You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

£5.50 DYM, Call River Shove?

edited February 2011 in The Poker Clinic
ID:0338158488
No reads on Villain.
Preflop, im happy with as its very early in a dym.
Flop and turn i think i played ok, but would welcome comments here?

Now, when the board pairs on river, i check to call. But when he shoves, it makes my decision harder. Would you fold as its early in a dym and he could be overbetting his FH hoping i can't lay my flush down? Or is he simply bluffing me off the pot because i checked the river.. Should i have bet/folded river? if so what size bet would you have put out?

Important to remember this is a Double your Money SNG in the early stages. 

PlayerActionCardsAmountPotBalanceBigBEN15 Small blind  15.00 15.00 1415.00 GREGHOGG Big blind  30.00 45.00 2000.00   Your hole cards A Q       VillainCall  30.00 75.00 2352.50 carioca66 Fold     rainman001 Fold     PUX Call  30.00 105.00 1975.00 BigBEN15 Call  15.00 120.00 1400.00 GREGHOGG Check     Flop    3 7 K       BigBEN15 Check     GREGHOGG Bet  90.00 210.00 1910.00 VillainCall  90.00 300.00 2262.50 PUX Fold     BigBEN15 Fold     Turn    Q       GREGHOGG Bet  225.00 525.00 1685.00 VillainCall  225.00 750.00 2037.50 River    Q       GREGHOGG Check     VillainAll-in  2037.50 2787.50 0.00 GREGHOGG WTF??   

Comments

• edited February 2011
    Depending on who the villain is I personally call here. Yes, I know it's a DYM but he could easily being doing this with a worse flush. If the board had paired on the flop then I'd be more worried about the FH but as it came paired with running cards I think it's less likely (although obviously not entirely out of the question).

The way I see it is that if I double up here then I'm as good as paid in this game & on to the next one.
  • edited February 2011
    I have to call here. Anything less than the nut flush and I fold. If he has the fh, then so be it- but so many times he doesn't, you double up- and as bob says, you're as good as cashed. DYMs aren't so easy that you can fold your way to victory, you have to have one big hand at some point- might as well make it early and make life easy for yourself, if you have the chance.
  • edited February 2011
    are you worried about pocket 3s or 7s not many Queens left..............I DONT THINK I COULD EVER FOLD THIS
  • edited February 2011
    KQ is there, just. ye and 33, 77.
  • edited February 2011
    In Response to Re: £5.50 DYM, Call River Shove?:
    KQ is there, just. ye and 33, 77.
    Posted by GREGHOGG
    Hi Greg

On that board i think i would call. Why well if they are on the full house then so be it, but if they were siting on a set, they have played it weakly, on that flush heavy board. My main worry would be kq with all the calling, possibly a jack flush but in for a penny in for a pound.
    if you put in a pot sized bet your decision would be easier, when they push.
    col
  • edited February 2011
    i thought the villain was in the SB....im having second thoughts now i can defo see him playing 77 33 like this he flats the flop looking for non spade then flats turn looking to improve......hmmm it doesn't make much sense to shove the river unless he has a house  this is pretty sick greg

i think as its a fiver dym i would call he prolly dont care what hand you could have and thinks his jack is the nutz
  • edited February 2011
    Call and sitout.
  • edited February 2011
    Call and sitout.
    Posted by Dudeskin8
    call close eyes
  • edited February 2011
    This is very opponent dependant and you have said you have no reads on them, OK.

This is how it breaks down for me, I think.

A decent player is only ever over-betting with a full-house here, as you said, to get a high flush to call. So how can this be a decent player? Well, 33, 77 and KK are all within his range pre-flop as he limped utg and there was no raise. These hands can all make a fine flat call on the flop for pot control on such a scary board. However, calling 3/4 pot on the turn with the 4th spade is too thin for me and I think we can rule out a decent player who flopped a set.

The only other full-house a decent player can have is KQ which again would be OK pre-flop and on the flop but I don't think can call the turn.

