You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

One of the good guys

edited February 2011 in Poker Chat
I was contacted by PM the other day by an old friend from the glorious Tribeca days. That may not mean much to some of the newer players but trust me they were glorious At least for us golden oldies they were. 

Anyway this guy has been away from the game for afew years due to work commitments and now that he's back on the scene he decided to look me up so to speak, and tracked me down to this place. You will probably come across him at the tables (he's getting back into the game in a modest, slowly, slowly, catchee monkey way by playing some low level stuff atm) and his playing name is Ironm - real name Mike.

The guy was/is/will be again, a formidable opponent at the tournament tables, but more importantly, he really is one of the good guys. I'm sure he will pop up on here when he plucks up the courage so please make him welcome. He will be an asset to this community I'm sure.

Welcome back to poker Mike.

Comments

• edited February 2011
    im sure we will welcome him with open arms, just remind him that he has to be very very careful what he can and cant say on here. ps does he know what the rake % is at those levels hehehe   phil
  • edited February 2011
    Hi lads, cheers for the intro Alan - I do hope your right with the formidable opponent bit!

Ta Pod1 for the warning re the rake - better get me stake up to a decent level asap!

Liking the mtts over here - have a sort of tribeca feel to them - well a lot more than pokerstars or fulltilt.

• edited February 2011
    welcome to The Sky Poker Community m8y Run Well gl on the tables
  • edited February 2011
    welcome mike.

The rake isnt too bad, as i started on sky i guess im used to it, what i will say though is i think these tournaments are soo much harder than that to Pokerstars, i havent played on fulltilt long enough to comment on that, long story sick first hand and withdrew the rest of my money. lol.

Im sure the rest of the community will welcome you too - bit late for them now i suppose, but tomorrow.
  • edited February 2011
    Thanks for the welcome - looking forward to meeting you guys with some card in front of me.
  • edited February 2011
    In Response to Re: One of the good guys:
    Thanks for the welcome - looking forward to meeting you guys with some card in front of me.
    Posted by ironm
    Welcome mike best of luck on the virtual felt .
  • edited February 2011

Welcome mike. I never listen to that Alan as he has a stupid name and he never answers my questions, but I wish you well on the tables and hope to see you contribute to the forum......just stay out of area51!
  • edited February 2011
    i think these tournaments are soo much harder than that to Pokerstars
    Posted by The_Don90

I think most people will dis-agree here donny, i have played in pokerstars dont find it too hard but the standard is worse here

anyways Iron welcome to the forum, best of luck & maybe see you at the tables

Regards
    John
  • edited February 2011
    Welcome mike. I never listen to that Alan as he has a stupid name and he never answers my questions, but I wish you well on the tables and hope to see you contribute to the forum......just stay out of area51!
    Posted by MAXALLY

Stupid name ............. yeah I'll give you that one ..... Elsa is a 7st Dobermann btw. and she would love to debate the name with you. :o)

Didn't know you'd asked me any questions Alan ..... definitely didn't ignore it/them/you intentionally.

• edited February 2011
    In Response to Re: One of the good guys : I think most people will dis-agree here donny, i have played in pokerstars dont find it too hard but the standard is worse here anyways Iron welcome to the forum, best of luck & maybe see you at the tables Regards John
    Posted by YOUNG_GUN

I tend to agree but it has a lot to do with what level you are playing. The micro levels are comparative although in some of the big guarantee micros such as the $3 60k there is a mix of very poor through to the very skilled. The higher stakes on FT and PS are on a different plain altogether. 

3x and 4x raises, players actually fold on there. On here it's a red rag to a bull and you end up in a 5 way pot.

• edited February 2011
    Welcome Iron Mike

May you cards be hot and your wife understanding ;o)

xx
  • edited February 2011
    In Response to Re: One of the good guys : Stupid name ............. yeah I'll give you that one ..... Elsa is a 7st Dobermann btw. and she would love to debate the name with you. :o) Didn't know you'd asked me any questions Alan ..... definitely didn't ignore it/them/you intentionally.  
    Posted by elsadog

LOL. I meant the 'Alan' part of your name :)    Down girl.
    The only question I am waiting an answer on is this two parter.....

.....How are the cards shuffled after the flop on Sky using the RNG and why do they charge micro players more rake?

