You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Check? Raise? or Fold? (Your Big Blind Decisions)

A lot of the time I seem to get into trouble when i'm on the BB - for instance I may be holding absolutely nowt 59off for example, I decide to check and flop comes 5K9, I 3/4 pot bet and turn comes J and low and behold i'm now in a whole heap of trouble and consistently leaking chips.

Lets say we are holding nowt and four or more players flat call round to us, we now have the opportunity to check, raise or fold.

What are your thoughts on how to play from here?
Is our next move influenced by our own table image? (Tight, Loose or Passive)
Is our next move influenced by other players table image or a combination of both
?

Please discuss how you would make your play in this possition and what factors we should consider before making our play.

Thanks
Pokertrev.  

Comments

• edited January 2011
    If you have nowt often just check, if you hit big pot it and be wary of what your up against eg. me fold :p

Alot of post flop play if you miss i would fold unless you are heads up pot and your against someone you have a good read on. Also you should always take into account your villains image if you want to outplay them post flop eg. dont try out playing a limper/caller
  • edited January 2011
    In Response to Re: Check? Raise? or Fold? (Your Big Blind Decisions):
    If you have nowt often just check, if you hit big pot it and be wary of what your up against eg. me fold :p Alot of post flop play if you miss i would fold unless you are heads up pot and your against someone you have a good read on. Also you should always take into account your villains image if you want to outplay them post flop eg. dont try out playing a limper/caller
    Posted by YOUNG_GUN
    Ahhh good spot YG - This sort of thing has got me into trouble many times, I hit my cards, keep making the bets and keep getting the calls only to find out i'm behind. 
  • edited January 2011
    just keep bet/folding
  • edited January 2011
    In Response to Check? Raise? or Fold? (Your Big Blind Decisions):
    A lot of the time I seem to get into trouble when i'm on the BB - for instance I may be holding absolutely nowt 59off  for example, I decide to check and flop comes 5K9 , I 3/4 pot bet and turn comes J and low and behold i'm now in a whole heap of trouble and consistently leaking chips. Lets say we are holding nowt and four or more players flat call round to us, we now have the opportunity to check, raise or fold. What are your thoughts on how to play from here? Is our next move influenced by our own table image? (Tight, Loose or Passive) Is our next move influenced by other players table image or a combination of both ? Please discuss how you would make your play in this possition and what factors we should consider before making our play. Thanks Pokertrev.  
    Posted by POKERTREV
    Hi Trev,

I think an underused tool is raising into limpers, most of the time you will get a few to lay down and hopefully get heads up. Also if you hit hard as your example, its better against one or two players than three or four.
    Obviously, you cant do this a lot, but used sparingly, you would be surprised how many times it gets through.
    Sometimes there is nowt you can do, but get your self into a situation that means you are going to leak chips, not a lot you can do about it, im afraid.
    You could always fold on the BB lol.

col
  • edited January 2011
    4 or more players flatted,id raise 4xbb.
    get rid of the limpers first,see the flop and re evalueate from there
  • edited January 2011
    4 or more players flatted,id raise 4xbb. get rid of the limpers first,see the flop and re evalueate from there
    Posted by thejudge10
    I like the idea of this play and it is something i've used later on in tournies when BB is 200 or more, however, earlier on in tournies when BB's are only 15/30/50 etc this seems to get no respect. So would we be better to check fold our BB in the first few levels or raise it pre-flop much more significantly than 4xBB?
  • edited January 2011
    In Response to Check? Raise? or Fold? (Your Big Blind Decisions) : Hi Trev, I think an underused tool is raising into limpers, most of the time you will get a few to lay down and hopefully get heads up. Also if you hit hard as your example, its better against one or two players than three or four. Obviously, you cant do this a lot, but used sparingly, you would be surprised how many times it gets through. Sometimes there is nowt you can do, but get your self into a situation that means you are going to leak chips, not a lot you can do about it, im afraid. You could always fold on the BB lol. col
    Posted by mr_mbro

I do this if i think its a good spot
  • edited January 2011
    In Response to Re: Check? Raise? or Fold? (Your Big Blind Decisions) : I like the idea of this play and it is something i've used later on in tournies when BB is 200 or more, however, earlier on in tournies when BB's are only 15/30/50 etc this seems to get no respect. So would we be better to check fold our BB in the first few levels or raise it pre-flop much more significantly than 4xBB?
    Posted by POKERTREV

i have to agree here, as soon as theres a limper, no matter what i raise (usually x3,4) they still call...

no idea where i am at this point
  • edited January 2011
    In Response to Re: Check? Raise? or Fold? (Your Big Blind Decisions) : i have to agree here, as soon as theres a limper, no matter what i raise (usually x3,4) they still call... no idea where i am at this point
    Posted by Scottomus0
    Exactly my point scottomus - and this is the area which I most consistantly leak chips.

I raise to the limpers 3-4xBB which to be fair is only 120chips if the BB is 30. So we get at least 3 or 4 more callers to our raise, we then try a 1/2 or 3/4 pot raise only to be called again by at least 1 or 2 - we still don't know where we are and are either forced to check, fold to any bet or throw out a C-Bet and hope we are still ahead.

Perhaps in these early levels folding the BB pre-flop is the best option.
  • edited January 2011
    even early on raise,u urself hav a rag hand,3or 4 is plenty,if u have a premium hand raise more.
    so raise with ur rag hand,but dont get carried away with the flop,if u hit hard ,2pair,on a dry flop,an overbet as u might get paid off,suprisingly quite often,with a rag ace,but chances are u are ahead.
    on a wet flop bet out,but the chances are you,ll get called,or even pushed on,so then reevalueate.

dont know if this is correct,but hey i always try to play to win.
    always remember its still early on,u cant win it then,but u can lose it

hope this helps
  • edited January 2011
    In Response to Re: Check? Raise? or Fold? (Your Big Blind Decisions) : Exactly my point scottomus - and this is the area which I most consistantly leak chips. I raise to the limpers 3-4xBB which to be fair is only 120chips if the BB is 30. So we get at least 3 or 4 more callers to our raise, we then try a 1/2 or 3/4 pot raise only to be called again by at least 1 or 2 - we still don't know where we are and are either forced to check, fold to any bet or throw out a C-Bet and hope we are still ahead. Perhaps in these early levels folding the BB pre-flop is the best option.
    Posted by POKERTREV
    Try making it 6-7....8-9 etc, keep making it bigger till they fold, once you know what their limit is do that next time. In general though early on try and have a hand if your making big raises as a lot of bad players will flat with almost anything so you need something to fight back with.