You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

when to stand up from a cash table???

edited February 2011 in The Poker Clinic
hi all my question is simple when do we stand up from a cash table?????? this seems a really easy question to answer but its one that gets me in trouble every time i will explain

A) say i sit down with the full buy in i double up over time but seem to be hitting cards so dont want to ruin my chances of getting more dosh so i sit there then play 2 or 3 hands badly then im down to having to rebuy my self so instead of been in profit im losing.

b) i have lost my bank roll and have to stand up lol

what i want to know is i see players on here on multi tables so is it they stand up after so many buy ins  up or get to a target figure then stand up or just keep going till the cards turn 

i want to make a ok ish profit but all ways come undun
any advice welcome and i hope you understand my question clearly

chef boy

Comments

• edited February 2011
    i normally keep playing until ive either
    1) played for ~2hours (after which i find that concentration decreases and i start to play bad)
    2) on such super massive monster tilt that i rage quit all tables and open shove a few hands
  • edited February 2011

When I have to close 1 eye to see the buttons.
  • edited February 2011
    cash is all one big session, you should only stand up if you feel youre on tilt or are not playing your A game. Your problem doesnt arise from not knowing when to stand but more likely from your play.
  • edited February 2011
    chefboy, i know this will sound rather odd, and im very usuall for cash so what my advice here offers is not your average run of the mill stuff and i expect alot of critism from other players.

I play until im not comfortable on a certain table, This could be im down a BI or 2 and dont feel i can recover it, or my stack is getting too big. Im a very odd player in the sense of i hate having a very big stack in comparrassion to the table, This seems to be something you mentioned a little in your opening post.

A) say i sit down with the full buy in i double up over time but seem to be hitting cards so dont want to ruin my chances of getting more dosh so i sit there then play 2 or 3 hands badly then im down to having to rebuy my self so instead of been in profit im losing.

What i will suggest and i have bolded the part where i think your noticing something yourself. Why do you play these hands badly? Are you caseing more money? Do you dislike being 200BB deep?

If your chasing money then drop down the stakes it will help.

If you dislike being 200BB deep then switch tables more often and have shorter sessions with shorter breaks.
  • edited February 2011
    very general rule of thunb for me is, nl20 for example. triple up (60) then if i get to 70 come off or drop to 50 come off, never lost more  than 2 bi before wont let myself do it.!!. and the other rule of thumb ,like dohhhh is "one eyed poker" or i cant get my head off the table!!!
  • edited February 2011
    the lovely thing about online poker is you can stand up whenever you like and easily find another cash table straght away.

if you feel aparticular table no longer holds any value, then stand up and find another. generally i find that if i have found a table where i am winning hand over fist, other reg players will see how easy the field is and tend to sit down to get a cut.

Once the table loses value - or i know there is a particular player i tend to lose against, i will stand up and find another table.

and if i feel i am playing badly, i will play xbox for a bit to chill out and have another crack in a few hours - or better yet the next day
  • edited February 2011
    In Response to Re: when to stand up from a cash table???:
    cash is all one big session, you should only stand up if you feel youre on tilt or are not playing your A game. Your problem doesnt arise from not knowing when to stand but more likely from your play.
    Posted by offshoot
    This is as good an answer as you'll get.