You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

What to do next guys?

edited February 2011 in The Poker Clinic
Hey, guys as u can tell i am new here.

been playing for a few weeks on here playing abit of everything(sng's mtt's and cash)

i cant help but stay around the same £20 bankroll. my problem is i play a sng if i lose then i play another and win then lose and so on and so forth.

if i play a mtt i usually play the £1.10 buy in, i have came 2nd and 3rd before which means u don't win a great deal.

and with cash games i play 0.02/0.04p if i get on a roll then i might make a £1/£2 profit.

any ideas what to do next?

do i try and up the stakes at cash, play more expensive mtt's/sng's.

i guess im worried because im not a advanced player and i know the higher the stakes the more advance players there are.

thanks guys

Comments

• edited January 2011
    stick where you are for a bit mate, find your feet. you will know when to move up and when you do wait a mnth and then do it.
  • edited January 2011

What do think your the best at out of cash, sngs or mtt?

you only have 20quid br, so it will be a grind to build it up, but stick within your limits. Dont go jumping up the levels as 1 bad hand can knock you straight back down.

I wouldnt advise cash with 20quid br, but i dunno how you play.

How do you feel about your own play?
  • edited January 2011
    In Response to Re: What to do next guys?:
    What do think your the best at out of cash, sngs or mtt? you only have 20quid br, so it will be a grind to build it up, but stick within your limits. Dont go jumping up the levels as 1 bad hand can knock you straight back down. I wouldnt advise cash with 20quid br, but i dunno how you play. How do you feel about your own play?
    Posted by Norbit

It varies i guess, ive played a few mtt's i came 2nd and 3rd before but only in £1.10 buy ins sng's is up and down and cash the same.

i would say i play tight, unless i got a pp i wouldn't go betting pre flop, for example i just had aa's, and alot of ppl would go all in, the flop turned 3spades, turn called a spade and the other played had a spade i didn't, therefore i think if i would of gone all in i would of lost.

i thought i was doing well as the £20 br has been built up from the free tourny chip u get, so i havent had to deposit.
  • edited January 2011
    i sent you a pm, take a look it has some pretty good stuff that will help you out
  • edited January 2011
    I think with that roll and being new i DYM route is the way to go, not enough for cash (5 buy ins), personally i think you should at most be playing £1.15 DYM, throw the odd £1.10 tourney in there aswell to mix it up

I personally do get down to this amount from time to time but as im quite experianced i play terrible bankroll eg. £5 tourney works in my favour, but if you want to take seriously DYM or STT imo. if your struggling at any point post some hands in here for some good advice.

Welcome to the forum bobiscool, best of luck at the tables

Just thinking if you get to £25-£30 at any point treat youself to £2.20 Deepie or STT, that way you can take a shot, if you lose then stick to levels again
  • edited January 2011
    hey man thanks for the tips..i have played a couple of 2.20 deeps and 2.30 bounty hunters..problem i have is never fare good enough..i play way too tight and have trouble raising my chip count or knocking ppl out. i will very rarely raise pre flop unless i got pocket aces or kings..then if i call and get a good flop i find it difficult for ppl to call my bets(even if its not all in). so far i would say i have most cash playing cash games..but its about being patient and waiting for a killer hand which means my br isnt improving rapidly.
  • edited January 2011
    I think with that roll and being new i DYM route is the way to go, not enough for cash (5 buy ins), personally i think you should at most be playing £1.15 DYM, throw the odd £1.10 tourney in there aswell to mix it up I personally do get down to this amount from time to time but as im quite experianced i play terrible bankroll eg. £5 tourney works in my favour, but if you want to take seriously DYM or STT imo. if your struggling at any point post some hands in here for some good advice. Welcome to the forum bobiscool, best of luck at the tables Just thinking if you get to £25-£30 at any point treat youself to £2.20 Deepie or STT, that way you can take a shot, if you lose then stick to levels again
    Posted by YOUNG_GUN
  • edited January 2011
    Dunno what you have quoted me for twice ;) but thank you lol

By all means go down the cash route, as its the best way to win more in the long term(i play tourneys mainl). Problem is you have to have a minimum of 15 BI's for it, you can shortstack 50 BB, but again i wouldn't recommend that but it may suit you. Stick to what ever you enjoy the most & preferably if your cashing

the more you play deepies/BH ( both completely different and at opposite ends of the field ) the more aware you will be and will learn more in the long run, but i suggest playing them as milestone for getting to £25 or £30 as its nice to play something different and give yourself a rewards(see irishrover blog part 5)

