You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Bounty Hunters

edited February 2011 in The Poker Clinic
Quick question but hopefully detailed answers:  what adjustments need to be made from your standard freeveout game to your bounty hunter game?

Taaaaaa

Comments

• edited February 2011
    Well, there's 2 main ways of playing a BH, and you can further split that into early game and then mid/late game kind of plays the same, for me. Also depends on the stakes- up to the 5.75 I'd play a certain way, 11+ requires a slightly different mindset, and becomes a little more like standard freezeouts- especially the 22 and 33 MEs.

The first way is to play hyper, hyper aggressive and go for heads. Risky, but can pay off- it's a nice way to play the early stages, if you take a couple of heads and get a big stack, tighten right up and just play your big hands heavily- you'll probably get paid off. I'm not a huge fan of this, because you're solely reliant on getting a lucky run of cards, but you can definitely make a killing in the early stages by just trying to get your whole stack in almost every hand preflop if possible, and then hoping to get lucky.

My preferred method is to tighten up a lot compared to freezeouts- the good and bad of BHs is you get called very, very light- so you can't shove or raise light. If you get QQ/KK/AA, rub your hands together because it's gonna get paid 90% of the time, especially on low levels. Once you hit the 100/200 blind level, you might get a little more play- but you'll still get called quite light, especially if someone covers you. So pick your hands carefully and go to war with them.

In short, I think BHs require a tighter game to be profitable, but be far, far more aggressive when you do play. The only hands I think you should raise with are hands you intend to get your stack in with, never raise with the intention of folding to a reraise preflop. Apart from perhaps final table if you're deep.
  • edited February 2011
    In Response to Re: Bounty Hunters:
    Well, there's 2 main ways of playing a BH, and you can further split that into early game and then mid/late game kind of plays the same, for me. Also depends on the stakes- up to the 5.75 I'd play a certain way, 11+ requires a slightly different mindset, and becomes a little more like standard freezeouts- especially the 22 and 33 MEs. The first way is to play hyper, hyper aggressive and go for heads. Risky, but can pay off- it's a nice way to play the early stages, if you take a couple of heads and get a big stack, tighten right up and just play your big hands heavily- you'll probably get paid off. I'm not a huge fan of this, because you're solely reliant on getting a lucky run of cards, but you can definitely make a killing in the early stages by just trying to get your whole stack in almost every hand preflop if possible, and then hoping to get lucky. My preferred method is to tighten up a lot compared to freezeouts- the good and bad of BHs is you get called very, very light- so you can't shove or raise light. If you get QQ/KK/AA, rub your hands together because it's gonna get paid 90% of the time, especially on low levels. Once you hit the 100/200 blind level, you might get a little more play- but you'll still get called quite light, especially if someone covers you. So pick your hands carefully and go to war with them. In short, I think BHs require a tighter game to be profitable, but be far, far more aggressive when you do play. The only hands I think you should raise with are hands you intend to get your stack in with, never raise with the intention of folding to a reraise preflop. Apart from perhaps final table if you're deep.
    Posted by DeucesLive

Great stuff pal, really good analysis on the BH's

• edited February 2011
    I disagree, i always play like standard tourney. maybe the slight adjustment eg. if i have 20+ BB and someone with 5 BB has shoved into me  auto calll. The real money is winning it & on way if you pick up heads its a bonus, i think playing a standard game is a bonus as everyone else will try to play aggressive so would be easier to get paid and your probably get a few heads on the way too
  • edited February 2011
    play like a freezout, although id say push when you get down to 12-13bb instead of 7-10. mainly because you get called so much lighter than normal. people will call for the majotiy of their stacks with KJ/J10/QJ etc etc. just for the bounty.
  • edited February 2011
    play like a freezout, although id say push when you get down to 12-13bb instead of 7-10. mainly because you get called so much lighter than normal. people will call for the majotiy of their stacks with KJ/J10/QJ etc etc. just for the bounty.
    Posted by hurst05

Should be doing that anyways ;) 10-15 is ideal....
  • edited February 2011
    In Response to Re: Bounty Hunters : Should be doing that anyways ;) 10-15 is ideal....
    Posted by YOUNG_GUN
    doing what?
  • edited February 2011

Assuming you aren't too deep stacked, an all in shove on the river is more likely to get called than a standard value bet, against most opponents.
  • edited February 2011
    If you play identical to a normal freezeout, you're missing out I think.

