You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

AK Vs AJ in the early stages of the five00

I had AK suited in the big blind about 2300 chips behind. There is a min raise to 100 under the gun from the big stack at the table, just under twice the starting stack and has been playing aggressive poker. there is a call from the button and the small blind folds I shove allin, a bit tilting. The big stack instantly calls and the button folds the big stack shows AJ off suit. The flop follows as 4 J J. the turn offers me hope with a flush draw but the river comes a blank. I asked the big stack why he called, he replied with " it was a rce and with my stack it woz easy".
Im not stupid and I know this is not a race unlike some but with the size of his stack could i excuss him fro this call?

Comments

• edited June 2009
    In Response to AK Vs AJ in the early stages of the five00:
    I had AK suited in the big blind about 2300 chips behind. There is a min raise to 100 under the gun from the big stack at the table, just under twice the starting stack and has been playing aggressive poker. there is a call from the button and the small blind folds I shove allin, a bit tilting. The big stack instantly calls and the button folds the big stack shows AJ off suit. The flop follows as 4 J J. the turn offers me hope with a flush draw but the river comes a blank. I asked the big stack why he called, he replied with " it was a rce and with my stack it woz easy". Im not stupid and I know this is not a race unlike some but with the size of his stack could i excuss him fro this call?
    Posted by Rosco15
    ive been in your situation many many times... AJ UTG u either pass or raise as he had done.. as u say he was running over the table being agressive,his hand range is vast.. and i believe u made the right move, even though it is still early stages the aj agressor shall we call him that thought he made a good play! hence his comment... u know the saying long term and short term.... i would play the way u did or possibly reraised him a bit to get a bit more info... but the villain would prob call u wiv 72! so it was in the laps of the poker gods!
  • edited June 2009

Hes got less than 6k and has to call 2.2k more so over a third of his stack with AJ. Its just a rank bad call there is zero justification for his call.

If i was you i would be thrilled when he called and showed AJ because you need some chips early and when the blinds get on a few levels you are usually gonna have to take a load of coin flips to stay alive so getting it in as a 73% fav is great.

Keep getting your money in good and you will have success but bear in mind that when you are playing a tourney with 7 minute blinds the luck factor is huge and once the blinds reach a certain level there is very little skill involved except to just keep moving allin.

Good luck in future tourneys.

• edited June 2009
    Its all good thought I found some comfort when i won the 1k velocity last night and if he hadn't of knocked me out i probably wouldn't have entered.
  • edited June 2009
    In Response to Re: AK Vs AJ in the early stages of the five00:
    Its all good thought I found some comfort when i won the 1k velocity last night and if he hadn't of knocked me out i probably wouldn't have entered.
    Posted by Rosco15
    Hi Rosco,
     Ask yourself one question, in the same situation would you do the same, if so then you did nowt wrong.
    Also you WANT calls like that every day of the week.
    col
  • edited June 2009
    I shove allin, a bit tilting.
    Posted by Rosco15
    This is a pretty important statement. If you're a bit tilting, and it's obvious that you are, then you're going to get looked up pretty speculatively.

In any case, like Colin and WildDog said, I wouldn't question the call because that's what you want, and i'm fairly sure you played the hand in such a way to get called by a marginal hand anyway. You got your money in as a good favourite and got outdrawn, ho hum. Do that in every tournament and in the long run you'll win money.
  • edited June 2009
    You got your money in as a good favourite and got outdrawn, ho hum. Do that in every tournament and in the long run you'll win money.
    Posted by YoungUn
    No you won't!
  • edited June 2009
    In Response to Re: AK Vs AJ in the early stages of the five00 : No you won't!
    Posted by T_Force
    Touche!

Allow me to correct it: Keep putting your money in ahead and in the long run you'll win money.
  • edited June 2009
    you did nout wrong my friend, standard shove for me in that fast donkament. Early double ups are needed in that thing.

agree with young gun and others.
  • edited June 2009
    I had AK suited in the big blind about 2300 chips behind. There is a min raise to 100 under the gun from the big stack at the table, just under twice the starting stack and has been playing aggressive poker. there is a call from the button and the small blind folds I shove allin, a bit tilting. The big stack instantly calls and the button folds the big stack shows AJ off suit. The flop follows as 4 J J. the turn offers me hope with a flush draw but the river comes a blank. I asked the big stack why he called, he replied with " it was a rce and with my stack it woz easy". Im not stupid and I know this is not a race unlike some but with the size of his stack could i excuss him fro this call?
    Posted by Rosco15

Im new to the site guys and love the chat on the forum. The call is good. Poker is a game of odds and ultimately comes down to making calls where your 70/30 ahead. If you are then the call is good. If you loose, thats poker....but you'll win more AK vs AJ than your lose.
  • edited June 2009

RACE HA, AJ WAS FAV HE WAS BEHIND AND DOM AND BIGGER STACK MAKES HIM SKYPOKER 80% FAV

• edited June 2009
    New nickname for AK :Anna Kournakova, looks good never wins
    Posted by Torryladd
    NEW? THATS SO 1990S MY FRIEND
  • edited June 2009

look u played ak right and i think he played aj right, bigger stack in muppet mtt,u said u made it look like tilt? gd job it worked, i would do same with aj, hope u have small pair or j2, its the open no play no time to think, no if u did the same move with near same stack size i fold aj,not going to win many opens folding aj to smaller tilting stacks?

• edited June 2009
    look u played ak right and i think he played aj right, bigger stack in muppet mtt,u said u made it look like tilt? gd job it worked, i would do same with aj, hope u have small pair or j2, its the open no play no time to think, no if u did the same move with near same stack size i fold aj,not going to win many opens folding aj to smaller tilting stacks?
    Posted by JPDERRY
       LOL dont take this post on, i did not see the blinds where only 25 50 and idiot min raise and calls all in aj,bad call bad play no need for aj to gamble,LOL SHOULD HAVE READ YOUR POST CAREFULLY