You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Theoretical situations- massive river overbet

edited February 2011 in The Poker Clinic
Ok, this is something that's happened to me on more than one occasion, and I'm sure it's happened to everyone at least once. I haven't got a specific hand, but we all know the sort- I'm curious how people would respond in a number of scenarios.

Let's say we're at a 5p/10p table, with no reads on villain- both new to table, both with £10 behind. You have KJh on the button, raise to 30p- he flats from the bb, sb folds. 65p in the pot (ignoring rake for simplicity).

Flop comes down 3h 4h 9h. He checks, you carry on your preflop lead and bet 45p. He flats. £1.55 in the pot.

Turn comes down Ac, he checks again- in order to feign weakness and possibly induce a river bluff, you check behind.

River comes down 8h- he shoves for £8.45. What do you do now, holding the second nut flush on an unpaired board, with no straight flush out there?

Now for a few different scenarios, based on the same hand-

a) you're holding KQ of hearts instead of KJ.

b) the heart comes down on the turn instead of the river.

c) he 3-bets you pre to 90p, betting continues in the same vein but with relative sizing- you bet £1.50 on flop instead and he calls, making his river shove £7.60 into £4.85.

d) you choose to bet the turn again for £1.20 instead of checking, he flats then shoves river for £8.05 into £3.95.

e) you're holding AJ of hearts, but board reads 3h 4h 6h Ac 7h.

f) all of the above, but at £1/£2 instead, with £200 stacks instead of £10.

This is something that's always bothered me- how to respond to these maniac moves- Dohhh got me thinking about this one when he mentioned Dwan's crazy 3/4x pot bets, which generally means he has air or the nuts, meaning at higher levels maybe this is a real decision. My gut says ordinarily at low levels this is a surefire sign they have the nuts every time and have gone crazy- but can you fold the second nut hand in these spots? Do you wait and assume you'll take their money at another point? Is it worth the call for future information- them turning over the nuts in these spots having made massive overbets is a tell they're very unlikely to disguise, but is it worth chucking 80bbs in to find out?

Comments