Play similar to a normal freezeout, sure. But the calling range in the low stakes is soooo wide that if you play your normal game, you're going to go busto a lot more. You have to make a conscious decision to tighten up and play premium hands mega aggressive (instead of a normal 3x raise in a freezeout, needs to be like 4/5x, then bet pot a lot more than 3/4 pot) or just play loose and aggressive in general, and get chips in with more marginal hands- top pair weak kicker, second pair strong kicker, any draws etc. Personally, I'm much more a fan of the tight approach, because people simply don't read anything into how tight you've been, so you can get away with not playing a hand in 40/50 then making a 5x raise, and seeing people call you. Doesn't happen so much in freezeouts.

Also dohhh makes a very good point, and it swings both ways- if anyone massively overbets in a BH on turn or river when they have you covered, it's almost always because they have the goods and are trying to nick your bounty. In freezeouts that can be a bluff, but very very rarely in BH's. Generally if someone is willing to call a value bet, they'll call a shove, so take that into consideration.
  • edited February 2011
    In Response to Re: Bounty Hunters : doing what?
    Posted by hurst05

What you put on my thread was spot on, but as you said 13 BB would shove but not if normal..... i personally go into shove mode from 15-10(very worst)  Dohhh is reason i have been doing this as he mentioned illigit if you youtube him will show you why.
  • edited February 2011
    i referred to playing like a freezout in terms of value your tourny life. dont be one to chase bounties. they are worth tons more in the latter stages. dont even think about it imo other than that i have agreed, shove deeper you will get called lighter.
  • edited February 2011
    In Response to Re: Bounty Hunters : What you put on my thread was spot on, but as you said 13 BB would shove but not if normal..... i personally go into shove mode from 15-10(very worst)  Dohhh is reason i have been doing this as he mentioned illigit if you youtube him will show you why.
    Posted by YOUNG_GUN
    in BH i agree but not in freezouts (i would go on but that would completely highjack the OP)
  • edited February 2011
    See, whilst I kind of agree and prefer playing it tight, look at this compared to a freezeout;

in the first level, you play mega aggressive and get your entire stack in as a 40% favourite on average, playing 10 bh tournaments and 10 freezeouts. In the freezeouts you're out 6 times, in 4 with a doubled stack- sets you up reasonably well, but really doesn't mean anything- you could quite easily be out with nothing to show still.

In a BH you're in 4 times, with a doubled stack in a scenario with around 33% of your tournament entry refunded. You're now also in a position where should you get a hand, you have the entire (or nearly always entire anyway) table covered- meaning you get more chances at heads. An early chip lead in a BH, played well, very frequently leads to you getting a monster stack and probably final tabling unless you get outdrawn.

There's a school of thought in freezeouts to just try and double up early then put real focus, that applies far more in BHs to my eyes- you can enter a bunch of them, try and double up by playing like a numpty, and then focus on the ones where you were successful.

Not saying I'd normally play this way, but I think it's a very legitimate approach- I've tried it a few times and you really can do quite well out of it.

Another trick is if someone who's very short (5bbs) goes in, if you've got a big enough hand (I'd say AJ/A10 even is good enough) jamming allin can work wonders, you'll get calls from all kinds of hands like 76/K10/33 etc etc who are blindly looking for bounties. Which obviously, is a bad idea.
  • edited February 2011
    i referred to playing like a freezout in terms of value your tourny life. dont be one to chase bounties. they are worth tons more in the latter stages. dont even think about it imo other than that i have agreed, shove deeper you will get called lighter.
    Posted by hurst05

I agree with that as i stated originally, in regards to shoving shorter 7-10 can you pm me if you dont want to hijack? i used to wait till around 10, but then learnt 15 is when you should be doing it & 20 for reshove, would like to hear your thoughts hursty as i know you play higher levels

Many thanks
    John
  • edited February 2011
    Posted by hurst05

I agree with that as i stated originally, in regards to shoving shorter 7-10 can you pm me if you dont want to hijack? i used to wait till around 10, but then learnt 15 is when you should be doing it & 20 for reshove, would like to hear your thoughts hursty as i know you play higher levels

Many thanks
    John