You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

bet on the turn too small?

edited February 2011 in The Poker Clinic
TWINMAN67 Small blind  £0.10 £0.10 £44.21
DELDAVE Big blind  £0.20 £0.30 £23.96
  Your hole cards
  • K

pod1 Call  £0.20 £0.50 £38.45
AArodAA Fold     
 Raise  £1.00 £1.50 £21.64
DN34689 Fold     
TWINMAN67 Fold     
DELDAVE Fold     
pod1 Call  £0.80 £2.30 £37.65
Flop

pod1 Bet  £2.30 £4.60 £35.35
 Call  £2.30 £6.90 £19.34
Turn

pod1 Bet  £3.45 £10.35 £31.90
 Call  £3.45 £13.80 £15.89
River

pod1 Bet  £10.35 £24.15 £21.55
 All-in  £15.89 £40.04 £0.00
pod1 Call  £5.54 £45.58 £16.01
pod1 Show
  • K

Show
  • J
  • J

Win Straight to the Jack £43.78  £43.78

Comments

• edited February 2011
    yes. the only point you were ahead in the hand you put in the smallest sized bet, this is not a recipe for success. What were your thoughts on the river?
  • edited February 2011
    i like your bet on the turn tbh. Your opponent should be folding to it. However you shouldnt be stacking on the river your splitting at best meaning rake going to win long term. just check fold river imo check call if your 100% that he doesnt have a J.
  • edited February 2011
    dont limp-call UTG with this hand. it cost you more than half your stack. and definately isnt profitable, bet more on the turn, there is too many cards that destroy the value of your hand on the river. 
  • edited February 2011
    Limp calling with k 10 off ?? i have been playing nl 20 more reacently and what is it with this limp calling everyone does it!! so bad imo. bet strong on flop with a weak holding then bet weak when made a straight on the turn...then bet strong on the river when chopping at best!!

i would not be in the hand but as played bet £5+ on the turn then give up on the river .....
  • edited February 2011
    i know what your saying about the pre flop, it was bad, but surley i cant fold the river for an extra £5 with the pot that size!
  • edited February 2011
    the £3.45 bet was small on the flop but i have hit the nuts, apart from a flushdraw comming good and a "10" what was  i going to lose to!!!
  • edited February 2011
    you shouldn't bet the river imo, take the split pot or let him make a bet, check call is the absolute best I'd do in that spot, no way would I lead out

Only hands raising if you bet out normally are ones beating you, after all- you have no hand, you're playing the board. He's calling you if he has nothing 90% of the time, so result's the same- you're splitting. But by betting out you're risking him raising when- as he does here- he has the top end of the straight.

I'd check/call a reasonable river bet- I probably even struggle to fold to a shove, but at least in that spot you're minimising your potential losses, since he very often checks behind if he's playing the board too.
  • edited February 2011
    good answer deuces, my thinking was after the flop "what can he be calling with" and the amount of variations is huge, over pair, flush draw, even trips all these hands are beatin after the turn. really apart from jj and pos aj(at a push) what else can he call me with or reraise with on river?
  • edited February 2011
    He can call you with 23os on the river, because he has a straight to the ten.

His reasoning will be the same as yours if you bet- trying to steal the pot. Nothing about the way you've played this hand fits a J apart from JJ- exactly the same as your reasoning for him. Based on that, he's losing once, splitting many many times with a lot already invested. He'll call your river bet with literally any two, and raise if he has the high end of the straight- betting just never achieves anything here.

The beauty of a board straight is when you do have the higher end, you can bet and get paid because of that natural curiosity and suspicion that you're trying to rob the pot. Trying to bluff it will work like 0% of the time at low levels- at higher levels you might get it through when you're talking much bigger money, and higher play level.
  • edited February 2011
    thanks dueces nice response, makes alot of sense.  phil