You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Auto check/fold on this river?

edited February 2011 in The Poker Clinic
This is my first hand at this table.

I have absolutely no reads on villain & no notes either. TBH, I don't recognise the name but then I haven't been playing these levels for a while.

I raised pre because I saw his limp OTB to be weak. The flop gives me TPGK & I figure that he might have also hit a weaker king too (I can't see him having AK here as he surely would've 3 bet me pre, although I would never actually rule it out altogether). I figured that he could well have called my c-bet on the flop to float & see what I do on the turn.

At the time I didn't think the turn had changed things too much so if I was ahead before then I'm likely ahead now, although I think I do also have to be wary of hands like A5 which a few people at these levels like to play. When he just flats here I'm pretty convinced that it's more than likely he's on the flush draw.

Low & behold the 3rd club comes on the river :(

I have a couple of questions about this hand.

1 - What's the general feeling about raising pre here & does it change with the fact that this is my very first hand at the table with no reads or notes?
2 - Is a check/fold the best option on the river if he bets big/shoves here? If I check then what, if any bet size should I be calling here as it is possible that he could bluff hitting the flush here if I check?

As ever, feel free to comment on any part of the hand good or bad
PlayerActionCardsAmountPotBalance
 Sit out     
 Sit out     
 Small blind  £0.10 £0.10 £19.27
silentbob Big blind  £0.20 £0.30 £19.80
  Your hole cards
  • K
  • Q

Fold     
villain Call  £0.20 £0.50 £13.34
 Fold     
silentbob Raise  £0.60 £1.10 £19.20
villain Call  £0.60 £1.70 £12.74
Flop

• K

silentbob Bet  £1.20 £2.90 £18.00
villainCall  £1.20 £4.10 £11.54
Turn

silentbob Bet  £3.00 £7.10 £15.00
villain Call  £3.00 £10.10 £8.54
River

silentbob ???    

Comments

• edited February 2011
    3 ways to play river here,

Bet-Fold =  theres no way you can bet fold here lol so void this option

Bet = Most of the time you have the best hand so might aswell go for it..

Check-call = puts you in an awkward spot if he shoves the only real move villain has, prob calling a small bet

Check-fold = a weak line, hoping he checks ofc and is oppo orientated to fold here,

I prefer betting it tbh, i think he prob a fish for not buying in for the full amount. to value bet or set him in? that is the question imo!!!
  • edited February 2011
    Bet bigger on flop and turn, and it's an easier spot to shove on the river....

Also raise more pre......(if at all)

I'm ducking these sorta questions recently, because I look more at the bet sizing on previous streets to see if we can try and avoid them......

I'd like to think someone would correct me if I'm wrong, but the best way to play tough spots out of position is to not get in them in the first place. (lol - cop out #2)

Aghhhhhhhhhhh it's so sick.......

I've typed the last bit 3 times and deleted it 3 times, have no idea.

What cud he have?

Any flush draws that got there, 67, KT, KJ, KQ.....

I think you have to check fold to a strong bet.

If he turns KT, KJ into a bluff on the river, "well played"

• edited February 2011
    c/f is fine without reads
  • edited February 2011
    In Response to Re: Auto check/fold on this river?:
    Bet bigger on flop and turn, and it's an easier spot to shove on the river.... Also raise more pre......(if at all) I'm ducking these sorta questions recently, because I look more at the bet sizing on previous streets to see if we can try and avoid them...... I'd like to think someone would correct me if I'm wrong, but the best way to play tough spots out of position is to not get in them in the first place. (lol - cop out #2) Aghhhhhhhhhhh it's so sick....... I've typed the last bit 3 times and deleted it 3 times, have no idea. What cud he have? Any flush draws that got there, 67, KT, KJ, KQ..... I think you have to check fold to a strong bet. If he turns KT, KJ into a bluff on the river, "well played"
    Posted by DOHHHHHHH
    I think his betting on the flop and turn is ok imo getting decent value, pre is played weak tho. the only way you can realisticly  avoid the tough spot on the river is to check the turn not to relentlesly betting pot all the the way imo,  or narrow his range more by betting stronger pre.

Tbh with ya if ithought he was a muppet (probably is) and felt i was ahead on the flop id happily get it in no problem even with that re tarded river
  • edited February 2011
    i think raising pre is fine i make it a bit bigger as im oop, i think flop (maybe a touch bigger) and turn is fine and i would bet 8.54 on the river
  • edited February 2011
    i think raising pre is fine i make it a bit bigger as im oop, i think flop (maybe a touch bigger) and turn is fine and i would bet 8.54 on the river
    Posted by N1CK
    You have to put him on exactly King Jack to do this right?
  • edited February 2011
    If I raise more pre against 1 oppo does that not just scream that I don't want to get called & look weak or is that just some kind of warped thinking on my part?

• edited February 2011
    If I raise more pre against 1 oppo does that not just scream that I don't want to get called & look weak or is that just some kind of warped thinking on my part?
    Posted by silentbob
    Not if you make it standard for all your range......

A bigger raise looks stronger than a smaller one, not weaker.

Raising out of the big blind here after a limper is going to look strong anyway......

At these levels, think less about what it looks like you are doing, and more about what you are actually doing...........

Your raising because you want more money in the pot right? - So if he calls you, happy days.

If he's limp/3 betting the button, just to exploit you, then gl to him! lol 

My standard at 30nl is 4x, +1 per limper without notes.

So I'd be making it a quid total here from the BB.
  • edited February 2011
    In Response to Re: Auto check/fold on this river? : You have to put him on exactly King Jack to do this right?
    Posted by DOHHHHHHH
    no kj k9 k7 some funky pocket pair like jj he got cute with i just couldnt live with myself if i check the river and he chks back with a weaker king
  • edited February 2011
    In Response to Re: Auto check/fold on this river? : You have to put him on exactly King Jack to do this right?
    Posted by DOHHHHHHH
    Not really.

He's limped the button.

So he's obviously not good.

He'll pay you off with any K and quite possibly second pair too if he is a non believer.

If he has got the flush then oh well, time to top-up and beat him in another hand.
  • edited February 2011
    Bet bigger on flop and turn, and it's an easier spot to shove on the river.... Also raise more pre......(if at all) I'm ducking these sorta questions recently, because I look more at the bet sizing on previous streets to see if we can try and avoid them...... I'd like to think someone would correct me if I'm wrong, but the best way to play tough spots out of position is to not get in them in the first place. (lol - cop out #2) Aghhhhhhhhhhh it's so sick....... I've typed the last bit 3 times and deleted it 3 times, have no idea. What cud he have? Any flush draws that got there, 67, KT, KJ, KQ..... I think you have to check fold to a strong bet. If he turns KT, KJ into a bluff on the river, "well played"
    Posted by DOHHHHHHH
    KT beats us.

We only beat KJ i think, however amount in the middle, bet/call or check/fold for me, because of that value already in bet/call my prefered option, spewy maybe though.