You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

rebuy tournaments?

edited February 2011 in The Poker Clinic
Ok just wanting advice that many people ask me. I have an ok record in rebuy tournaments, however as a player i refuse to rebuy in them.

So my question is and one i get asked all the time, how do you recommend playing the re-buy period of an mtt?

Secondly is it ever worthwhile using the add-on at the break?

Comments

• edited February 2011
    In Response to rebuy tournaments?:
    Ok just wanting advice that many people ask me. I have an ok record in rebuy tournaments, however as a player i refuse to rebuy in them. So my question is and one i get asked all the time, how do you recommend playing the re-buy period of an mtt? Secondly is it ever worthwhile using the add-on at the break?
    Posted by The_Don90
    I play re-buys the same way i do freeze-outs. I will rebuy if i get a bad beat in the early stages and i think the the overall prize is worth it, but that is rare. As far as adding on at the break, i don't do this. The amount of chips you get for the add on compared to the blinds at this stage of the tourney make it rarely a good decision.

I don't think it is a case of you must do this or you must not do that, it's a case of each to their own, this is just the way i choose to do it.
  • edited February 2011
    In Response to rebuy tournaments?:
    Ok just wanting advice that many people ask me. I have an ok record in rebuy tournaments, however as a player i refuse to rebuy in them. So my question is and one i get asked all the time, how do you recommend playing the re-buy period of an mtt? Secondly is it ever worthwhile using the add-on at the break?
    Posted by The_Don90
    I too am / was not a fan of rebuys until I read TK's article on  why rebuys can be a useful addition to your game, and he also gave some sound advice on how  and when to play them.............If anyone hasn't read it yet I would strongly recommend looking it up.
  • edited February 2011
    If you're prepared to re-buy and add-on they are well worth entering. You'll have a big advantage over the players who won't do either under any circumstances. If you're not then stick to freezeouts. Tikay's article that Billy mentions is well worth reading.

My preference is to re-buy early, as soon as somebody else at my table either re-buys or wins a big pot and has at least 25% more chips than me. The add-on is nearly always worth taking unless you are chip leader by a long way. Don't do what you see some crazy players doing, ie go on tilt and make multiple single rebuys towards the end of the first hour when it only buys say 2BB each time, an early re-buy is much more valuable. If I bust out and decide to re-buy I always make it a double rebuy.

The low stakes rebuy tournaments on Sky are soft because there are relatively few players who know how to play them properly, stray to other sites and you will similar events much tougher.
  • edited February 2011
    always rebuy at the start so you have a double stack
    always addon

so if the BI is 2.20 then you should really be seeing it as a 6.60

and realise that in rebuys, especially on the bigger sites, the strategy is to get a stack in super light so you have a very big stack after the addon  period. when i play some of the big GTDs that are 2.20/3.30/5.50 I always budget for at least 6 rebuys.

• edited February 2011
    In Response to Re: rebuy tournaments?:
    In Response to rebuy tournaments? : I play re-buys the same way i do freeze-outs. I will rebuy if i get a bad beat in the early stages and i think the the overall prize is worth it, but that is rare. As far as adding on at the break, i don't do this. The amount of chips you get for the add on compared to the blinds at this stage of the tourney make it rarely a good decision. I don't think it is a case of you must do this or you must not do that, it's a case of each to their own, this is just the way i choose to do it.
    Posted by salazar
    the £11 friday night rebuy on Sky you get 3k chips when levels are 50/100.  it is a good decision.
  • edited February 2011
    In Response to Re: rebuy tournaments? : the £11 friday night rebuy on Sky you get 3k chips when levels are 50/100.  it is a good decision.
    Posted by scotty77
    I can't comment on a specific tourney but I normally find blinds are 150/300 and you get an extra 2000 chips. 6 BB's for £10. I'll pass thanks
  • edited February 2011
    In Response to Re: rebuy tournaments? : I can't comment on a specific tourney but I normally find blinds are 150/300 and you get an extra 2000 chips. 6 BB's for £10. I'll pass thanks
    Posted by salazar
    The friday night rebuy tourney scotty is talking about is the only £10 one on Sky so it is a 37.5 x BB's boost at the break and worthwhile having! The tournaments your talking about are the £1 - £5 Speed rebuys and your correct then - there is no point getting an add on