If you can always reload then just play whatever you enjoy and if you get a result bonus, thats what i tend to do. I stay around even but play out of my bankroll which is not advised
  • edited January 2011
    Dunno what you have quoted me for twice ;) but thank you lol By all means go down the cash route, as its the best way to win more in the long term(i play tourneys mainl). Problem is you have to have a minimum of 15 BI's for it, you can shortstack 50 BB, but again i wouldn't recommend that but it may suit you. Stick to what ever you enjoy the most & preferably if your cashing the more you play deepies/BH ( both completely different and at opposite ends of the field ) the more aware you will be and will learn more in the long run, but i suggest playing them as milestone for getting to £25 or £30 as its nice to play something different and give yourself a rewards(see irishrover blog part 5) If you can always reload then just play whatever you enjoy and if you get a result bonus, thats what i tend to do. I stay around even but play out of my bankroll which is not advised
    Posted by YOUNG_GUN

no idea why it done that for stupid thing lol.

yeh i have played a couple of deep stacks and bounty hunters, think my main problem is that i play too tight, i never feel comfortable enough to bet big  pre flop, unless i got aa or kk, also after the flop has happened if i end up flopping a good hand and start to bet people always fold and i only end up just win the blinds.

there fore during the tournys i get short stacked as i'm not gaining as much chips as i'd like too.

so i play cash games and its more about patience, waiting for a good hand to bet with, but at the stakes i play having a good hand could only end up winning you about 50p which means my bankroll goes up slowly.

guess i was wondering if it would be beneficial to take the next step and go up in stakes, i must be doing something right as i've got £22 from not even depositing and came 2nd and 3rd in 2 mtt's..

thanks for the help though mate

• edited January 2011
    Hi Bob,

This could be a clever bluff thread, i.e say you don't feel comfortable pre flop raising except aa kk lol.
    Seriously, if you continue in this vain, you will never improve your game or bankroll. the best advice is to concentrate on one discipline at a time, with your bankroll start with low stakes DYM's, at this level you can experiment a little with raising(in position) with hands like suited connectors, small pairs etc, but when you do raise by at least 3x bb. If you only bet when you have good hands people will cotton onto you very very quickly and you will get no action at all.
    Another thing would be to watch the poker clinic or poker school to get a view of how most people see the game.

col
  • edited January 2011
    Hi Bob, This could be a clever bluff thread, i.e say you don't feel comfortable pre flop raising except aa kk lol. Seriously, if you continue in this vain, you will never improve your game or bankroll. the best advice is to concentrate on one discipline at a time, with your bankroll start with low stakes DYM's, at this level you can experiment a little with raising(in position) with hands like suited connectors, small pairs etc, but when you do raise by at least 3x bb. If you only bet when you have good hands people will cotton onto you very very quickly and you will get no action at all. Another thing would be to watch the poker clinic or poker school to get a view of how most people see the game. col
    Posted by mr_mbro
    This bit is very level dependent, at 30p DYM's no-one cares what you're doing lol.

On what to do with £22 I would recomend playing NL4 cash but just one table and having a rule that once you lose say £1 - £2 stop playing, have a break for a few hours then come back to it (this is mainly due to getting a bit of tilt and trying to wash it away, tilt is very bad when you only have 5 BI's ;) ). It takes discipline but using it I worked my way up to around £45, yes it's not amazing by any means but it was nice to prove it was possible. I've stopped playing the cash now as MTT's are more fun but it's always there as a back up.
  • edited January 2011
    In Response to Re: What to do next guys? : This bit is very level dependent, at 30p DYM's no-one cares what you're doing lol. On what to do with £22 I would recomend playing NL4 cash but just one table and having a rule that once you lose say £1 - £2 stop playing, have a break for a few hours then come back to it (this is mainly due to getting a bit of tilt and trying to wash it away, tilt is very bad when you only have 5 BI's ;) ). It takes discipline but using it I worked my way up to around £45, yes it's not amazing by any means but it was nice to prove it was possible. I've stopped playing the cash now as MTT's are more fun but it's always there as a back up.
    Posted by Dudeskin8
    thanks guys, i noticed that when i watch master cash on tv and stuff, the amount of betting pre flop is alot differently, therefore if i am sitting there with a mid pp, and someone does big bet then i am slightly reluctant to call because they must have high cards, and as soon as a high card hits on the flop and i don't hit the trips then i am thinking his pair is beating mine. just think i need to stick at the stakes i am on for a bit.

question.....do you find the way people play the game with higher stakes that much different to low stakes?

thanks for the help guys
  • edited January 2011
    Hi Bob, This could be a clever bluff thread, i.e say you don't feel comfortable pre flop raising except aa kk lol. Seriously, if you continue in this vain, you will never improve your game or bankroll. the best advice is to concentrate on one discipline at a time, with your bankroll start with low stakes DYM's, at this level you can experiment a little with raising(in position) with hands like suited connectors, small pairs etc, but when you do raise by at least 3x bb. If you only bet when you have good hands people will cotton onto you very very quickly and you will get no action at all. Another thing would be to watch the poker clinic or poker school to get a view of how most people see the game. col
    Posted by mr_mbro