So, I'm afraid, I'm putting this person down as not the best. This makes it hard as they could now be on a flopped set which they have fairly butchered post-flop. If not they need to be on KQ, Q7 or Q3 to make a house. Surely even a poor player would not call on the flop with Q7 or Q3 with no spade? 

So now I'm thinking my opponent is not the best and does not have the full house. So it's either a stone bluff or the J spades I guess? Something in the back of my mind, though, is sreaming that this is a flopped flush (8-9/10-9/10-J/9-J) gone hugely wrong.

In terms of playing the hand before the river I think checking pre is fine but I don't like leading out on the flop into 3 opponents with no hand. I would prefer to check/call the flop given a good price and preferably multi-way, check/fold otherwise. I like the turn bet, keep getting money in the pot. Check/call a sensible bet on the river as you had planned.

With regard to calling the river or not, I'm 90% that folding is correct given that it's level 2 of a DYM and you have 50 odd BBs behind. In a £5.50 one, though, against an unknown, I have to say I probably look him up. I'd be interested to know what he did have.

JC
  • edited February 2011
    spoton john i would call mainly because of the stake higher level probably a better player as john said enogh behind to still be in the game 3 winners
  • edited February 2011
    i call but only coz i don't like folding!

the only thing i disagree with the johnconnor has said is that villain would fold KK,77,33 on the turn. imo almost no1 at this level passes any of those on the turn and pays 225 to try n fill up, and then double up
  • edited February 2011
    i call but only coz i don't like folding! the only thing i disagree with the johnconnor has said is that villain would fold KK,77,33 on the turn. imo almost no1 at this level passes any of those on the turn and pays 225 to try n fill up, and then double up
    Posted by SHANXTA
    At the stage where I say they would fold a set on the turn I am assuming a decent player. I don't think a decent player calls 3/4 pot to hit one of his 10 outs, that's very weak. 

I 100% agree with you that, at this level, most players would call to fill up given the wrong price. This is what I was saying later when I said that it could be a poor player who has flopped a set and butchered it.
  • edited February 2011
    In Response to Re: £5.50 DYM, Call River Shove? : At the stage where I say they would fold a set on the turn I am assuming a decent player. I don't think a decent player calls 3/4 pot to hit one of his 10 outs, that's very weak.  I 100% agree with you that, at this level, most players would call to fill up given the wrong price. This is what I was saying later when I said that it could be a poor player who has flopped a set and butchered it.
    Posted by JohnConnor
    ah sorry i may have mis-read your post slightly

although vs certain players i'm calling 225 on the turn here knowing i can stack them if i fill up, and still be confident of cashing from 1.7k when i don't
  • edited February 2011
    This is very opponent dependant and you have said you have no reads on them, OK. This is how it breaks down for me, I think. A decent player is only ever over-betting with a full-house here, as you said, to get a high flush to call. So how can this be a decent player? Well, 33, 77 and KK are all within his range pre-flop as he limped utg and there was no raise. These hands can all make a fine flat call on the flop for pot control on such a scary board. However, calling 3/4 pot on the turn with the 4th spade is too thin for me and I think we can rule out a decent player who flopped a set. The only other full-house a decent player can have is KQ which again would be OK pre-flop and on the flop but I don't think can call the turn. So, I'm afraid, I'm putting this person down as not the best. This makes it hard as they could now be on a flopped set which they have fairly butchered post-flop. If not they need to be on KQ, Q7 or Q3 to make a house. Surely even a poor player would not call on the flop with Q7 or Q3 with no spade?  So now I'm thinking my opponent is not the best and does not have the full house. So it's either a stone bluff or the J spades I guess? Something in the back of my mind, though, is sreaming that this is a flopped flush (8-9/10-9/10-J/9-J) gone hugely wrong. In terms of playing the hand before the river I think checking pre is fine but I don't like leading out on the flop into 3 opponents with no hand. I would prefer to check/call the flop given a good price and preferably multi-way, check/fold otherwise. I like the turn bet, keep getting money in the pot. Check/call a sensible bet on the river as you had planned. With regard to calling the river or not, I'm 90% that folding is correct given that it's level 2 of a DYM and you have 50 odd BBs behind. In a £5.50 one, though, against an unknown, I have to say I probably look him up. I'd be interested to know what he did have. JC
    Posted by JohnConnor
    i agree

also i think they do call the turn with implied odds hence the shove on the end
  • edited February 2011
    um why do we check the river? we has the biggest and bestest flush there is!