• edited February 2011
    Good questions 

Bernie is your man not me m8

Yeah Alan or Allen is daft ....... it means exit in Welsh ....... you don't think it's a Welsh RNG do you? That would explain our tournament exits maybe.
  • edited February 2011
    In Response to Re: One of the good guys : I think most people will dis-agree here donny, i have played in pokerstars dont find it too hard but the standard is worse here anyways Iron welcome to the forum, best of luck & maybe see you at the tables Regards John
    Posted by YOUNG_GUN
    im going by my experiances sir.

maybe its the level im playing on stars but cooler and bad beat preventing which is happening alot just now i think id cash in 80% of tournament on stars, the amount of crazy plays ive seen and players there maybe regarded as a higher standard but i dont think so. I think maybe if 1 in 10 players in a tournament are good obviously on stars that means theres more good players there because of the sheer numbers they have.

The only thing that i believe make sky tournaments easier is simply the fewer numbers means a win is slightly more achieveable on a regular basis.
  • edited February 2011
    In Response to Re: One of the good guys : I tend to agree but it has a lot to do with what level you are playing. The micro levels are comparative although in some of the big guarantee micros such as the $3 60k there is a mix of very poor through to the very skilled. The higher stakes on FT and PS are on a different plain altogether.  3x and 4x raises, players actually fold on there. On here it's a red rag to a bull and you end up in a 5 way pot.
    Posted by elsadog
    Do you think this would have anything to do with the fact sky run 6 players tables and the others 10? I mean i tend to have a stab with KQ,JK etc on here but would tend to fold 10 seated, especially out of position.
  • edited February 2011
    Welcome Iron Mike May you cards be hot and your wife understanding ;o) xx
    Posted by TRIP5
    I'd rather his wife be hot and I understood his cards...........welcome to the loony bin Mike....have fun.
  • edited February 2011
    In Response to Re: One of the good guys : Do you think this would have anything to do with the fact sky run 6 players tables and the others 10? I mean i tend to have a stab with KQ,JK etc on here but would tend to fold 10 seated, especially out of position.
    Posted by loonytoons

PS run 6 and 9 man tables 

• edited February 2011
    "I'd rather his wife be hot and I understood his cards...........welcome to the loony bin Mike....have fun. "

Unfortunatley not managed to win myself one of those yet - as the saying goes: Unlucky in love, lucky at cards.

I'm currently in 2 minds about the 6 seater tables here - i certainly cannot complain with a win on a mtt deepstack the other day - but think for the stt a 9 seater may be better as on the double up people seem to double through and then just sit until another 2 are taken out - bit boring not much sport in that is there?
  • edited February 2011

Welcome aboard ironm - I'm from next door, where the thread started.

Good to see you here. Enjoy.
  • edited February 2011
    In Response to Re: One of the good guys : im going by my experiances sir. maybe its the level im playing on stars but cooler and bad beat preventing which is happening alot just now i think id cash in 80% of tournament on stars, the amount of crazy plays ive seen and players there maybe regarded as a higher standard but i dont think so. I think maybe if 1 in 10 players in a tournament are good obviously on stars that means theres more good players there because of the sheer numbers they have. The only thing that i believe make sky tournaments easier is simply the fewer numbers means a win is slightly more achieveable on a regular basis.
    Posted by The_Don90
    !!

• edited February 2011
    Welcome aboard ironm - I'm from next door, where the thread started. Good to see you here. Enjoy.
    Posted by tikay1
    Already having some fun - thanks a lot for pointing me in this direction and helping me track down Alan.
  • edited February 2011
    In Response to Re: One of the good guys : Already having some fun - thanks a lot for pointing me in this direction and helping me track down Alan.
    Posted by ironm
    There are not many of us ex-Tribeca nutcases still around - minimum age requirement must be pretty high........

To think, after all that time that so many of us played there, & it was "home" to so many of us, those nice peeps from i-poker came along & snap destroyed the software, literally, just like that, overnight, now you see it, now you don't, come play on i-poker or get lost. Lovely.

Very sad, I thought. Of course, almost none of us went across to i-Poker, & no wonder, I could not half tell you some horror-stories from those people. Very nice people, mind, obv. 

When peeps come on here & say they can get this & that super-duper rakeback deal at i-Poker, I just have to keep schtum, & hope they have their eyes & ears wide open. Good luck them.
  • edited February 2011
    I shared a table with Humpo a few months back and shared a table with Moorman two nights ago.

I realise you have all probably heard of Humpo but Moorman is quite good too.

