You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

is there really no place for limping in SNGs?

edited January 2011 in The Poker Clinic
i watched a repeat on sky with Gliterbabe and TK categorically saying that limping in SNGs is bad, is this really true???

in the early stages should you fold small/medium PPs is that the best strategy?

Comments

• edited January 2011
    dont play SnGs. play MTT and cash 70pc of the time :)
  • edited January 2011

Problem is you are turning your hand face up.
    Makes it very easy to exploit if your opponent is decent.

In any form of poker (cash, MTT's or SNG's) it is golden to be playing against people who open for different amounts dependent on hand type.

Small raise for everything is best I think.
  • edited January 2011
    Wouldn't limp with premium hands at any time, need to get rid of rubbish hands, would try to get a cheap look at a flop with small and medium pocket pairs early hoping to hit a set.
  • edited January 2011
    I tend to 3 x raise early levels unless people are being over aggro, reasons i do this:

Build a pot if i hit
    if i do hit a set often get paid as people dont put you on it
    likely other people fold
    if someone does have a hand easier to get away pre

i think its also ok to limp early position but if your happy to call a raise

BTW above i do in standard SNG, DYM i play it different and defo think its more acceptable to limp
  • edited January 2011
    I would love to see them do a SNG/DYM for £1.15 or £2.25 levels lol.

The idea of the game is to just double our money without risking our stack and some of the play I have seen at these levels is astounding, so for me keeping the pots low and limping works for certain levels.

Now £33.00 Dym is where your bet sizes get a little more respect, but even then I have been taken out by the odd limper whilst thinking I have the best hand lol.

I absolutely hate limping, but there's no point in raising too much at these levels just to get 4 or more callers. because they don't know the meaning of laying down a hand.

In MTT's & Cash it's much easier to get limpers to lay down a hand with a simple raise or re-raise but notoriously more difficult to do at low stake SNG's.
  • edited January 2011
    In Response to Re: is there really no place for limping in SNGs?:
    Problem is you are turning your hand face up. Makes it very easy to exploit if your opponent is decent. In any form of poker (cash, MTT's or SNG's) it is golden to be playing against people who open for different amounts dependent on hand type. Small raise for everything is best I think.
    Posted by jakally
    The bias against confrontation doesnt exist in cash games like it does in SNGs early on, so you certainly won't see it to the same degree. That said, yes, it is possible that someone tries to exploit  limps by iso'ing. We should be able to pick up on tables where that's going to be an issue/the players in question and hopefully adjust accordingly (mainly by open raising or open folding instead, as the case may be).

While some people will understand what we are doing early in a hand, we're probably not making the profit from the limps against these players in the first place nor was it the intent. We're capitalizing against the weak players who treat one pair as very strong and who are prone to limping hands like broadways and suited connectors (hence won't really often be narrowing your range past that).

Finally, many, even very good opponents play way too many tables nowadays. This makes it a lot harder to narrow a semi regular or random opponents range enough to be confident in him only and always having low pp's/having hit sets in given situations, which should work to our advantage here, where said regs in question probably be just as likely to group you with randoms that limp a bunch of randomly marginal hands early as they are to narrow you down to the few hands in your actual playing range.
  • edited January 2011

I don't mind the occasional limp very early (up to end of level 2) in a sng.

But i will only limp in early/mid position with hands that could potentially win a big pot, for example suited aces/small pp's. I'm raising ALL premiums and some other random hands like 56s just to balance it a bit. (obv not raising with 56s in a dym though)

If i'm on the button in an unopened pot i will always raise these hands.

If it goes limp limp limp and im on the button I will either raise or limp depending on what i feel about the table.

So ye, i dont think limping in sngs is terribad. As long as it's only in the very early stages when we have plenty of bb's.

It makes me sick when i continually see players in the dyms i play limp folding with less than 10bbs! One guy the other day limp folded with 2.5bbs. rofl! Although, these players are where i make my profit so they can keep doing it i guess!

• edited January 2011
    scotty i am impressed if you cash 70pc of the time in MTT'S, do you want to give some of us who are struggling to build a bankroll any advice.