I call all day long in this spot though, and just lol if I'm wrong
  • edited February 2011
    In Response to Re: £5.50 DYM, Call River Shove? : i agree also i think they do call the turn with implied odds hence the shove on the end
    Posted by N1CK
    Thanks for the feedback, especially JC for your in depth reply, much appreciated.

I agree that the flop bet was strange and that i should prob just c/c, although i dont mind betting out with the draw here because im building the pot should i hit, or i might even tid with the 1 bet!

he only had implied odds if he was up against someone who couldnt fold the nut flush to a large bet

I FOLDED the nut flush and typed in the chat box, i cant beat a full house...

Then, after watching the guy play the next few hands realised that i had probably made a mistake in folding...

Oh well, i still doubled up:)

But, Mandy pandy, i would love it if you could show this one pls?

• edited February 2011
  • edited February 2011
    Sorry but...

HAHAHAHAHA.
  • edited February 2011
    Arise Sir Ubernit of nitsville! ;-)

• edited February 2011

Sigh

Ed!

I did check to induce the bet. Just not that big a bet.

If i knew something about the player i woulda snapped.

• edited February 2011
    WOWWOWOWOWOW !!!

Just saw on the channel OMG !
  • edited February 2011
    WOWWOWOWOWOW !!! Just saw on the channel OMG !
    Posted by Dudeskin8
    I don't think Ed liked the way i played the hand lol.

• edited February 2011
    what did he have? I didn't watch
  • edited February 2011
    what did he have? I didn't watch
    Posted by pryce6
    Q4 (4 of spades) so a small flush.

I am still not entirley sure what he was trying to acheive with his river shove and with the strange calls on the flop/turn. I imagine he must have thought his hand was good! i have no idea, i can't relate to someone who limps with junk like that and then calls 2 streets in a redic position.

I am still satisfied that, having no read on the chap, that my fold was not that terribad. People do overshove with the nuts here sometimes. And as you can see i didnt have a clue where i was. Even if i lead the river, he could still make this redic shove. So i think c/c was the right policy. Its just arguable whether you want to call off your whole stack early in a dym.(yes i know i had a big hand but there were still several full houses out there!) If you get it wrong you lose a fiver. If you fold you can still win a fiver (and i did)
  • edited February 2011
    You final sentence answers my question - ie, you cashed - job done.

Whilst I probably would have value bet the river and called if oppo had shoved (reluctantly), I agree that in level 1 of a dym, as played, it's the one format of the game in which your play is totally understandable. Ideally in a DYM, you never want to be calling all in at any point, and don't need to imo

• edited February 2011
    In Response to Re: £5.50 DYM, Call River Shove? : Q4 (4 of spades) so a small flush. I am still not entirley sure what he was trying to acheive with his river shove and with the strange calls on the flop/turn. I imagine he must have thought his hand was good! i have no idea, i can't relate to someone who limps with junk like that and then calls 2 streets in a redic position. I am still satisfied that, having no read on the chap, that my fold was not that terribad. People do overshove with the nuts here sometimes. And as you can see i didnt have a clue where i was. Even if i lead the river, he could still make this redic shove. So i think c/c was the right policy. Its just arguable whether you want to call off your whole stack early in a dym.(yes i know i had a big hand but there were still several full houses out there!) If you get it wrong you lose a fiver. If you fold you can still win a fiver (and i did)
    Posted by GREGHOGG
    Nah terriawful lol