You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Grinding up a bankroll?

edited February 2011 in Poker Chat
Okay guys as you are all most probably aware i have recently returned from Afghanistan. Out there i analysed my game a lot, spent a lot of time with my head in the books and generally working hard at my game. I have £350 in my account - however with a month of work i am looking to grind this up? I just dont know where to start? Cn somebody offer me some advice please, or even better write up a game plan that i could stick to, ie, what level cash, how many sit n go, how many tourny ( and obvs how much i should spend on buy ins etc)

Many Thanks

Mike

Comments

• edited February 2011
    In Response to Grinding up a bankroll?:

I wouldn't dream of offering any advice Mick because I'm nowhere near qualified enough but i'm sure you will get some really sound advice from a lot of top players on here.......but I just wanted to wish you luck and welcome back.
  • edited February 2011

Alright bud. 

It's probably gonna be all about volume, play as often as possible, and as many tables as you can, without compromising the quality of your play.

----------------------------------------------------------

For example I play 4 tables, and win more than I would on 3 tables, but at a slower rate on each table......But overall it adds up to more profit.

If I play 5, it drops to a lower over-all profit than playing 3, so 4 is my optimum at the moment.

Some people find anything less than 6 boring, and their performance dips coz they get bored, playing more like 8/9/10 is optimul for them, it's where they have their biggest winning sessions, for them 12+ might be where their performance dips.

For others, 1 table might be the max they can do, and that's fine also.

---------------------------------------------------------

But deffo play as much as you can, and find a level you can comfortably beat. Having spoken to you before, I'd say you can comfortably beat nl10, but you've prob got alot better since then.

I'd start 4 tabling nl10 if you can, for a couple of days, and take it from there. 3/4 hour sessions works for me, you might like to do shorter sessions, but I don't play very often so when I do I need to get stuck in.

so 4 hour sessions, twice a day maybe? if you hav time.

Also the best times to play are deffo mornings, and nights, so if you're up early enough, try 6am-11amish, then 11pm-3am (enjoy your 3 hours kip inbetween, lol, afternoon naps ftw ;)

If you enjoy mtt's - theres a few decent ones every night on sky now, have a couple of goes at £5 and maybe a £10 one depending on how you've ran during that day/how confident you're feeling etc etc.

Wouldn't bother too much with sats, this time is better spent grinding the cash tables (unless you're a competent multi tabler, in which case 1 more wont hurt)

Wouldn't bother with sngs either, again, playing cash is more profitable if you're beating the game.

------------------------------------------------

This is a much longer reply than I expected it to be!

GL!
  • edited February 2011
    Are these the best times JJ? I must admit i do make quiet a bit when i have played late at night. mainly 12:00 - 2am, iv tried playing early in the morning, But this is when i seem to lose most haha.
  • edited February 2011
    cash is best for building up a roll in a quickish time.
    STT/DYM if you really know the strrategy and are happy to grind out a small, but consistant profit.
    MTT you should play whenever you feel like.  use your cash profits to BI or try to sat in cheap via the nightly 5pm Semi on Sky.

I would say to you to start off 2 tabling 10nl/20nl then move up/add more tables as you feel more comfortable.

• edited February 2011
    In Response to Re: Grinding up a bankroll?:
    Are these the best times JJ? I must admit i do make quiet a bit when i have played late at night. mainly 12:00 - 2am, iv tried playing early in the morning, But this is when i seem to lose most haha.
    Posted by shaun09

late at night is best.  morning grinds are generally the worst
  • edited February 2011
    agree with scotty about the 2 nl10/20 tables, but unlike him i like the morning sessions( probably coz i aint steaming) and i would stay away from friday evenings unless you see me on a table and its easy pickings!!
  • edited February 2011

I never play mornings myself, but if I'm up before 9-25, I always watch the 100/200nl tables for an hour or so until Jeremy Kyle comes on, and they're always alot softer at that time of day than any other time I watch them.

Maybe it's just at those levels then.

The good regs must not get out of bed till midday :)
  • edited February 2011
    Yeah Dohhh i watch them tables to, and there is alot of people who buy in for 80 quid ect early in morning when the regs arnt on, alot of names we never normally see in afternoon or late at night, Obv when all the regs have woken up after a hard nights grind at the tables :D
  • edited February 2011
    agree with scotty about the 2 nl10/20 tables, but unlike him i like the morning sessions( probably coz i aint steaming) and i would stay away from friday evenings unless you see me on a table and its easy pickings!!
    Posted by pod1
    This, and saturdays are the best time to get money off all the drunks lol
  • edited February 2011
    In Response to Re: Grinding up a bankroll? : This, and saturdays are the best time to get money off all the drunks lol
    Posted by loonytoons
    +1 this is so true ;) 
  • edited February 2011

Have you thought about heads up sit and go's? Ive been playing turbos for three months now and converted £50 into the best part of £1000 (look at sharkscope). At lower levels the opposition is pretty soft as dohhhhhhhh will verify.

With £350 you could comfortably play £10 turbos, if you can achieve the same roi as me you could easily make £1500 in a month.

For me I prefer this game to cash.

• edited February 2011
    Posted by shaun09
    I don,t often play in the mornings, but would have thought the players at this time of day have no work to go to and make money from playing poker - same with early afternoons
    I maybe wrong but i,d say the best times to play would be after 6pm when recreational players are getting in from work and later on as they are getting in from the pub or a night out
    Its also busier so you have more tables to pick from, but its an intersting topic

What do other ppl think the best times to play are? (apart from the obvious late friday and saturday nights)
  • edited February 2011
    Have you thought about heads up sit and go's? Ive been playing turbos for three months now and converted £50 into the best part of £1000 (look at sharkscope). At lower levels the opposition is pretty soft as dohhhhhhhh will verify. With £350 you could comfortably play £10 turbos, if you can achieve the same roi as me you could easily make £1500 in a month. For me I prefer this game to cash.
    Posted by ACEGOONER

Really im shocked, not at how soft it is but how well ur doing....dont take offence by that ;) just we've played a few times
  • edited February 2011
    If your are going to play the heads up turbos, start at the 5.25 buy in then get used to the format, blind levels... (and the suckouts), from there say you hit £500 then move up to the 10.50 level. 
  • edited February 2011
    In Response to Re: Grinding up a bankroll? : Really im shocked, not at how soft it is but how well ur doing....dont take offence by that ;) just we've played a few times
    Posted by YOUNG_GUN
    Cheeky Blighter!

Whats that shankly said about form being temporary and class being permanent. Check my scope figures !

As for our heads up yes we have played a few times and generally I dont play well against the fish , I need to play someone decent to raise my game :)
  • edited February 2011
    haha wp gooner, u should see mine for STT only sucks right now running sooo bad

i must bring u down to my level