You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Live poker, what to do if your cards are turned over during deal?

edited February 2011 in Poker Chat
Last night I was playing in a friendly tournement and was dealt a king but it turned over as the dealer sent it across the table. I was asked if I wanted to keep it knowing that all the players knew I had the king of dimonds or if I wanted another card.

I had a new card dealt to me and we kept the king face up in the muck.

What would normally happen if this occured at a serious tournement

Comments

• edited February 2011

Exactly what did happen. You cannot keep the exposed card.

In some Roooms it's a complete Misdeal but in most Rooms, the procedure above is the norm.

You can never keep the exposed card, anywhere.
  • edited February 2011
    There was a bit of a funny during the GUKPT final table (one of Dan's hands IIRC) where the dealer went to deal the turn and instead of burning he flipped over two cards, and then took one and stuck it in the burn. I thought that may go a bit moody but the hand played out as normal.

• edited February 2011
    In Response to Re: Live poker, what to do if your cards are turned over during deal?:
    There was a bit of a funny during the GUKPT final table (one of Dan's hands IIRC) where the dealer went to deal the turn and instead of burning he flipped over two cards, and then took one and stuck it in the burn. I thought that may go a bit moody but the hand played out as normal.
    Posted by NoseyBonk
    Again, perfectly correct. The difference is that "action had taken place" so the hand continues. The burn card that was erroneously turned face up is displayed for all to see, so nobody is at an advantage or disadvantage, & the play of the hand has not been affected - excactly the right Turn card was used, nothing has changed.

• edited February 2011
    In Response to Live poker, what to do if your cards are turned over during deal?:
    Last night I was playing in a friendly tournement and was dealt a king but it turned over as the dealer sent it across the table. I was asked if I wanted to keep it knowing that all the players knew I had the king of dimonds or if I wanted another card. I had a new card dealt to me and we kept the king face up in the muck. What would normally happen if this occured at a serious tournement
    Posted by jugglegeek
    Just to add an extra little point which Tikay didn't mention. Say you were dealt third and your card was flipped over, the dealer takes the card back and the next card goes to the 4th player.. You DO NOT get the next card on the deck. Then when all other players have been dealt their 2 cards you will then get your 2nd card.
  • edited February 2011
    In Response to Re: Live poker, what to do if your cards are turned over during deal?:
    In Response to Live poker, what to do if your cards are turned over during deal? : Just to add an extra little point which Tikay didn't mention. Say you were dealt third and your card was flipped over, the dealer takes the card back and the next card goes to the 4th player.. You DO NOT get the next card on the deck. Then when all other players have been dealt their 2 cards you will then get your 2nd card.
    Posted by FlashFlush
    i have seen the exposed card used as the first burnt card before. not sure if this correct, but doing this does allow the original flop to come out,   
  • edited February 2011
    In Response to Live poker, what to do if your cards are turned over during deal?:
    Last night I was playing in a friendly tournement and was dealt a king but it turned over as the dealer sent it across the table. I was asked if I wanted to keep it knowing that all the players knew I had the king of dimonds or if I wanted another card. I had a new card dealt to me and we kept the king face up in the muck. What would normally happen if this occured at a serious tournement
    Posted by jugglegeek
    Good thing its kicker was not a K :)
  • edited February 2011
    In Response to Live poker, what to do if your cards are turned over during deal? : Good thing its kicker was not a K :)
    Posted by waynec
    It was 3s. I was then dealt a Qd instead. Didn't really make any difference as I was in mid possition early in the tournement. I would have folded either hand. KK on the other hand, I would have kept it for sure.
  • edited February 2011
    One thing thats confused me is if the dealer accidently deals 3 cards to one player, obviously this would usually go unoticed till the players checks his/her cards, so say that player is last to act, and theres action what would happen?
  • edited February 2011
    One thing thats confused me is if the dealer accidently deals 3 cards to one player, obviously this would usually go unoticed till the players checks his/her cards, so say that player is last to act, and theres action what would happen?
    Posted by The_Don90
    His hand is ruled dead. It's his own fault - it was HIS responsibility to make it known he had 3 cards BEFORE anyone acted. If he fails to do so, well it's just unlucky, but his hand is as dead as zed.

It may seem unfair, but it's one hand of poker, & we don't judge our poker results on on hand, we base them on the long-term, & a hand one way or another here & there is no big deal. Or misdeal.....
  • edited February 2011
    In Response to Re: Live poker, what to do if your cards are turned over during deal? : His hand is ruled dead. It's his own fault - it was HIS responsibility to make it known he had 3 cards BEFORE anyone acted. If he fails to do so, well it's just unlucky, but his hand is as dead as zed. It may seem unfair, but it's one hand of poker, & we don't judge our poker results on on hand, we base them on the long-term, & a hand one way or another here & there is no big deal. Or misdeal.....
    Posted by Tikay10
    we had excatlly this at the pub on tuesday,hand was played out and guy flips over pockets kings to win the hand then notices he has a third card under one of the kings. i said the had is dead at all the chips are returned.he thought the hand should of stood so was a bit miffed :)
  • edited February 2011
    I once pointed out a miss deal.  The dealer had started dealing at the button, not the small blind,  I pointed this out just as a bet was made,  the dealer took my cards and mucked them.

One of the players had made a bet just before the cards were mucked,  he pointed out that action had taken place so the hand had to stand.  My cards were the only two in the muck, so I asked for them back.  I was told they were in the Muck and I couldn't have them back.  

Very Annoying