You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Total donk?

edited February 2011 in The Poker Clinic
Am I a donk here or does this scream of a missed draw?  I can't think he checks a Jack twice
.  It just doesn't make any sense to me.  This is a new player to this table.
PlayerActionCardsAmountPotBalance
XXX Small blind   100.00 100.00 6305.00
Mylena Big blind   200.00 300.00 9203.50
  Your hole cards

BSP Fold        
ronnie2313 Fold        
Wilhelm Raise   600.00 900.00 3090.00
XXX Call   500.00 1400.00 5805.00
Mylena Fold        
Flop

• J

XXX Check        
Wilhelm Check        
Turn

XXX
Check        
Wilhelm Bet   800.00 2200.00 2290.00
XXX Call   800.00 3000.00 5005.00
River

• J

XXX
All-in   5005.00 8005.00 0.00
Wilhelm        ?

Comments

• edited January 2011
    IMO you may be right but to call and go all in and risk your tournement on a pair of 7s when any jack, ten and overpair beat u is this worth the call and finding out your wrong?

your gunna have better spots to put ur chips in

he may have had trip 2s or a jack with low kicker
  • edited January 2011
    Just fold, yes you've put a lot into the pot in total but you're never good here. Also check turn as you have showdown value.
  • edited January 2011
    In Response to Re: Total donk?:
    Just fold, yes you've put a lot into the pot in total but you're never good here. Also check turn as you have showdown value.
    Posted by Dudeskin8
    I bet the turn as a stopper for the river.  I love it when a plan comes together.
  • edited January 2011
    Posted by Dudeskin8

what do u mean by you have showdown value?

could u explain plz m8

cheers
  • edited January 2011

Why didn't you cbet the flop?

• edited January 2011
    showdown value means that when the hands are turned, you have something which is capable of beating airballs and bluffs- depending on board texture, showdown value could mean A or even K/Q high, single pair, or on very straighty/flushy boards, any low flush/2 pair/set. It's definitely not the nuts, so you wouldn't often value bet, but you don't have to bet to win the pot- a check behind can often leave you with the best hand.

As played, I think it's a weak jack, or entirely possibly he had a monster all the way through and 'slowplayed' it, before blitzing the river. Sounds like he's a typical donk to me.

What kind of tourney is it? If this is a bounty hunter he has the nuts like 99% of the time.
  • edited January 2011
    showdown value means that when the hands are turned, you have something which is capable of beating airballs and bluffs- depending on board texture, showdown value could mean A or even K/Q high, single pair, or on very straighty/flushy boards, any low flush/2 pair/set. It's definitely not the nuts, so you wouldn't often value bet, but you don't have to bet to win the pot- a check behind can often leave you with the best hand. As played, I think it's a weak jack, or entirely possibly he had a monster all the way through and 'slowplayed' it, before blitzing the river. Sounds like he's a typical donk to me. What kind of tourney is it? If this is a bounty hunter he has the nuts like 99% of the time.
    Posted by DeucesLive
    It's a deepstack.
  • edited January 2011
    Why didn't you cbet the flop?
    Posted by yuranASSet
    This player is liable to check-raise.
  • edited January 2011
    In Response to Re: Total donk? : This player is liable to check-raise.
    Posted by Wilhelm
    LOL thought it was a new player to the table no reads ect...

coz c betting is deffo the better option  imo
  • edited January 2011
    In Response to Re: Total donk? : LOL thought it was a new player to the table no reads ect... coz c betting is deffo the better option  imo
    Posted by WHOAMI196
    Apart from that one...
  • edited February 2011

If you think he is going to ply back at you and check raise with air or 3bets from the blind then fold pre flop if you not going to play poker on the flop, that aside, back to the original question, I donk think your a donk, I think it's a pretty easy fold especially with no read.

• edited February 2011
    As played, I think it's a weak jack, or entirely possibly he had a monster all the way through and 'slowplayed' it, before blitzing the river. Sounds like he's a typical donk to me. What kind of tourney is it? If this is a bounty hunter he has the nuts like 99% of the time.
    Posted by DeucesLive

THIS
  • edited February 2011
    If you think he is going to ply back at you and check raise with air or 3bets from the blind then fold pre flop if you not going to play poker on the flop, that aside, back to the original question, I donk think your a donk, I think it's a pretty easy fold especially with no read.
    Posted by yuranASSet
    That's assuming that I folded.
  • edited February 2011
    [QUOTE]If you think he is going to ply back at you and check raise with air or 3bets from the blind then fold pre flop if you not going to play poker on the flop, that aside, back to the original question, I donk think your a donk, I think it's a pretty easy fold especially with no read.
    Posted by yuranASSet

So what you are saying is: give up.

I don't need to play poker on the flop, I have showdown value.
  • edited February 2011

Never-mind the villain in the hand, with that player in the big blind I definitely wouldn't be opening this wide.

Also if you're gonna open, I don't think a 3x open is needed with these blinds and stacks, 450 is fine.

If you're taking the line of pot control/getting to showdown on the flop, what was the thinking behind a bet on the turn?

• edited February 2011
    Never-mind the villain in the hand, with that player in the big blind I definitely wouldn't be opening this wide. Also if you're gonna open, I don't think a 3x open is needed with these blinds and stacks, 450 is fine. If you're taking the line of pot control/getting to showdown on the flop, what was the thinking behind a bet on the turn?
    Posted by DOHHHHHHH
    Posted by Dudeskin8

I bet the turn as a stopper for the river.  I love it when a plan comes together.
  • edited February 2011
    Yeh but the 800 on the turn, could be used to call a reasonable bet on the river.

Inflating the pot with the intention of pot controlling doesn't make sense, it's probably something that would work in the monthly £220 d/stack, but not a cheepy deepy.....

I just fold the river, but had I checked behind the turn, it's a good river card to call off a reasonable bet. 

• edited February 2011
    In Response to Re: Total donk? : [QUOTE ]If you think he is going to ply back at you and check raise with air or 3bets from the blind then fold pre flop if you not going to play poker on the flop , that aside, back to the original question, I donk think your a donk, I think it's a pretty easy fold especially with no read. Posted by yuranASSet
    So what you are saying is: give up. I don't need to play poker on the flop, I have showdown value.
    Posted by Wilhelm

Listen you don't open btn 97o preflop with the intention of getting showdown value.... why? because a good tricky opponent will pot turn and river when you check behind on the flop and then where's your showdown value. Cbet the flop.
  • edited February 2011
    In Response to Re: Total donk? : So what you are saying is: give up. I don't need to play poker on the flop, I have showdown value. Posted by Wilhelm
    Listen you don't open btn 97o preflop with the intention of getting showdown value.... why? because a good tricky opponent will pot turn and river when you check behind on the flop and then where's your showdown value. Cbet the flop.
    Posted by yuranASSet

TBF I am opening predominantly to steal the blinds.