You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Played to passively, or just unlucky?

edited February 2011 in The Poker Clinic

im just wondering whether I played this hand too passively, or was just unlucky; my intention was obviously to get as much value from my opponent as possibly, but should i have shoved earlier in order for prevent my opponent from sucking out as he did?
Hand History #340044169 (17:01 10/02/2011)

PlayerActionCardsAmountPotBalance
isildur30 Small blind  £0.05 £0.05 £15.66
swandog95 Big blind  £0.10 £0.15 £14.83
  Your hole cards
  • J
  • J

OkayPokay Fold     
waynec Call  £0.10 £0.25 £17.92
Tom_Louisa Raise  £0.40 £0.65 £11.35
SayWhat Fold     
isildur30 Fold     
swandog95 Call  £0.30 £0.95 £14.53
waynec Call  £0.30 £1.25 £17.62
Flop

swandog95 Check     
waynec Check     
Tom_Louisa Bet  £1.25 £2.50 £10.10
swandog95 Call  £1.25 £3.75 £13.28
waynec Fold     
Turn

swandog95 Check     
Tom_Louisa Bet  £3.75 £7.50 £6.35
swandog95 Call  £3.75 £11.25 £9.53
River

• A

swandog95 All-in  £9.53 £20.78 £0.00
Tom_Louisa All-in  £6.35 £27.13 £0.00
swandog95 Unmatched bet  £3.18 £23.95 £3.18
swandog95 Show
  • A

Tom_Louisa Show
  • J
  • J

swandog95 Win Two Pairs, Aces and 2s £22.55  £25.73

Comments

• edited February 2011
    done everything perfectly there... apart from perhaps the call on river. I know you have a lot invested, but realistically- how much can you beat there? The answer is not a lot at all... river brings the flush, the overcard, there's a chance he was actually slowplaying a monster already and he was actually milking you. There's almost no hands apart from a stonewall bluff, which is unlikely, that you can beat.

But preflop raise is solid, flop and turn bets pot sized- you can't do much more than that. Now you've made the call, make a note that he's willing to call pot sized flop and turn bets with bottom pair no draw. That kind of player will make you serious money if you carry on playing the same way, vul.
  • edited February 2011
    passively? are you sure??

as above, it sucks when they get there
  • edited February 2011

i dont want into too much detail regarding the (admittedly bad) river call/
    that which i am concerned with is whether or not its better to shut a hand down when holding a vulnerable hand (such as JJ), or whether it is better to attempt to extract maximum value.
    pretty frequently i experience problems relating to obtaining maximum value at the expence of allowing an opponent to overtake...

• edited February 2011
    In Response to Re: Played to passively, or just unlucky?:
    passively? are you sure?? as above, it sucks when they get there
    Posted by N1CK
    by passively i guess what i really mean is not shutting down earlier
  • edited February 2011
    You pot bet flop and turn and donkey gets there, it happens.
  • edited February 2011
    In Response to Re: Played to passively, or just unlucky? : by passively i guess what i really mean is not shutting down earlier
    Posted by Tom_Louisa
    if you think they can call you with worse hands then DONT shut down keep betting for value, bet bet bet until they raise you

i think you played the hand spot on until he bet the river, when these passive players raise or bet it generally means your toast
  • edited February 2011
    i dont want into too much detail regarding the (admittedly bad) river call/
    Posted by Tom_Louisa

but that is possibly the only part of the hand that isnt played perfectly!

although i do think the river call is a good call tbh
  • edited February 2011
    Played fine.

Keep playing it like that and you'll make money in the long run.

EZ game.
  • edited February 2011
    In Response to Re: Played to passively, or just unlucky? : if you think they can call you with worse hands then DONT shut down keep betting for value, bet bet bet until they raise you i think you played the hand spot on until he bet the river, when these passive players raise or bet it generally means your toast
    Posted by N1CK
    This

Unless you have good reads/notes that the villain is capable of repping the Ace they always have it in this spot, especially at this level.
  • edited February 2011
    There's nothing worse, you do all the hard work and the they catch up and boom.

You've played this spot on, bet out all the way to the river and your ahead.  River shows a scare card, this is where your read and judgment comes in to play. call or fold.... He's flat called you all the way which should suggest he has something. Would never of  guessed  A2.

Obviously, didn't believe you had anything, only reason for the flat call. I would like to think i would fold, you where just unlucky me thinks.

As a point of interest,what  did you have him on?

Mac
  • edited February 2011
    There's nothing worse, you do all the hard work and the they catch up and boom. You've played this spot on, bet out all the way to the river and your ahead.  River shows a scare card, this is where your read and judgment comes in to play. call or fold.... He's flat called you all the way which should suggest he has something. Would never of  guessed  A2. Obviously, didn't believe you had anything, only reason for the flat call. I would like to think i would fold, you where just unlucky me thinks. As a point of interest,what  did you have him on? Mac
    Posted by Macacan
    I called in the hope of him having hit on the flop / turn: the only reasoning i could find for his flop / turn calls...
    a bit optimistic, probably should have guessed that he might be donking off on the flop / turn with A high at this level