You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

A thread for micro players - NL4 - NL10 - open to all to comment (obv)

edited February 2011 in The Poker Clinic

Low limit is sooooooo different to other limits that i think it deserves its own thread.

now dont get me wrong, i 100% appreciate the higher stakes regs advice.....but sometimes it applys to people who are playing against an opposition that dont understand pot odds.....when to fold......starting hands......are drunkun shoving every hand.

I personally find it hard - i go up to £100.....back down to £80 and back to £100 again. And repeatedly am told - if you cant beat low limits then dont go up................I agree.

But there is no point in an NL4 Player thinking any further than.........level 1......fact. A good poker player this makes not. The advice you get when you post is great - in fact you would never get a top reg replying to your NL4 post like i have, on any other site.

HOWEVER: the top guns speak of range, VPP.....etc......this isnt something we need to worry about, not yrt - but it is great to see/ put into context. i think what we could do with is a thread where NL4-10 put there peice in.....preferably sepearatly- I.E NL4......NL8.......NL10. - or a low limit forum SKY my dear chaps. Chaplets.

If enough low limit players get on board, then i propose we ask for a small limit version of the clinic..... ithink it would be invaulable to SKYpoker and its starter players.....and less formidible to non posters thus far........what say you SKY?

- I in no way am denouncing the regular advice i get on my hands from higher players - in fact its great and i aprreciate it 100% - long may it continue. hopefully a lower forum could create arguments on both side of the coin is all -

Thanks

THE WORM

Comments

• edited February 2011
    without trying to sound rude i dont think  taking advice from players that cant beat the limit to be a good idea, you should be pleased that players of higher standards post in micro threads, the best way for anyone to improve or understand concepts is to ask questions if you dont understand ask them to explain it to you, this applies to all limits of poker, dont be embarrassed to ask a better player to explain what he means to you the chances are that he done the same when starting out

im prolly missing the point of this thread but my points are well valid
  • edited February 2011

The better players adapt their advice to take into consideration the player types at micros.

If 2 identical hands were posted, 1 at 4nl, and one at 400nl, the advice given by a 1,000nl reg would be different on each thread.

I personally only give advice on levels which I have beaten in the past, I'm not qualified to advise on 100nl and above.

I really don't understand peoples struggles with 4 - 8 nl, maybe I will start playing some and post some hands, it might have changed since I was there, it must have got harder.
  • edited February 2011
    In Response to Re: A thread for micro players - NL4 - NL10 - open to all to comment (obv):
    without trying to sound rude i dont think  taking advice from players that cant beat the limit to be a good idea, you should be pleased that players of higher standards post in micro threads, the best way for anyone to improve or understand concepts is to ask questions if you dont understand ask them to explain it to you, this applies to all limits of poker, dont be embarrassed to ask a better player to explain what he means to you the chances are that he done the same when starting out im prolly missing the point of this thread but my points are well valid
    Posted by N1CK
    I see your point Nick.

All im trying to say is that there is a different way you need to think for the lower levels - (not and a low level thread discussion would help newer players discuss plays on there level.....and may help newer players feel they can post hands easier - that is all really.

Like i say in the first post - i REALLY appreciate the higher level players posts, long may it continue!!! And of course they should post in the suggested low level forum - i agree that we couldnt improve without it.... i dunno just think a lower level stakes discussion could be benificial
  • edited February 2011

Just had a look at nl4 now, was gonna play for an hour....

Theres only like 1 player per table sat 80xbb+ deep....everyone is -50xbb....... Have to play even tighter!!!!!!!!!
  • edited February 2011
    In Response to Re: A thread for micro players - NL4 - NL10 - open to all to comment (obv):
    The better players adapt their advice to take into consideration the player types at micros. If 2 identical hands were posted, 1 at 4nl, and one at 400nl, the advice given by a 1,000nl reg would be different on each thread. I personally only give advice on levels which I have beaten in the past, I'm not qualified to advise on 100nl and above. I really don't understand peoples struggles with 4 - 8 nl, maybe I will start playing some and post some hands, it might have changed since I was there, it must have got harder.
    Posted by DOHHHHHHH
    im not saying its harder - more frustrating maybe - i played a few hands of 20nl last night and got my a** handed to me.

Maybe the low limit advising part of my argument is flawed - but i do think it would help newer players be more open to posting hands.

Its pretty scary posting a hand for the first time in the clinic - amongst all these threads talking of 3 betting, VPP etc when all you wanna know is - was your TPTK min bet a good idea?
  • edited February 2011
    a new player would get a lot of respect by asking a better player even the most basic of question, if i don't understand what someone means i will ask them to explain it to me, there is no point posting hands and excepting what a good player tells you unless you fully understand their reasoning behind their advice, you shouldn't have to feel that you will look stupid everybody starts off in poker in the same boat its only the guys that want to lean that get better
  • edited February 2011

There is no need for a seperate forum as the reg 4nl players can add to any thread along with the higher stakes regs..... which allows you to benchmark the advise offered!

• edited February 2011
    In Response to Re: A thread for micro players - NL4 - NL10 - open to all to comment (obv) : im not saying its harder - more frustrating maybe - i played a few hands of 20nl last night and got my a** handed to me. Maybe the low limit advising part of my argument is flawed - but i do think it would help newer players be more open to posting hands. Its pretty scary posting a hand for the first time in the clinic - amongst all these threads talking of 3 betting, VPP etc when all you wanna know is - was your TPTK min bet a good idea?
    Posted by tapeworm
    Drink less wine and lay off the pot noodles ;)

• edited February 2011
    Just had a look at nl4 now, was gonna play for an hour.... Theres only like 1 player per table sat 80xbb+ deep....everyone is -50xbb....... Have to play even tighter!!!!!!!!!
    Posted by DOHHHHHHH
    thatd the problem with making money multitabling NL4. Only tables filled with value usually have the better NL4 regs already on them meaning its very unlikley to be profitable sitting down. Even then if theirs not and a reg sit down often the lesser players with 100BB+ sit out or run.

Ive had this problem soo many times, NL8 is the exact same.

This is partly why i hate NL4, however it is a very beatable level with the right patience it just takes a lifetime to make 10BIs unless you run good or get lucky in table selection.
  • edited February 2011
    I hear where you are coming from tapeworm but I think if people put at the start of the thread (or had to) what level it was nl4,nl8,etc then those who play at these levels could, if they wanted to, just look at those threads relevant to them. I look at all threads, but that's just me.

Good advice is good advice whatever level it is aimed at or from.

the problem with NL4 I find is that there is "less respect" for the standard plays you see higher up. Whether this is due to the more recreational type of player or those that just gamble as a buyin doesn't mean much, I don't know. I know people say "raise bigger pre" etcetera. Players at NL4 often just don't believe you and if you go on a downswing you can lose a fair bit of your buyin/bankroll quickly.
    Just makes it difficult to move up.
    I would love to go higher but due to the roll i can put in i have to wait until I reach a certain amount. I was doing great and would have reached it before Christmas but went on a downswing when nothing was going right,etc. Hopefully will do it before Easter now!
  • edited February 2011
    i think most if not all higher stakes players take into account its nl4 when replying. I am guilty, as im sure others are though of maybe not talking in a way that is easy for beginners or lower limit players to understand straight away. I would say if someone doesnt fully understand something or disagrees they should question the advice being given. Its great to post a thread asking for advice but you shouldnt always just take that advice as gospel, If it doesnt make sense keep the discussion going until you get where theyre coming from.