You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Explain This

edited February 2011 in The Poker Clinic
Down to 4 in a D2N. Short stack has only 85 chips and shoves from the button with KQ. I flat call from SB with AT. BB then decides to go all-in with QJ.

Obviously the correct move is for BB to just flat call too and then check the hand down with me. Instead of which he/she does the only possible move which could put the short stack in the money and leave me with nothing. I have never played this player before and there had been no reason why he/she should have anything against me personally.
If BB for some reason wants to favour the short-stack is this legitimate?

KingAlfredSmall blind 25.0025.003405.00Daisy297Big blind 50.0075.006800.00 Your hole cardsA10   jakal1912Fold    frankie103All-in 85.00160.000.00KingAlfredCall 60.00220.003345.00Daisy297All-in 6800.007020.000.00KingAlfredFold    Daisy297Unmatched bet 6765.00255.006765.00Daisy297ShowJQ   frankie103ShowKQ   Flop  J107   Turn  4   River  6   Daisy297Win

Comments

• edited February 2011

Hi King, what buy-in is this?

It's most likely the bb has no idea what she's doing if this is £5.50 or less, unlikely to be anything sinister.

• edited February 2011
    looks like a standard isolation to me.

See it alot in tournaments never in this structure though.
  • edited February 2011

It was only a 3 quid D2N, but I don't usually see such odd play even at this level. If I recall I typed something like 'helping your buddy eh?' in the chat box and the reply came back: 'probably' then 'gonna report me?'.

I don't get the point about isolating opponent since this was at the bubble of a D2N.

In the end its not a big deal for me since I cashed anyway. Would have been disastrous if I had called though!

• edited February 2011
    In Response to Re: Explain This:
    It was only a 3 quid D2N, but I don't usually see such odd play even at this level. If I recall I typed something like 'helping your buddy eh?' in the chat box and the reply came back: 'probably' then 'gonna report me?'. I don't get the point about isolating opponent since this was at the bubble of a D2N. In the end its not a big deal for me since I cashed anyway. Would have been disastrous if I had called though!
    Posted by KingAlfred
    Still sounds like they were just being an idiot.

Obv if you see dodgy plays between same players again, no harm in reporting it.
  • edited February 2011
    Loads of people don't understand the 'co-operation play' - it happens at every level. I usually make a note on such players. This isn't the worst one ever as the micro stack is so short. Looking at all the stacks the 'villain' was probably just 'having a bit of fun' bullying you.

When you say it would have been disastrous if you had called, it wouldn't have changed the result you would have cashed anyway. The real point, though, is that you shouldn't even be anywhere near considering calling here. I would lay down AA.
  • edited February 2011
    Oh yes of course you are right, sorry, I would have cashed since I was still ahead of the short stack.

For sure I would also have folded AA in that situation. Actually a bit earlier I had made a big raise against the big stack with KK and got reraised all-in, necessitating a strategic fold.

I have seen it before where someone has a big stack and one player is away. There is no need for anyone to take any risks in order to cash, but the big stack goes out of their way to make life uncomfortable for the shorter stacks. I once asked why they were doing it and they said 'for fun'.

I guess there is no law against playing like that, although I tend to believe that what goes around comes around.