Ex-Tribca's don't die off easily.
  • edited February 2011
    In Response to Re: One of the good guys : There are not many of us ex-Tribeca nutcases still around - minimum age requirement must be pretty high........ To think, after all that time that so many of us played there, & it was "home" to so many of us, those nice peeps from i-poker came along & snap destroyed the software, literally , just like that, overnight, now you see it, now you don't, come play on i-poker or get lost. Lovely. Very sad, I thought. Of course, almost none of us went across to i-Poker, & no wonder, I could not half tell you some horror-stories from those people. Very nice people, mind, obv.  When peeps come on here & say they can get this & that super-duper rakeback deal at i-Poker, I just have to keep schtum, & hope they have their eyes & ears wide open. Good luck them.
    Posted by Tikay10
    I basically stopped after ipoker came along - good to know there is a chance I will run into a few of the ex-Tribeca nutcases!  I hope they have kept thier table names the same or i will be screwed if the remember mine ;)
  • edited February 2011
    In Response to Re: One of the good guys : !!
    Posted by Tikay10
    yea, in my experiance on that particualar site, ive found big fields full of "lesser-abilityed" players. I think thats the nice way to put it.

As ive stated im playing at low stakes so this is maybe why.

However i think for all these tournaments are harder to win, they are easier to cash in. Im actually very disappointed to be down on that sitem, playing MTTs only, however ive looked over my exit hands and not a single one would i want to play different. Getting my stack as low sometimes yes i would play hands before hand different,
  • edited February 2011
    In Response to Re: One of the good guys : yea, in my experiance on that particualar site, ive found big fields full of "lesser-abilityed" players. I think thats the nice way to put it. As ive stated im playing at low stakes so this is maybe why. However i think for all these tournaments are harder to win, they are easier to cash in. Im actually very disappointed to be down on that sitem, playing MTTs only, however ive looked over my exit hands and not a single one would i want to play different. Getting my stack as low sometimes yes i would play hands before hand different,
    Posted by The_Don90
    Quite possibly, possibly not, but you cannot seriously expect to cash in 80% of Tourneys on 'Stars!

8% is MUCH nearer.

'Stars is a great site, no doubt about it, but even though I'm on the other side of the fence, & pehaps biased, you can't go telling people they can achieve an 80% cash rate in Tourneys on any site, anywhere, any time! It's simply not possible. Anyone who thinks otherwise is heading for a nasty shock, I'm afraid, & I'd rather we did not mislead anyone. There's a lot of gullible peeps around, & we must (imo) be responsible in what we tell them.

"lesser abilitied" players are not as easy to beat as you may think, they are not, that's why poker is so popular - ANYONE can bink a win here & there.

If Hellmuth or Dwan or whoever played 10 Main Events on Sky Poker, they'd be lucky to cash twice from 10, & win 1 in 100. If they get lucky. Poker is a great leveller. Thank God.
  • edited February 2011
    I shared a table with Humpo a few months back and shared a table with Moorman two nights ago. I realise you have all probably heard of Humpo but Moorman is quite good too. Ex-Tribca's don't die off easily.
    Posted by elsadog

We dont die off we just take long sabbaticals.
  • edited February 2011
    I think 11% is readily achievable if you can stay awake long enough 'cos the fields can be mega. 

I play the mid stakes  180 seat sit'n'goes ................ and I just won one about 2 minutes ago :o)
  • edited February 2011
    In Response to Re: One of the good guys : Quite possibly, possibly not, but you cannot seriously expect to cash in 80% of Tourneys on 'Stars! 8% is MUCH nearer. 'Stars is a great site, no doubt about it, but even though I'm on the other side of the fence, & pehaps biased, you can't go telling people they can achieve an 80% cash rate in Tourneys on any site, anywhere, any time! It's simply not possible. Anyone who thinks otherwise is heading for a nasty shock, I'm afraid, & I'd rather we did not mislead anyone. There's a lot of gullible peeps around, & we must (imo) be responsible in what we tell them. "lesser abilitied" players are not as easy to beat as you may think, they are not, that's why poker is so popular - ANYONE can bink a win here & there. If Hellmuth or Dwan or whoever played 10 Main Events on Sky Poker, they'd be lucky to cash twice from 10, & win 1 in 00. If they get lucky. Poker is a great leveller. Thank God.
    Posted by Tikay10
    i revolke my statement because im an idiot who says silly things.
  • edited February 2011
    I think 11% is readily achievable if you can stay awake long enough 'cos the fields can be mega.  I play the mid stakes  180 seat sit'n'goes ................ and I just won one about 2 minutes ago :o)
    Posted by elsadog
    Yup, I'll buy that. Bit short of 80%, though!

Well done on the win, too.