You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

a new tournament suggestion - correct opening post.

edited February 2011 in Poker Chat
Ok tournament suggestion i mentioned last time was a bit mistaken.

So what i would like and im sure some other players, not all, is a longer tournament.

So what i suggest is

3000 starting stack
30 minute clock starting at 10/20 working up slowly for most amount of play.

I also suggested this should be a small buy in. Obviously if its sucsessful a higher buy in version could be done.

So what i suggested was

3 tournaments per day

Lunchtime say 12:00 or 13:00

Dinner time 17:00, 18:00 or something like this

And a nightime 21:00 or 22:00

Now again ive added a poll and ive got more options this time.

Also if sky where to throw in a nice realistic garentee would help?

Also if you select needing some tweeks please do not hesitate to explain what tweeks you think should be involved.

Comments

• edited February 2011
    Anything from £5.50 but below £10 we have no tours between these levels so would make it unique. You could have a clock that was say 15/20mins at levels 1 and 2 and gradually worked up to 30mins max at higher level say 7 or 8 this would also be a 1st on SP as far as I know. 3000 chip ok. Just my thoughts.
    Ray
  • edited February 2011
    Remember, the difference between online poker and live poker is massive- you need those large clocks on live because of the vastly reduced number of hands. You get through far, far more hands online than you ever would live- if you took online clocks into live games, everyone would be on 6/7 bbs within a dozen hands. Conversely, taking what is more commonly a live clock time would result in hundreds and hundreds of hands played before anything happens in the tournament online.

I think 30 mins is far too long a clock time, look at how long deepstacks take with few entrants- and that's with 12 minute blinds. A clock longer than 20 minutes is too long, and even 20 is pushing it.

A 15/20 minute clock is far more reasonable, but I still wouldn't expect it to get many runners.

You don't think the deepstacks are long enough? They run for like 2 or more hours, with only small numbers of runners- that's like an eternity for small tournaments online.
  • edited February 2011
    I've gone for no donny, far tooo slow a structure for online. live it would be fine but how long it will take to cash and whether it would be worthwhile i dont think so!

But there maybe people out there who this is perfect format so good luck mate
  • edited February 2011
    I was thinking the same as ten of spades....If i am going to put a shift in like that I would want the buy in much bigger to ensure a bigger return for my efforts
  • edited February 2011
    Hi Don ,
              I have gone for a no vote because the clock is far to long, we have just got some new deepstacks on here and i think for most of the players these tourneys are long enough.
                                                  Regards  Mick.
  • edited February 2011
    Don heres my suggestion/opinion. A 30 min clock is way too long, after 4 hours the blinds would still be relatively comfortartable for the remaining players.

I think 20 min blinds would be the max id like to play and most other people, and even that would be pushing it.
    Also a 5.50 buy in. I wouldnt want to play for 6 hours or more to win 40 quid (no dispistect intended)

If the clock was 15 mins, or 20, and the buy in was 20 quid, or more then i would consider it.

So, an example. £22 tourney. 15 min blinds. 3000 or 5000 starting stack. If it got enough runners then alot of people would consider it. 

Now obviously this doesnt help the lower BR players, but tbh don i dont think this would work for them. Not enough players will want to play in a tourney that takes 6 hours just to make the cash and its 20 pound. It just wouldnt work im afraid. It may get support early on but it wouldnt last, people would realise that there are quicker and easier ways to make more money in mtt's.

I like the idea though, especially of antes :)

Dave
  • edited February 2011
    a once a year 2/3 day event would be cool

£300+30 buy in or more

day 1a thursday eve 7pm-1am
    day 1b fri ev 7pm-1am
    day 2 saturday 2pm-11pm
    day 3 sunday 2pm to finish

as it is once a year you could run satellites throughout the 11 month period

do any other websites do 3 day events? this could be a first

with so many satellites and last minute direct buy ins from the big guns you would be sure to get a great field and therefore great prize money

would be able to give plenty of TV coverage and promote as a really unique event
  • edited February 2011
    In Response to Re: a new tournament suggestion - correct opening post.:
    a once a year 2/3 day event would be cool £300+30 buy in or more day 1a thursday eve 7pm-1am day 1b fri ev 7pm-1am day 2 saturday 2pm-11pm day 3 sunday 2pm to finish as it is once a year you could run satellites throughout the 11 month period do any other websites do 3 day events? this could be a first with so many satellites and last minute direct buy ins from the big guns you would be sure to get a great field and therefore great prize money would be able to give plenty of TV coverage and promote as a really unique event
    Posted by Small_Dog
    +1!!!! Love this idea!
  • edited February 2011
    +1 small_dog, that sounds pretty sweet
  • edited February 2011

30 minute levels???

