You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Is this is a call or fold in a DYM?

edited February 2011 in The Poker Clinic
i cant see your stack which effects my answer.

If he has you covered i call and risk a flip as we're short,

If we have him covered small i fold.

If im bigger than anyone i call.

So situational.

Comments

• edited February 2011

PlayerActionCardsAmountPotBalance
    JONESY73 Small blind  50.00 50.00 1280.00
    eldel20 Big blind  100.00 150.00 1945.00
      Your hole cards

JingleMa Raise  300.00 450.00 3960.00
    PjPirate Fold     
    All-in  1265.00 1715.00 0.00
    JONESY73 Fold     
    eldel20 Fold     
    JingleMa ?    

Ok, so five of us left and I'm very comfortable around the 4k mark. So do I want to risk dropping back down to the chasing pack by making the call here? Would GreggHogg call?

All views welcome - especially from the likes of Shanxta, JohnConner and all the regs, I'm really trying to perfect my dym game atm so all advice and opinions gratefully received!
  • edited February 2011
    In Response to Re: Is this is a call or fold in a DYM?:
    i cant see your stack which effects my answer. If he has you covered i call and risk a flip as we're short, If we have him covered small i fold. If im bigger than anyone i call. So situational.
    Posted by The_Don90
    Yep I'm making a pig's ear of pasting it without showing the whole hand, I'm gona try it again.
  • edited February 2011

Easy call with your chips behind imo.

He has 900 left, you are priced in. Just hope ur racing and that he misses his overcards, then cash. easy game.

you gotta know when you raise pre that if that guy shoves u call! make your decision before you raise, innit.

If you didnt want this decision, then shove, or fold pre!

• edited February 2011
    easy call with your chips behind He has 900 left, you are priced in. Just hope ur racing and that he misses his overcards, then cash. easy game. you gotta know when you raise pre that if that guy shoves u call! make your decision before you raise, innit.
    Posted by GREGHOGG
    +1
  • edited February 2011
    easy call with your chips behind imo. He has 900 left, you are priced in. Just hope ur racing and that he misses his overcards, then cash. easy game. you gotta know when you raise pre that if that guy shoves u call! make your decision before you raise, innit. if you didnt want this decision, then shove, or fold pre!
    Posted by GREGHOGG
    yea now i can see stacks im +1'ing this.
  • edited February 2011

Thanks for the lightning quick replies guys.

I did call - he had AQ and didn't hit, but I just wanted re-assurance that it was the right play - although if Gregg's 100% calling then I guess it's a no brainer! 8- />
  • edited February 2011
    Easy call with your chips behind imo. He has 900 left, you are priced in. Just hope ur racing and that he misses his overcards, then cash. easy game. you gotta know when you raise pre that if that guy shoves u call! make your decision before you raise, innit. If you didnt want this decision, then shove, or fold pre!
    Posted by GREGHOGG
    +1 again. You made the right decision in my book.
  • edited February 2011
    Im surprised at this being a snap call.....

you have 4k, which will be average when the bubble bursts, you've done the hard work.....

Even if you fold theres a 1.2k stack and a 1.5k stack in the game.....

Not saying I'd fold, just putting an argument forward for folding..... ???
  • edited February 2011
    Im surprised at this being a snap call..... you have 4k, which will be average when the bubble bursts, you've done the hard work..... Even if you fold theres a 1.2k stack and a 1.5k stack in the game..... Not saying I'd fold, just putting an argument forward for folding..... ???
    Posted by DOHHHHHHH
    The hard work entitles you to a shot at winning it there and then imo. Also if you lose this hand, you are still in an ok position and will most likely cash anyway. Unless you get ul obv.

If you are not prepared to call a reshove here against either of the shortstacks then why make it 450? You are hardly bluffing with 99!

A fold preflop is the only other viable option imo. But this fold would mean that you are worrying about the bubble.. never good. Be brave on the bubble imo. The only time i would open fold pre is if it a crazy loose table and the other stacks will most likely clash and knock each other out.
  • edited February 2011
    Nah Open folding is madness.

As is open shoving.

When you make the open with 9's, most of the time, you're going to take the blinds uncontested.

Sometimes you are going to get called.

A small %age of the time, you're going to get shoved on.

So clearly coming in for a raise is best, as opening and folding to a raise is perfectly fine when we're 40 big blinds deep.

-------------------------------------------------

There's only really 77 and 88 that he could shove on us with that we beat. There are millions of hands we are flipping against, and quite a few that crush us.

If at the start of the hand someone said to you "this hand, you're going to flip for 1,200 chips. Or, you can pay a 300 chip fine, and avoid having to do so" 

Which option would you take in this situation?

