You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Folding QQ late in DYM

edited February 2011 in The Poker Clinic
Is this too passive?

I know he could well be shoving with any two here and it was a very reluctant fold. I've had a few bad experiences of late at this level of game and so made the fold. In plenty of other situations I'd call but I thought this would have dragged me right back into the fight to avoid 4th if I lost it.

The table ran for 15 more hands before the vilain was all in called by another player and was dominated JToff v AJ suited. So I could well have been well ahead going in with QQ on this hand.

Thanks

PlayerActionCardsAmountPotBalancexxx 2Small blind100.00100.001767.50futsalrefBig blind200.00300.003577.50 Your hole cardsQQ   villainAll-in1820.002120.000.00xxx 1Fold4560.00xxx 2FoldfutsalrefFoldvillainMuckvillainWin500.00500.00villainReturn1620.000.002120.00

Comments

• edited February 2011
    4 handed with 3577 you have a very healthy stack and I can understand the fold seeing as it's a DYM but I would be very tempted to call.

Would he really do that with KK/AA, yes he does it with AK but there's a massive amount of hands you destroy so I'd call.
  • edited February 2011

Wow.

Surely this is an outragiously bad fold?????????

• edited February 2011
    I don't play DYM's as it is just such a horrible and unenoyable way to play poker.

I understand the thoughts behind folding your way to a cash etc etc.

But surely somebody has to take a stand to knock out the last player and QQ figures to be ahead here 90% of the time.

Surely if you keep folding and this player keeps stealing you will find your chip stack dwindling?

You can't afford to wait for somebody else to take the player out or you could find yourself being the one having to shove and steal and have your tournament at risk.

As I say I don't play them so my logic could be flawed.
  • edited February 2011
    yeah adding onto cliokids point the villain is also 4th out of 4 here which widens the range of hands he is willing to go all in on. The villain has played this hand well by going all in against the two players who really dont want to lose that amount of chips.
  • edited February 2011
    Yeah I definately think this is a call. As has been said the only hand you really don't want to see is AK assuming that most players won't open shove AA and KK. So the worst case your 50/50. But I would expect you to be against a smaller pocket pair much of the time, and rag aces much of the time as well as a few hands with 2 undercards. I don't think you can let this go here as you will end the game so often. Even on the occasions you don't you go down to 1900 in chips (which is nearly 10 BBs at this level) and 3rd out of 4 in chips, still plenty enough to cash.

I think the overriding factor here is the strength of your hand on a 4 handed table, QQ is massive. The only way I would fold here was if the game was clearly put to bed from my point of view (ie super micro stack or away player) and this isn't one of those cases, there is still work to do in this one so finish the job imo.

JC
  • edited February 2011
    I agree you're ahead here like almost always, but that doesn't mean villain is anywhere near drawing dead. You could easily end up losing for no reason, you've got a strong stack- I totally understand the fold, anywhere outside of a DYM/satellite and it's an appalling fold.

Having said that, QQ is very strong and you are in a great position to shut this down and move on to the next one. Folding prolongs it and could prove to be a -EV move, even assuming you go on to cash 100% of the time if you fold- because you're wasting unnecessary time on a game which should be over right now.
  • edited February 2011
    Thanks for the replies.

I am playing QQ in so many other situations and it was just the late DYM situation.

I hear what your saying though on both sides of the case and think I'll be calling it in future as it could be anything he's holding and with QQ I need to take the initiative and see if I can close it out.

Had a bit of a bad run and so tightened up a little. Maybe a little too much on this occasion.
  • edited February 2011
    never ever ever ever ever fold this!

• edited February 2011
    Iing n Response to Re: Folding QQ late in DYM:
    never ever ever ever ever fold this!
    Posted by GREGHOGG
    +1