You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

want opinions of how to play each stage after flop - NL4

edited January 2011 in The Poker Clinic
will add each subsecuent section after people submit there thoughts, good hand......i think anyway. I think I play it well, but want to see what others would do.

Oh and obv feel free to say if would have done anything different pre - im not used to playing 3 handed so not sure should of raised.
PlayerActionCardsAmountPotBalance
tapeworm Big blind  £0.04 £0.04 £4.00
devonfish5 Sit out     
  Your hole cards

A Call  £0.04 £0.08 £4.85
SCall  £0.04 £0.12 £3.41
tapeworm Check     
Flop

• A

tapeworm ??  

Comments

• edited January 2011
    raise pre,as u have a chance to take it down there,if u miss the flop,and some 1 leads out you have to fold.

After the flop,i would bet 3\4 pot,looks like your trying to stop straight,flush draw.so opponents might put u on the ace.now if re raised id shove.Now opponent might be re raising with a draw,so when u shove,makes his descision hard to make.If he has an ace,still a hard call to make as its such a draw heavy board.

Dont know if this is right but its the way i,d play it.
  • edited January 2011
  • edited January 2011
    In Response to Re: want opinions of how to play each stage after flop - NL4:
    Bet the pot.
    Posted by DOHHHHHHH
    i probably go for an overbet on the flop at this level. Youver said it youself they love to call.
  • edited January 2011
    We want them all to call or all to fold, with the equity we have in the hand.

We're trying to pot build.

• edited January 2011
    Ok so general feeling is bet....which I did - although by the sounds of it much too small....what now?
    devonfish5 Sit out     
      Your hole cards

S Call  £0.04 £0.12 £3.41
    tapeworm Check     
    Flop

• A

tapeworm Bet  £0.06 £0.18 £3.94
    A Fold     
    S Call  £0.06 £0.24 £3.35
    Turn

tapeworm ??    
  • edited January 2011
    keep betting very big
  • edited January 2011
    depending on your opponent I'd

bet 3/4 or pot, or
    check raise
  • edited January 2011
  • edited January 2011
    I decided to over bet here as this is what I have started to do ay NL4 with strong holdings. I am likely to be called here with any Ace (they dont look at the bet in relation to the pot - just the bet amount itself), two pair or set.

I have noticed that since i usually get called I make a profit quicker

Then he min raises my over bet. What would you do, and what do you now have him on - I had him on either air or a set (both popular tactics here for a min bet).
    devonfish5 Sit out     
      Your hole cards

S Call  £0.04 £0.12 £3.41
    tapeworm Check     
    Flop

• A

A Fold     
    SCall  £0.06 £0.24 £3.35
    Turn

tapeworm Bet  £0.32 £0.56 £3.62
    SRaise  £0.64 £1.20 £2.71
  • edited January 2011
    we only have the mugs end straight but can add a flush draw, even at this level a min raise screems of strenth. Id just get to showdown now unless river is a diamond.
  • edited January 2011
  • edited January 2011
    Go all in.
    Posted by DOHHHHHHH
    really?

i know where your comming from mate, however i just think out opponents showed huge strenth.
  • edited January 2011
    we have the 2nd nuts plus a draw to what would definitely be the best hand, not really a time for pot control.
  • edited January 2011

It's not even close, if we knew he was going to call, we go all in..........

Maybe we lose value just shoving I dunno, maybe some sort of pot committing raise would be better at this level.

As for proceeding with caution from this stage on, I really really don't understand that mind-set....If that's what you would do it's a massive mistake.

Think about his value range here.....

The mind-set of a nl4 player, "what does he think is the nuts here?"

A8, A7, A6, 78, 76, 45, 59, 9T, 66, 77, 88, AA, AK, AQ, (possibly every other Ax hand)

You have the above range crushed, and the 2 hands that crush us, we have the re-draw to 9 outs.

Don't ever pot control/look for showdown here, do anything and everything you can to get him to commit the rest of his money !!!!!!!!!!

• edited January 2011
    we have the 2nd nuts plus a draw to what would definitely be the best hand, not really a time for pot control.
    Posted by offshoot
    3rd to nuts, and usually id agree with both you and DOHHHHHH but this min raise at this level stinks of a huge made hand.
  • edited January 2011

But in the mind of a NL4 player, A8, A7, A6, 78, 76, 45, 59, 9T, 66, 77, 88, AA, AK, AQ, are all "huge made hands and worthy of showing massive strength"

Him showing huge strength is perfect for us.
  • edited January 2011
    must agree with dohhh here, its all to do with the mind set of the player and what he believes is strong. dont think you are going to lose any value in shoving, hes going to call!
  • edited January 2011
    So heres the hand in full.

I went for the pot commital raise, he shoves, i obviously call. He has 9,10 off completing a higher straight.

Im sure despite losing this hand, this was the right play in the long run. As Dohhh says i was crushing alot of a nl4 players range. Was positive it was a set due to limp pre once he shoved. Well there you go.....shows what thought does lol!!

Thought it was an interesting hand for debate though. thanks for everyones input.
    devonfish5 Sit out     
      Your hole cards

SCall  £0.04 £0.12 £3.41
    tapeworm Check     
    Flop

• A

A Fold     
    SCall  £0.06 £0.24 £3.35
    Turn

tapeworm Bet  £0.32 £0.56 £3.62
    SRaise  £0.64 £1.20 £2.71
    tapeworm Raise  £1.84 £3.04 £1.78
    SAll-in  £2.71 £5.75 £0.00
    tapeworm Call  £1.19 £6.94 £0.59
    tapeworm Show

SShow

River

SWin Straight to the 10 £6.41
  • edited January 2011

Don't do anything any different next time, apart from maybe get there on the river. lol.

UL, wp.
  • edited January 2011

gota say it - TOLD YOU SOOOO.