9 hour tournaments???

3 day events???????????????

Do you guys really love poker that much !!!!

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

I think all tournys should have a 500/1k blind level though, and maybe 2.5k/5k blind level.

I can just about live with an extra 25 minutes ;)
  • edited February 2011

I'm not going to enter the debate, each to their own, but wise to bear in mind that a 30 minute clock on an Online 6 handed Table, is equivelant to almost a 3 hour clock 9 handed live.

I don't believe such a thing exists, anywhere.

A happy medium exists.

• edited February 2011
    come on dohhh dont be grumpy

what about a heads up tournament

that would be more up your street maybe

this would be the ultimate glory for sky poker players

"the annual sky h-u tournament"
    to be the best...you have to beat the best

• edited February 2011
    come on dohhh dont be grumpy what about a heads up tournament that would be more up your street maybe this would be the ultimate glory for sky poker players "the annual sky h-u tournament" to be the best...you have to beat the best
    Posted by Small_Dog
    Ha yes I would like these.

But only if good players don't play, so maybe £5 buy in :)
  • edited February 2011
    money wont matter in that
    all about being top dog and the kudos with it
    imagine being HU sky champ for the next 12 months
    your piccy on the website
    tournaments named after you
    HU cash tables in your honour
    your name in BOLD for every tourney you enter
    can you tell i work in sales?????
  • edited February 2011

haha yeh nice work.

I'd rather have £100 in my account for binking the tourny though.

Can you tell I'm a tough customer ?  ;)
  • edited February 2011
    we have heads up tournaments ;)

although like the idea of having ones for £5 & £10 Buy ins + rake would have to be a turbo tho

again no offence small dog its a no from me, who wants to sit at a computer for 3 days?? i sit enough with work and poker most nights :p
  • edited February 2011
    yes! i dont know how tikay et al put up woth it

it would eaily be more then £100 mate

5/10/20 entry fee

i reckon 1000 entrants

few grand for first place
  • edited February 2011
    young gun where are their heads up tournaments?

i am talking about a knock out comp not a one off game

and i am glad you wont play my 3 day tourney.....so there :p
  • edited February 2011
    young gun where are their heads up tournaments? i am talking about a knock out comp not a one off game and i am glad you wont play my 3 day tourney.....so there :p
    Posted by Small_Dog
    Please, please let him play in your 3 day tourney

I would mean 15666 less posts on the forum

LOL
  • edited February 2011
    OI ploppy bloomin cheek, you saying that so i can add another notch on my posts :p

PS- stop limping ............
  • edited February 2011
  • edited February 2011
    I voted no, way too slow to interest me.
  • edited February 2011
    I'm not going to enter the debate, each to their own, but wise to bear in mind that a 30 minute clock on an Online 6 handed Table, is equivelant to almost a 3 hour clock 9 handed live. I don't believe such a thing exists, anywhere. A happy medium exists.  
    Posted by Tikay10
    hi tikay

thanks again for posting.

I understand the clock time scale and i actually stole this structure from one i played on a different site, i actually use a 20 minute clock for all my live tournaments. It runs more like the bounty hunters we have here on sky, just without the bounty part.

However this tournament i played on the other site may have been  a once off i only played there once,

Now i know youve said you where not going to get into this debate and going by the poll we ae 10 yes and 10 no - the 10 being based over both price options i offered to players.

Would you like to comment on how you think this structure could be improved.

Also i like small_dogs idea about a once a year 3 day event. Sounds pretty niffty and i cant think of anyone thats done that online before.

Cheers,

Don