You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Jam the turn/check the river as played

edited February 2011 in The Poker Clinic
PlayerActionCardsAmountPotBalance
macman65 Small blind  £0.04 £0.04 £6.34
jonney102 Big blind  £0.08 £0.12 £7.20
  Your hole cards
  • K
  • K

mattless Raise  £0.32 £0.44 £8.16
chapman02 Fold     
habbin Fold     
xCall  £0.32 £0.76 £4.80
macman65 Call  £0.28 £1.04 £6.06
jonney102 Fold     
Flop

• Q

macman65 Check     
mattless Bet  £0.78 £1.82 £7.38
xCall  £0.78 £2.60 £4.02
macman65 Fold     
Turn

mattless Bet  £1.95 £4.55 £5.43
Call  £1.95 £6.50 £2.07
River

• Q

mattless Bet  £3.25 £9.75 £2.18
All-in  £2.07 £11.82 £0.00
mattless Unmatched bet  £1.18 £10.64 £3.36
mattless Show
  • K
  • K

xShow
  • Q
  • J

xWin Full House, Queens and 6s £9.84  £9.84
Opinions please on the hand above. No reads on oppo, except that he is short stacked and therfore I'm not giving him much credit (although sometimes at these levels it appears to me that short stackers aren't necessarily worse esp. those with approx 60bb) Is this a situation where I should be jamming turn against short stack as I'm confident I'm ahead? As played it seemed obvious he had the queen so is river bet a mistake?

Comments

• edited February 2011
    Had an identical hand at 30nl last week.....

At the time, I questioned if I played the hand wrong, but throughout the hand, I was sizing my bets to try and comfortably get the opponents stack in by the river with a half pot bet.

You seem to have done the same.....

Unfortunately they are gonna get there occasionally, I think you sized your bets perfectly throughout. 

Hope I'm right.......................
  • edited February 2011
    In Response to Re: Jam the turn/check the river as played:
    Had an identical hand at 30nl last week..... At the time, I questioned if I played the hand wrong, but throughout the hand, I was sizing my bets to try and comfortably get the opponents stack in by the river with a half pot bet. You seem to have done the same..... Unfortunately they are gonna get there occasionally, I think you sized your bets perfectly throughout.  Hope I'm right.......................
    Posted by DOHHHHHHH
    At the time was happy with my flop bet and turn bet, suppose I'm only questioning turn bet because a queen comes on river. Over time do I lose value against  a queen by going all in on turn?

He can only be calling with a Q or 6 pre river so therfore is a check correct on river?
  • edited February 2011
    check/call river- gives him a chance to bluff you. You're never getting called by worse than a house if you bet, but letting him take the initiative means there's a fair chance of him bluffing with his busted straight/flush draws. He might even check a 6, giving you a cheaper showdown- because he's calling you all day with a 6.
  • edited February 2011

I'm really not sure about the river, if you check, he puts the last 2 quid in, and you're getting 4/1, are you gonna be winning here 20% of the time? - Probably not.....

But I'm just so p'd off and frustrated at this point, I just spite call incase he's played 89 like a plonker.

You're probably gonna lose value at higher levels by jamming the turn, just making a pot committing bet keeps him in with a wider range of hands, it's pretty much the same thing........

At nl4, a turn jam might be effective? - Wait and see what the regular players at that level think.....

Personally I think you played the hand spot on and 96% of the time, you get all his money.

• edited February 2011
    if you check river it should be to check/fold imo