You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

tournement cash bubble

edited February 2011 in The Poker Clinic
Hi guys, first time posting, recently ive been running deep in tourneys, but i always seem to crash out just before the cash, even being chip leader in a few of them, my question is how should i play towards the bubble? Ive tried being both tight and aggressive and both to no avail. When i play tight i try to pick spots but i get constantly raised by bigger stacks and when your card dead theres not much you can do, But when i play aggressive, i always seem to spew my chips, and if i sit on my large chip stack and wait for premium hands i usually blind down too much. Can anyone give me some advice on what to do? I play to win tournements but when i keep going out on or around the bubble it annoys me a little, especially when im one of the chip leaders. Can you guys give me any tips? Thanks

Comments

• edited February 2011
    Hi,

welcome to the forum, personally i think opposite to the table is good. if you are chip leader its good to be aggressive but if others are you might aswell wait for a good spot or strong hand. if your average stacked look for those who are tightening up and waiting for the bubble to burst and raise them. Shortstack shove if less then 15bb find a spot unopend or shove limpers etc

hope this helps

John
  • edited February 2011
    hi robyoung
    welcome to the forum mate
    i to struggle some times to male the cash but when u play at the begining of a tourny like u say u some times your chip leader well your doing some thing right i find that when im chip leader i seem to play loose which costs me thousands of my chips so i try and play A B C poker which has worked for me and just try and get some chips by making sensible raises with live cards not total rubbish hope this helps mate
    good luck

chefboy
  • edited February 2011
    When you get down to say 10BB the strength of your cards isn't that important, you need to find a spot to shove asap. For example; if you're on the button and it's folded to you then you should just shove any two, you don't have time to wait for a premium hand. If you do get called your cards will have reasonable equity (chance of winning) against anything except an overpair.

If I'm card dead I will happily shove 62o while my stack is still big enough to force the blinds to fold a good proportion of the time. If I get called by something like AK then that's fine, I'm happy to get that call, I will have around a 35% chance of doubling up, that's much more desirable than sitting there complaining that I'm card dead while gradually blinding out. A premium hand is pretty useless when nearly all your chips have gone. 

Good luck at the tables. Play for the win, not the min cash.
  • edited February 2011
    In Response to Re: tournement cash bubble:
    When you get down to say 10BB the strength of your cards isn't that important, you need to find a spot to shove asap. For example; if you're on the button and it's folded to you then you should just shove any two, you don't have time to wait for a premium hand. If you do get called your cards will have reasonable equity (chance of winning) against anything except an overpair. If I'm card dead I will happily shove 62o while my stack is still big enough to force the blinds to fold a good proportion of the time. If I get called by something like AK then that's fine, I'm happy to get that call, I will have around a 35% chance of doubling up, that's much more desirable than sitting there complaining that I'm card dead while gradually blinding out. A premium hand is pretty useless when nearly all your chips have gone.  Good luck at the tables. Play for the win, not the min cash.
    Posted by GaryQQQ
    thats the way forward ^^ to play for the win unless ur playing wsop me or somethink masive dont play to min cash gl!
  • edited February 2011
    thanks for the advice guys, and garyqqq, i do that anyways but if anyone asks i have aces everytime :)