thanks alot, i know that if i get a killer hand on the flop then there is no point me going all in because i know unless someone has a killer hand they will all fold, The only trick  i have up my sleeve is that i tend to play is that if i get a good hand on the flop is checking to see if someone bets then re-raising him lol. also channel 865 is constantly on ;-)
  • edited January 2011
    if i only had £20 to spin up i would play short stack poker, also i believe for a new player this is also a good way to start off playing as it relies on hand strength and position and doesnt give you to many decisions to make, its very easy to learn and its a good way to get started even more so with a low roll, if you want to find out more about this let me know and il point you in the right direction
  • edited January 2011
    if i only had £20 to spin up i would play short stack poker, also i believe for a new player this is also a good way to start off playing as it relies on hand strength and position and doesnt give you to many decisions to make, its very easy to learn and its a good way to get started even more so with a low roll, if you want to find out more about this let me know and il point you in the right direction
    Posted by N1CK
    ok..so i guess short stack is 2000 chips...so dyms? thanks for the help
  • edited January 2011
    In Response to Re: What to do next guys? : ok..so i guess short stack is 2000 chips...so dyms? thanks for the help
    Posted by Bobsicool3
    no shortstacking is sitting at a cash table with a small stack so if you sit at nl4 instead of the full buyin of £4 you sit with like £1ish double up and change table , everyone hates a shortstacker but it does work lol (if you know what your doing)
  • edited January 2011
    In Response to Re: What to do next guys? : no shortstacking is sitting at a cash table with a small stack so if you sit at nl4 instead of the full buyin of £4 you sit with like £1ish double up and change table , everyone hates a shortstacker but it does work lol (if you know what your doing)
    Posted by N1CK
    ahhh i c, i been doing that 0.02/0.04 i been sitting with £1.. worked well for me.
  • edited January 2011
    In Response to Re: What to do next guys? : ahhh i c, i been doing that 0.02/0.04 i been sitting with £1.. worked well for me.
    Posted by Bobsicool3
    just wait for premium starting hands i guess it works better on full ring (10 seat tables) as you get more hands before the blinds hit you
  • edited February 2011

Ok guys so since this post i have been on a good run and currently have £50 bankroll...

i have been playing £3.30 sit and go's and a couple of £5.50's and some cash games at 0.02/0.04

I am contemplating stepping up the stakes abit now to see how i fair, does anyone think this is a good idea or bad as i am a new player.

• edited February 2011
    i think you 3.30 & £5 are high enough for now, maybe once over £100 then step up have a couple shots then come back down if it doesnt work out
  • edited February 2011
    It depends alot on what you are good at, and what you enjoy.

You can use some of the online tools, like Sharkscope to analyse some of your stats and performances. Like others have suggested I would stick to one format while you are still relatively new to the game and try to learn a lot about that, and then add the other formats as you get more confident and skilled.
  • edited February 2011
    sorry to hi jack the thread - but i have a question regarding advice being given saying Bobsicool should stick at 5.50 SNGs (welcome to the forums btw)

hes obviously doing well as he has nearly doubled up - but how many buyins does a player need in their BR to play a sit and go?

10% of your bankroll seems quite steep.......but im a nit and i rarely play them so maybe im missing a trick?????
  • edited February 2011
    sorry to hi jack the thread - but i have a question regarding advice being given saying Bobsicool should stick at 5.50 SNGs (welcome to the forums btw) hes obviously doing well as he has nearly doubled up - but how many buyins does a player need in their BR to play a sit and go? 10% of your bankroll seems quite steep.......but im a nit and i rarely play them so maybe im missing a trick?????
    Posted by tapeworm
    I play all sorts , i prefer Sit n go's as i feel as though that is what i am good at, if i lost a 5.50 sng, i would then go and play another and most of the time i feel as though i can win and normally do, which wouldn't leave me out of pocket.

however this probably doesn't really answer your question cos i guess different players have different rules on how much of your bankroll to use. i am confident in sit and go's and don't normally care about the bankroll.

what games do you usually play?
  • edited February 2011
    a bad idea, play 5.50 dym's if you are winning more than not but once you lose 2 in a row it would prob be wise to step back down to 3.30 or even 2.25 until you win a few more, stepping up too early will most likely end in trouble, just stick where you are now it is building ur bankroll nicely
  • edited February 2011
    sorry to hi jack the thread - but i have a question regarding advice being given saying Bobsicool should stick at 5.50 SNGs (welcome to the forums btw) hes obviously doing well as he has nearly doubled up - but how many buyins does a player need in their BR to play a sit and go? 10% of your bankroll seems quite steep.......but im a nit and i rarely play them so maybe im missing a trick?????
    Posted by tapeworm
    10% is a bit steep but if you regularly win more than you lose then it is ok imo, i often play with 10% of my BR in dyms and if i lose a couple i just drop down a level or 2.

I think 5% is the recommended amount to stake in dyms but my BRM has never been the greatest!
  • edited February 2011
    ahhh DYMs - sorry i thought we were talking standard SNGs. DYMs should have a lower % of your bankroll (I belive?) - that said, sack it - play with how you feel comfortable.....dont chase losses though......big mistake.

I pretty much always play cash and therefore have quite a bad playing mentality to any kind of SNG or MTT.....although i have the odd dabble