You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Deep Stack Scary

edited January 2011 in Poker Chat
Couldnt sleep so looking at what was going on on here, £2.20 Deep Stack tourney about to start, only 8 entrants, so given that I keep meaning to play these but never get around to it I thought I would tonight.

All I can say is what a very strange experience, I thoghut I had entered a scary or chip and a chair tourny by mistake.

Level 3 blinds think they were 30/60 and people going all in with 10k in chips pre flop, I've never thrown so many good hands away, I think I entered into Tikay mode and dozed off for an hour.

Anyways get to final 3 ( top 2 get paid), and I'm short stack with something like 80 BB's and still we are getting pre flop all ins with blinds at 75/150, is this the norm for these types of tournies, cos it wasnt the slow paced leisurely experience that the narrative to the tourny described.

At least with the structure I could sit there confidently going fold fold fold and fold again, knowing that I was in no danger as yet, and thinking ok matey you are going to make that move once too often and I'll have a hand that I'm happy to play back at you. Finally it came and having managed to chip away at the other stacks now and then when given the opportunity, when I called and my hand held up I had a commanding chip lead going into heads up and eventually took down the £13.50 first prize.

Now whilst it was nice that the slow patient approach that these type of games should favour paid off and there was a resounding Yessssssssssssssssss when the game ended, my overall experience was one of bewilderment.

So for all of those of you who play these regularly, is this typical of these games, or was I just unlucky in entering a game where the nuances of trying to play poker were ignored, or am I behind the times and I should be getting my chips in more often

Appreciate any feedback as I'm a bit shell shocked, probably doubly shell shocked with the fact that I managed to win with Tikay plodding style

Aski :)

Comments

• edited January 2011
    The players that reg at these times ahve no idea about amount of BBs etc, they just saw a tournie just about to start and prssed the button.

EDIT:  If you find yourself at a loose end in the early hours again, you should look at sites with mainly American players as these will have far better games running.
  • edited January 2011
    Cheers Scotty

I did wonder if it was just a case of as you say here's a tourny I'll enter that , and then play as if it was a normal Sky Tourny, so I guess I will look at those Deep stacks that start at more sociable hours.

As for your advice re the sites that attract American players, I was actually playing 6 seat SNG on such a site at the same time, and managed to get one win and a second, so it was quite a profitable night for my limits anyways, but I am going to pay for it in the morning, work in 3 hours and still wide away :(
  • edited January 2011
    THe play in the 2.20 deepies isnt exectly great Aski, expessially at night, However the play is still far better than any bounty hunter or other 2.20 mtt on sky barring maybe the cheap totty. However at night it is a donkfest, i remember once i busted first had as my AA ended up all in pre against 94os. oh the irony.
  • edited January 2011
    Aski, its not usually that bad but can become a bit of a bountyhunter. you have a good few regs at both £2.20 & £5.50 so will be a bit harder for you next time.

Well done on the win, also i have a feeling reason became bit of a cr@pshoot is because it was so late maybe people were tired/drunk whatever, but you do get a few players in these anyway which is good :oD
  • edited January 2011
    i`v had the same before with 28 runners after 40 mins we were on final table with 5 off us, it was manic luckily i was getting the cards to take these players on so had a very healthy chip lead although the final table took over 2hrs to finish