You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Another cash game hand....25/.50

Playing this afternoon and picked up pocket 9s in the big blind. Folded round to the button who raises to 2, with a stack of 70. I call with the pocket 9s and a similar sized stack. flop 8 4 4. I like the flop, the button has been raising 50/60% of the time when it got to him unraised, so I dont neceeserily but him on a premium hand, and hope he has something like ace 8, so i check to him, fully expecting a continuation bet then i plan to raise. The pot is 4.25, I check and my opponent bets 3 quid, I raise to 8 expecting to take it down there and then. My opponent calls, turn is a 2, putting a flush draw on board. I decide to bet out 12.50 into the pot and again he calls.The pot is now getting big and the turn is another 2, making a board of 8 4 4 2 2. The pot size is around 42 quid and i'm quite happy to check it down here. My opponent however puts in a bet of £29.

Would he make this bet with TT JJ QQ etc......has he flopped a set? unlikely he has 4's. pocket 8s is a possibility. Ace 4? 29 is the bet to win a pot of around £70, just wondering what you guys would do here.

Thanx, JJ

Comments

• edited June 2009
    i did write a long reply but the software screwed up :(

this is very player specific so let us know who the opponent was pls or some more information on them.  without any of that info i would fold but be pretty confident i was folding to a bluff.  i think the turn bet is too big given the action on the flop and you should have looked to control the size of the pot because essentially the size of the bet on the river is the only thing that stops me calling.  had you checked turn or bet small to restrict the action you coulda put yourself in a better position to pick off the bluff.

info on player pls
  • edited June 2009

Hey huuume cheers for replyiing.

As I said this guy seemd to love stealing the blinds at the cash table, something i don't really see too much point in myself but he seemed to be using his position well, making continuation bets on flops n building his stack slowly but surely. Out of position he'd tend to call and wait to hit his hand, then bet it accordingly. One play he made which was out of character for him, I raised with AQ suited and he re raised me in the big blind, it turned out he id thiswith only king jack. He plays 4/5 tables at once.

I suppose its okay to revel the result, i called the bet on the river....and he showed 8 4, he'd flopped a full house. lol

Thanx for replying, JJ.

• edited June 2009
    dont raise flop. if he has A8 or any 8 really hes drawing to 5 outs(3 aces, 2 8's). If he has nothing its fine to let him bluff off money to you and if he has an overpair or a hand like he had you lose less money by just check/calling him down. When you raise flop you get no more money from his bluffs and weaker hands and you lose a bigger pot when he has a hand better than 9's.

Also because youre out of position youre basically making the hand really hard to play for yourself. If positions were swapped then raising flop would be better but its generally not a good idea to inflate the pot on the flop when youre out of position and you have a vulnerable hand.

As played fold river. He didnt seem to be scared by your flop raise or turn bet and you can only really beat a bluff as he would probably check most 8's on the river.

• edited June 2009

Check raising this flop is a bad idea, you've got a small hand and you dont want to play a big pot so why build one?

• edited June 2009
    The big mistake was calling his button pre-flop bet. With pocket nines there is a 69% chance of an overcard. Out of position and with even one overcard, your hand could be pretty much dead.

Nothing in poker is ever 100%, but I think that raising his pre-flop bet was mandatory.
  • edited June 2009

really dont agree with re raise pre flop.  any flop that does not contain a 9 is a bad flop...you will get pushed off this far too easy.

its a nice idea knowing now that he had 84 but getting loads of money in pre flop with 99 is not a good idea