You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

kicking myself here (i need help lol)

edited February 2011 in The Poker Clinic
i have not been sat at this table for long and dont really have any reads on anyone. Everything in my gut was telling me to fold, however pre-flop and after the flop i believe i called more out of curiousity rather than believing that i was ahead

Hand History #341241505 (17:34 13/02/2011)

PlayerActionCardsAmountPotBalance
beeasyonme Small blind  £0.25 £0.25 £26.82
Geek57 Big blind  £0.50 £0.75 £19.00
  Your hole cards

wolfkin Fold     
IcBear25 Fold     
mabsue Fold     
stanley644 Raise  £1.00 £1.75 £102.19
beeasyonme Raise  £1.50 £3.25 £25.32
Geek57 Call  £1.25 £4.50 £17.75
stanley644 Raise  £4.50 £9.00 £97.69
beeasyonme Call  £3.75 £12.75 £21.57
Geek57 Call  £3.75 £16.50 £14.00
Flop

beeasyonme Bet  £3.00 £19.50 £18.57
Geek57 Fold     
stanley644 All-in  £97.69 £117.19 £0.00
beeasyonme All-in  £18.57 £135.76 £0.00
stanley644 Unmatched bet  £76.12 £59.64 £76.12
beeasyonme Show

stanley644 Show
  • K
  • K

Turn

• J

River

stanley644 Win Pair of Kings £57.84  £133.96

Comments

• edited February 2011
    The reraise preflop is fine, but after you get the flat and then the original raiser comes back over the top, alarm bells should be ringing loud and clear. You can remove 88 and down, I think you can even remove TT from his range- the worst he has here is JJ or at a push AK. After a 3bet and call, hand ranges that can 4bet drop very dramatically.

The bet on the flop is far too small, that's getting you nothing whatsoever. But when he rejams, you have to believe him and fold- if he's done that with AK, fair play- it's gutsy as hell. But far more likely is JJ/QQ/KK, all of which don't want to see an A and want the pot done with- not to mention with KK he may well get looked up by 99-QQ, which is the kind of range he puts you on. It prices any AK/AQ/AJ hands out straight away, which are more likely to outdraw him.

I don't mind the preflop play, but I think you have to be thinking that you're calling to go setmining, with the implied odds that if you hit your set, chances are you stack him (if you're holding 77-88 here, the hand plays the same- but you'd be taking home the cash).

Remember that poker is about having to fold the best hand sometimes, and this is where hand ranges come into play- his range includes 4 hands that beat you, and one hand that you beat. Based on those odds, you simply have to fold.
  • edited February 2011
    Nope the reraise preflop is horrible, when he minraises you need to then make it at least £3. When you get raised again it's pretty clear he has a big pocket pair so you should know you need to set up to win.

On flop betting £3 into £16.50 is pretty scary (in a bad way) as it serves no purpose. When stanley shoves over this you have to be thinking why he's doing this. yes he could have AK, 2 overs + FD but for me it's much more likely he's got JJ+, I would fold here and try and get some reads before making this sort of call.

Also don't sit with 50 BB's, always have a full BI at the table.
  • edited February 2011
    In Response to Re: kicking myself here (i need help lol):
    The reraise preflop is fine, but after you get the flat and then the original raiser comes back over the top, alarm bells should be ringing loud and clear. You can remove 88 and down, I think you can even remove TT from his range- the worst he has here is JJ or at a push AK. After a 3bet and call, hand ranges that can 4bet drop very dramatically. The bet on the flop is far too small, that's getting you nothing whatsoever. But when he rejams, you have to believe him and fold- if he's done that with AK, fair play- it's gutsy as hell. But far more likely is JJ/QQ/KK, all of which don't want to see an A and want the pot done with- not to mention with KK he may well get looked up by 99-QQ, which is the kind of range he puts you on. It prices any AK/AQ/AJ hands out straight away, which are more likely to outdraw him. I don't mind the preflop play, but I think you have to be thinking that you're calling to go setmining, with the implied odds that if you hit your set, chances are you stack him (if you're holding 77-88 here, the hand plays the same- but you'd be taking home the cash). Remember that poker is about having to fold the best hand sometimes, and this is where hand ranges come into play- his range includes 4 hands that beat you, and one hand that you beat. Based on those odds, you simply have to fold.
    Posted by DeucesLive
    thank you, if im honest i also had him on QQ or KK. Iv been playing poker for about four months now and im doing ok but i have a really bad habbit of calling this kind of hand almost certain im going to lose. I guess the more i play the easier it will be to fold this hand.

thanks again
  • edited February 2011
    one of the best things you can do as a poker player is eliminate curiousity- which is easier said than done, but something you have to do.

If you put a player on a hand that beats you, fold and don't worry about the possibility he may have bluffed you- move on. Trust your instincts, and trust the maths of the situation- calling to 'see if you're right' when it's costing your whole stack is a really, really bad idea. For a couple of BBs you can get away with a curiousity call for information.
  • edited February 2011
    In Response to Re: kicking myself here (i need help lol):
    Nope the reraise preflop is horrible, when he minraises you need to then make it at least £3. When you get raised again it's pretty clear he has a big pocket pair so you should know you need to set up to win. On flop betting £3 into £16.50 is pretty scary (in a bad way) as it serves no purpose. When stanley shoves over this you have to be thinking why he's doing this. yes he could have AK, 2 overs + FD but for me it's much more likely he's got JJ+, I would fold here and try and get some reads before making this sort of call. Also don't sit with 50 BB's, always have a full BI at the table.
    Posted by Dudeskin8
    i agree with you here preflop after a min raise, i snap raised in a almost too lazy to move the cursor kind of way. When Stanley puts in a much higher raise i did feel as if he was trapping me into this hand, i called regardless (not once but twice). I played the hand poorly from the start. Thanks for the advice