You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Raise or flat?

edited February 2011 in The Poker Clinic
I've got no notes on oppo. I don't recognise the name so I'm not even sure that I've played against him before however, in the 15 minutes or so he's been on the table he's been pretty aggro raising & 3 betting. Throughout all of this I've only seen one hand go to showdown which was one of his first hands where he got it all in on the flop with QQ on a J high flop.

FWIW, when he first sat down at the table he brought in short for about £6.

So I've been waiting for a chance to take some cash off him when this hand pops up. I'm happy checking the flop as not only does it give him a chance to c-bet with air but if he did check behind then it also gives him a chance to catch up a bit. When the turn comes & brings in potentially both a straight & flush I feel happy about giving him one more chance to hang himself cos I'm pretty confident he will bet out which he duly does.

Now I think it's possible that he could even take a stab here with nothing so what's the best way forward. Flat or raise & if I raise here what amount?
PlayerActionCardsAmountPotBalance
silentbob Small blind  £0.10 £0.10 £18.04
 Big blind  £0.20 £0.30 £19.80
  Your hole cards

Fold     
 Fold     
 Fold     
oppo Raise  £0.60 £0.90 £14.94
silentbob Call  £0.50 £1.40 £17.54
 Fold     
Flop

silentbob Check     
oppo Check     
Turn

silentbob Check     
oppo Bet  £1.40 £2.80 £13.54
silentbob Raise or Flat?     

Comments

• edited February 2011
    rasie to £4.10. If he folds you dont really lose that much money because i doubt he bluffs river too often with air when you call turn. Also if you raise he can still call with straight draws and high clubs giving you a chance to get paid when he hits.
  • edited February 2011
    Flat here, you've got what you wanted so don't scare him off with a raise, i probably lead the river for about £2 so he doesn't have a chance to check behind, obviously you risk him folding his airball but he might raise a flush/straight thinking your just trying a blocker bet with maybe a pair of 6's..
  • edited February 2011
    id be in the raising smallish camp
  • edited February 2011
    just over a min raise for me, difficult to get paid otherwise
  • edited February 2011
    i would 3 bet pre, his button opening range is very wide so it makes it a lot harder for him to flop a hand that he will be happy to stack off with and if you consider this with the amount of time you flop a set it makes it harder to get value set mining here, if he calls your 3bet then its ok because he should have a half decent hand

i would lead out small on the flop 50/60p to try and get a better idea of the strength of his hand,
    as played chk/raise turn to £4ish there are a few hands he can continue with
  • edited February 2011
    In Response to Re: Raise or flat?:
    i would 3 bet pre, his button opening range is very wide so it makes it a lot harder for him to flop a hand that he will be happy to stack off with and if you consider this with the amount of time you flop a set it makes it harder to get value set mining here, if he calls your 3bet then its ok because he should have a half decent hand i would lead out small on the flop 50/60p to try and get a better idea of the strength of his hand, as played chk/raise turn to £4ish there are a few hands he can continue with
    Posted by N1CK
    The reason I didn't raise pre is because I didn't feel I'm gonna hit my set often enough. Most of the time I'm gonna see overcards & I felt at that point I'd have put more money in than I needed to. I think it's different if i'm in position.

As it was I did raise to £3.80 here but he folded.
  • edited February 2011
    You HAVE to raise, there's only 14 bigs in there lol