You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

JJ pre facing 3 bet OOP - shove or fold?

edited February 2011 in The Poker Clinic
No real reads on oppo but the table itself has been fairly standard for this level. A few raises getting a few calls & the occasional 3 bet with all sorts of hands being seen at showdown.

The 3 bet is much bigger than what I'd expect but my thought at the time is would someone really play AA/KK like this? AK/AQ & maybe possibly AJ could do this too along with a host of PP as well.

I've got the 4th best starting hand pre here so I'm really torn. For me calling isn't an option as that means putting half my stack in the middle & I'd feel committed at that point.

So given that's I've no real reads would it be best to shove or fold in this spot?
PlayerActionCardsAmountPotBalance
 Small blind  £0.05 £0.05 £21.35
 Big blind  £0.10 £0.15 £22.95
  Your hole cards
  • J
  • J

Call  £0.10 £0.25 £4.50
silentbob Raise  £0.50 £0.75 £9.95
oppo Raise  £4.60 £5.35 £7.28
 Fold     
 Fold     
 Fold     
silentbob Shove or Fold?    

Comments

• edited February 2011
    lol his raise sizing is SO bad.

This would depends entirely on reads for me. I probably fold if he's an unknown.
  • edited February 2011
    I do the opposite & call if unknown, with bet sizing like that they gotta be bad surely!

could have 10s/9s, maybe AK/AQ but who knows shove and then find a bit more about the opponent
  • edited February 2011
    i agree with price6 i would need reads to continue here his 3 bet commits you so if you continue its a shove or if you call you cant fold on any flop imo
  • edited February 2011
    In Response to Re: JJ pre facing 3 bet OOP - shove or fold?:
    I do the opposite & call if unknown, with bet sizing like that they gotta be bad surely! could have 10s/9s, maybe AK/AQ but who knows shove and then find a bit more about the opponent
    Posted by YOUNG_GUN
    You would have to have seen him do this previously with a hand worse than JJ. When people do things like this it's just some clown getting excited with a monster. I would expect to be losing more often than not here - I think you can find better spots play against these people than be a 20% dawg or just flip for you buy-inz.
  • edited February 2011
    Fair point, my reasoning was a bit flawed to be honest i assume he's bad because of the bet size....although he could be doing this with the nuts or a complete bluff so who knows.

My main point was to call you will get some good info, which if you fold your likely to get none. if he has it this time we can just reload and make a note. probably just me but i dont really :)
  • edited February 2011
    Fair point, my reasoning was a bit flawed to be honest i assume he's bad because of the bet size....although he could be doing this with the nuts or a complete bluff so who knows. My main point was to call you will get some good info, which if you fold your likely to get none. if he has it this time we can just reload and make a note. probably just me but i dont really :)
    Posted by YOUNG_GUN
    unless you have 50+ BI's for this level it's not a great idea to be stacking off for info on an unknown. Just wait til you have the nutz, or pay attention when he clashes with another fish, then you get your info for fwee.
  • edited February 2011
    Type 'sigh' and fold for all the above reasons.
  • edited February 2011
    i had a similar spot in a deepy last night, the bigstack 4 bet shoved on my jj, he had been aggro all tourney making the same move with k5 and 94! so i called and he had aces! in your spot with no reads i'd prob fold too
  • edited February 2011
    Type soooo sick then fold.
  • edited February 2011
    Unfortunately this was one of those moments where I just couldn't find the fold button even though something was nagging at me telling me I probably should. As I said calling wasn't an option so at the very last second I shoved & he snapped with aces.

If nothing else it was a lesson as to how he plays his big hands, albeit an expensive lesson!
  • edited February 2011
    Unfortunately this was one of those moments where I just couldn't find the fold button even though something was nagging at me telling me I probably should. As I said calling wasn't an option so at the very last second I shoved & he snapped with aces. If nothing else it was a lesson as to how he plays his big hands, albeit an expensive lesson!
    Posted by silentbob
    soul read from me :D