You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

What Would You Do?

edited February 2011 in The Poker Clinic
This was in Vegas points semi.  35 left, I am in 27th and 32 qualify.  Villain is 2 or 3 places up from me.

Hand History #341354797 (21:00 13/02/2011)PlayerActionCardsAmountPotBalanceibbo885Small blind 300.00300.004982.50DollieBig blind 600.00900.003830.00 Your hole cardsA8   SINGAFold    ryan1976Fold    STRATHX328Fold    ginger1969Fold    ibbo885Call 300.001200.004682.50DollieCheck    Flop  748   ibbo885Bet 600.001800.004082.50DollieAll-in 3830.005630.000.00ibbo885Call 3230.008860.00852.50ibbo885Show910   DollieShowA8   Turn  A   River  J   ibbo885WinStraight to the Jack8860.00 9712.50

Comments

• edited February 2011

Hi Gordon

This may have had no effect on the outcome anyway as he prob. limp calls... BUT, i would have just jammed it preflop when he completes from the sb.

A8 is above average, and often when they limp in here they are hoping to see a cheap flop with junk and hit a piece of it. So i will 100% jam here pre to either get a fold, or get my money in first and usually ahead (unless they are trapping)

Once that flop comes down I think its a cooler, but i would rather have your made hand. Your shove was perfect on that flop.

Unlucky m8, hope you can make the final another time.

Your opponent played this hand back to front, if i was him i woulda jammed pre with the 109s and given you the decision. Instead he calls his tournie on a draw, albeit a big draw.

In summary, you were both too short to guarentee a seat, the money had to go in imo and its up to the poker gods.

• edited February 2011
    Hi Dollie

I,m reluctantly not putting any more money in this pot after your BB and letting my time bar run out for the nxt orbit while keeping a close eye on the lobby - Its suprising how many ppl will clash on other tables and i think you,ve just got enough chips to squezze into the top 27

i did this the other day in a satelite from a very similar position and scraped in -

i,ve just realised it was the same game - i had a similar stack to yourself and was in the bottom 2 or 3 from nearly 40 players
  • edited February 2011
    I also would jam preflop
  • edited February 2011
    Snap shove pre, but isn't this just a bad beat yaaaaaawn aswell ?
  • edited February 2011
    I'd have jammed pre with any two let alone A8.

Insta-shove.
  • edited February 2011
    It was not meant to be a bad beat yaaaaawn!  We were both in qualifying places at the start of the hand.  Had he raised from the SB I would of folded, likewise if he had bet the flop I would have folded.  Given that he checked the flop, I figured that he would not risk going out of tournie with any sort of draw so I shoved expecting an instant fold.
  • edited February 2011
    In Response to Re: What Would You Do?:
    It was not meant to be a bad beat yaaaaawn!  We were both in qualifying places at the start of the hand.  Had he raised from the SB I would of folded, likewise if he had bet the flop I would have folded.  Given that he checked the flop, I figured that he would not risk going out of tournie with any sort of draw so I shoved expecting an instant fold.
    Posted by Dollie
    He didn't check the flop though, he min bet it.

Your shove is still fine, but it should have been done pre-flop.
  • edited February 2011
    In Response to Re: What Would You Do?:
    Hi Dollie I,m reluctantly not putting any more money in this pot after your BB and letting my time bar run out for the nxt orbit while keeping a close eye on the lobby - Its suprising how many ppl will clash on other tables and i think you,ve just got enough chips to squezze into the top 27 i did this the other day in a satelite from a very similar position and scraped in - i,ve just realised it was the same game - i had a similar stack to yourself and was in the bottom 2 or 3 from nearly 40 players
    Posted by MP33
    i was also in this qualifier and i think i was against you in the first round. After playing in this tour i think your advice is good as i was very comfortable at this stage, but still only managed to scrape in due to making the same assumption dollie made, thinking no one is gona risk going out at a late stage. Surprisingly enough many players in this qualifier took bizarre risks