You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Did i play this really badly new player wanting advice

edited February 2011 in The Poker Clinic

I was playing in a tournament yesterday. Blinds 200-400.
Player 1 tight passive 3500 chips ish
Player 2 loose aggresive 6500 chips ish
Player 3 me tight aggresiveish 6500ish chips

Player 1 limps for 400, player 2 limps OTB for 400 i have Q9 Hearts in the bb i check.
Flop Jh 10 8 rainbow. I flop the nuts! I bet 1000 into 1600. Both call.  I cant put them on JJ, 10 10 or 88 as i think both of them will raise preflop with these hands as that is how the table is playing.  I guess player1 may have JQ and player 2 im not too sure.
Turn card 8 h 
Im not really bothered about the 8 as they both called a big bet on the flop.
I check with the intention of raising all in.
Player 1 bets 400 ? Player 2 raises 1200, i now put him on an 8 and player 2 on JQ for sure. I shove thinking my read is good. i have the nut straight and a flush draw
Player 1 folds and player 2 doesnt look too impressed. He tanks for a while which makes me feel better about my shove.
He eventually calls with A 8 my read was good and feel lik i cant lose.
River J ! Full house for Player 2
Gutted!
What did  do wrong if anything

Comments

• ybyb
    edited January 2011
    bet the turn yourself.
  • edited January 2011
    In Response to Re: Did i play this really badly new player wanting advice:
    bet the turn yourself.
    Posted by yb
    Yeah i thought that but if i bet say 3000 i am pretty much pot commited and he calls or shoves on anyway with his trips doesnt he, and i ahve to call i guess
  • edited January 2011
    Jansen, 1st mistake not raising pre flop with suited connectors in blinds you may not get A8 to fold but you would get more respect with your bet if when flop comes u shove with the nuts. He would put you on top pair trips or a draw. Shoving when you do have it will get u more respect at table/table image when you show it even if you win or lose. Second mistake is checking the turn when the board has paired meaning you are up against trips or worst case a house, you could have been dead when you shoved on the turn but it came on the river instead. Above is what the books would tell you but another way to look at it is if you had jammed on the flop with no callers opponents see your agression and become wary of you that is what you are after. You play with caution against players who raise it pre flop and then jam on the flop they usually have it. Or you were just destined to lose tons in that play. Either ways learn from it and have fun. Danny
  • edited January 2011

Just a bad beat, only thing is like others said and lead the turn.
  • edited January 2011
    Ship it pre-flop imo

Punish limpers.

Ok the A8 might call still, but at least you put the decision on them. the dead money is worth picking up.
  • edited January 2011
    Dis-agree with shoving pre here, bet turn ony mistake but same outcome just unlucky here

Welcome to the forum bud
  • edited January 2011
    what if you lead the turn and the oppo just flats. then the board is now double paired, you have the majority of your stack in the middle and you either feel too comitted to the pot to fold or you leave yourself with a crippled stack by folding. the way it played out you got all the money in the middle miles ahead just v.unlucky to be outdrawn. played perfect in my opinion, especially with player 2 being loose aggressive, and if you knew he was going to bet in that position (after you showed weakness) check-raising allin was the best move i feel. 

• edited January 2011
    what if you lead the turn and the oppo just flats. then the board is now double paired, you have the majority of your stack in the middle and you either feel too comitted to the pot to fold or you leave yourself with a crippled stack by folding. the way it played out you got all the money in the middle miles ahead just v.unlucky to be outdrawn. played perfect in my opinion, especially with player 2 being loose aggressive, and if you knew he was going to bet in that position (after you showed weakness) check-raising allin was the best move i feel. 
    Posted by hurst05
    Nice new avator hursty, is it lol raises ATM?
  • edited January 2011
    In Response to Re: Did i play this really badly new player wanting advice : Nice new avator hursty, is it lol raises ATM?
    Posted by YOUNG_GUN
    its everyones at the min ;[
  • edited January 2011
    In Response to Re: Did i play this really badly new player wanting advice : its everyones at the min ;[
    Posted by hurst05

UL mate, sure will soon change. can always pop into tourneys and low stakes and take all mine :p
  • edited February 2011
    Hey guys

Really appreciate you all taking the time to read and reply.  I think i played it the way most of you would. If i had shipped it post flop i think i get most of them to fold, but with the nuts on a rainbow bored im not getting the value.  I will learn from this !
    Cheers guys.

Ps played in a live tourney the other night. JJ in bb. 6 handed i had 22,000. 1st position raised 7, 000, blinds 1 and 2,000, i shipped for 22,000 he called eventaully with KQ off ! King on turn lol ! dont tell me i did wrong cos i wont believe you lol !

Jansen