-------------------------------------------------

The 3x open has failed, you're raising against random hands - him shoving tells you his range crushes your hand. Re-assess.

------------------------------------------------

FOLD.

• edited February 2011
    Nah Open folding is madness. As is open shoving. When you make the open with 9's, most of the time, you're going to take the blinds uncontested. Sometimes you are going to get called. A small %age of the time, you're going to get shoved on. So clearly coming in for a raise is best, as opening and folding to a raise is perfectly fine when we're 40 big blinds deep. ------------------------------------------------- There's only really 77 and 88 that he could shove on us with that we beat. There are millions of hands we are flipping against, and quite a few that crush us. If at the start of the hand someone said to you "this hand, you're going to flip for 1,200 chips. Or, you can pay a 300 chip fine, and avoid having to do so"  Which option would you take in this situation? ------------------------------------------------- The 3x open has failed, you're raising against random hands - him shoving tells you his range crushes your hand. Re-assess. ------------------------------------------------ FOLD.
    Posted by DOHHHHHHH
    i see what your saying, ill have a think and respond in a bit

are you... dare i say it... asking the question??? lol
  • edited February 2011

no-ones perfect spikey

and with 2000+ dym games behind me on this site showing a nice profit im more than qualified innit

im not saying my advice is right, or am tellin any1 they have to listen to me. jmo

• edited February 2011
    This is a comfortable call. Dooohhh, your range assessment for what we beat (77 and 88) vs his reship range (TT+, QJ+) I would consider to be incorrect.

99 is a strong hand, and you are risking ~27% of your stack to outright finish the tournament.
  • edited February 2011
    5 left + comfortable with 40 BB and the chip lead + OOP = fold 99 pre IMO (DYM only)
  • edited February 2011
    5 left + comfortable with 40 BB and the chip lead + OOP = fold 99 pre IMO (DYM only)
    Posted by GaryQQQ
    a fold pre is fine. i just dont agree with this raise fold thing with a reasonably strong hand!

you will rarely see me raise fold in dyms! this is because when i raise i want my opponants to think they have no fold equity

when i raise, i mean business innit! my decision is made preflop dependant on the stacks and players.

coxy has it spot on imo
  • edited February 2011
    defo call with ur chips and against his chips imo, hes probably 5th out of 5th so his range will be wider, plus you've got no one to act after you, so 99 hu is massive, and if it a race at least you've got some chips to fall back on, plus its a chance of getting down to 4 players with you virtual in the money.
  • edited February 2011
    i do like this post and i like the way dohhh throws a cat amongst the pigeons here. I believe most of the players commenting on this post are very good players and would feel very comfortable with 3000 chips if they lose (including myself). My argument is, if im a begginer in poker and have a poor record would it be better to play it safe.
  • edited February 2011
    no-ones perfect spikey and with 2000+ dym games behind me on this site showing a nice profit im more than qualified innit im not saying my advice is right, or am tellin any1 they have to listen to me. jmo
    Posted by GREGHOGG
    Methinks Hoggers doth protest too much.
  • edited February 2011
    Call, it's 900 more, the loss wont hurt you if you do lose, and you can knock a player out and increase your chips if you win. I think the main thing in DYM's is not to put your tourney at risk when you don't need to and if this was for a large amount of your stack my answer would be different. 99 is a good hand, your tourney is not at risk and the loss wont hurt you that much, so i say it's a call
  • edited February 2011
    Considering you,ve already doubled up and have around 4k and with 5 playeres  i,m not raising pre and definatley folding after the all in, especially with the blinds at only 50/100 - theres a good chance  you can cash w/o playing another hand

If you lose this hand your doubling him up, putting him back into it and dragging yourself back into the game when you don,t need to

If it was an MTT or STT then its a different story and I,m calling it all day long
  • edited February 2011
    Nah Open folding is madness. As is open shoving. When you make the open with 9's, most of the time, you're going to take the blinds uncontested. Sometimes you are going to get called. A small %age of the time, you're going to get shoved on. So clearly coming in for a raise is best, as opening and folding to a raise is perfectly fine when we're 40 big blinds deep. ------------------------------------------------- There's only really 77 and 88 that he could shove on us with that we beat. There are millions of hands we are flipping against, and quite a few that crush us. If at the start of the hand someone said to you "this hand, you're going to flip for 1,200 chips. Or, you can pay a 300 chip fine, and avoid having to do so"  Which option would you take in this situation? ------------------------------------------------- The 3x open has failed, you're raising against random hands - him shoving tells you his range crushes your hand. Re-assess. ------------------------------------------------ FOLD.
    Posted by DOHHHHHHH
    This doesn't take into account the chance to knock a player out.
  • edited February 2011

It also doesnt take into account the chance of u gettin ur 300 back, +150 bonus.