You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

My First Live Tournament- Forum Blog by John Bevan

edited February 2011 in Poker Chat
Ok im going to write down in 3 sections to this story, as the title suggests i have not played a live tournament. I have played 100’s of home games(monthly) & pub league games.

Pre: I keep meaning to enter into live games but never really got round to it, but after a good recent run online i got a message on facebook regarding £75 F/O special at Fullhouse Poker in Reigate. Previously i had meant to go down there to check the place out so i decide to go for it, call up my dad get him to come along and he was undecided whether he was going to play or not.
Right onto the day hits 5pm(i usually work till 5.15) i think i’ll leave a bit earlier so we have plenty of time and make my way to pick up my Dad in Gravesend(Opposite way). Get to his get changed into smart jeans, smart top, hoodies & trainers. Eat a bacon sandwich and we’re off, car journey pretty straight forward and dad not really knowing what to expect and wanting advice on hands & spots as doesn’t play other then our monthly games. We get to Reigate you have reached your destination, erm this doesn’t look like fullhouse but not to worry plenty of time its about 6.55 we have till 8pm. I realise that i told my dad church road and not church street so we put back into sat nav get into town centre and miss the club as we’re looking on the left so go round the 1 way system 3 times and finally managed to find the club on the right around 7.15ish.

Flop: I enter the room to find around 8 tables of 10 (including the dealer), place looks good & professional enough to me make our way to pay to buy in as we already pre-registered, as we had a bit of time played about 3 turbo heads up games on their computers and won them all. While we are waiting my dad said he felt nervous but i didn’t i felt really comfortable and confident the place was empty when we entered but it was slowly filling up and they are expecting around 50 runners. Seat 2 Table 2 i draw, walk over to my table most people already sitting down and aim to sit tight for first 30 minutes at least.  25 minute blind levels so plenty of time to adjust, my table had been fairly active early on person +2 from me had headphones on wasn’t keeping up with play etc and for first level 2 seats were away both seats 1 & 9 so before me, this lead to me accidentally limping utg with 73 off as i thought i was meant to post the BB oops but anyway post flop check, check,check, turn check, check, bet easy fold only 100 chips as blinds started 50/100. Person sitting before me seat 1 arrived mid level 2 was raising any limped pots, or limping and calling raises so im in a awkward seat look at few spots i can raise the limpers but everytime he does so fold away. 1 interesting hand i have A7 suited BB think i call 200  with 3 people in the pot, flop comes down 7K6 1 diamond. OOP i decide to check, so does the others turn 3 again i check so does everyone else, river 7 jackpot i bet out 700, folds round to a regular who i had feeling would re-raise he does to 1500 i think im ahead but unsure still and first proper hand so i call he shows 33 for a FH  nvm i still have roughly about 10k plenty of play. Next hand i play AQ off, active person does standard raise to 450(3xbb) i flat with position which i think is error on my part looking back. Then 1 other person calls low flop, check...check etc, then turn he bets out i fold although against aggressive player i decide to bide my time as i have position. Level 3 about midway through it is the big hand i will only briefly explain see poker clinic for further details...i decide to flat persons standard raise with KJ suited, 3 people in pot on flop A44,2 of my suit action bet 800, re-raise to 2k then i shove for 7.5k roughly , fold and round to aggressive player who tanks for a few minutes ‘ i cant put you on a hand’ i just continue to look in same expression durrrr-ish then he says you probably got me beat but i cant fold he turns over AQ off wow nice call i know im 33% to hit so think to myself 1 time bink! Turn 4 to house him up so game over say good luck to everyone and hit the internet for some more heads up. My Dad outlasted me but was on about 4k he got to first break but then when out raising to 2k with A10 with 4-5 limpers 3 k back flop 10 high 2 hearts and got done by Q10 hearts, i say to him although favourate i would shove pre with limpers in front you increase your stack by 20% but still unlucky as he got in ahead. Game over so head home

River: I really enjoyed my first experience of live poker, there seemed to be alot of regs there who also were going to Nottingham festival the weekend and playing pokerstars, saying about big hands and big cash games they been playing. I didn’t feel out of my depth although i probably was but learned quite a bit, i will definitely be going back maybe smaller buy in although wasn’t too bothered about that myself. Looking back i played reasonably well and don’t think its the worst the way i got it in, whether the right play is debateable? The chip leader on our table who had about 2.5 x starting a at level 2 every hand i got him on either what he had eg. Trips check/called each street then raised river  sounded easy but was trip 3’s, then another pot he did similar and was straight board 346 but then on turn he check/called, then river a total blank he fires out with ace on board gets caller with jacks he shows 78 for gut shot(i got him on exact hand which gave me bit of confidence) shame i didnt get to play a pot with him, maybe thats where i improve next time playing people who i have a good read of

Anyways i hope you enjoyed my story

Comments