You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Bankroll

edited February 2011 in Poker Chat
Dear sky viewer players. i just wanted as many opinions as possible. i think im a good standard player. however i do not have a large bankroll and find my self risking my whole bankroll in play at any 1 time multitableing. my bankroll is £30 and i was woundering what levels and games i should be playing. sky poker presenters would like your opinions too if thats ok. yesterday i had AA  on 2 tables and both hands lost and i went broke. before i resume playing again i would like opinions of as many people as possible. Many thanks Anthony x

Comments

• edited February 2011
    What do you prefer playing ? Sng's or cash ?

I'd say for £30 i'd play play 2p/4p cash, maybe multitabling four at once if comfortable for you to do so with maybe £3 on each table.

If you're not running well on a table close it down and open another.

• edited February 2011
    Hi Anthony and welcome to the forum!

Bankroll management is one of those key skills and there are some differing views on how to best go from a small roll to a big one. I'd go for something like the following:

If a cash game player...

Play a level where you have 20 x max buy-in. So if you're playing 2/4p, that's 20 x £4, so £80. Yes, I know your roll is £30 at the moment, but this is what I'd consider a sound amount to tackle the 2/4p games. They can be pretty swingy and you want to make sure you'd have enough bullets for it, so to speak. That makes the following more appealing until you get to the £80 mark....

Sit and gos and Double Your Moneys...

Double Your Money sit and gos are a bit of an acquired taste but they can offer a cheap way of getting a few quid together. They're easier to cash obviously than a 6-max or 10-handed sit and go, although DYMs require a different approach.

I'd personally say try your hand at 10-max, get used to all the key skills you'll need (position, bet sizing, playing short-handed and heads-up, etc) and a solid game should get you on your way. Ask for some advice on hands in The Poker Clinic too - always good bouncing ideas around, in my opinion.

Sit and gos begins from 30p upwards and I'd have a roll of 20 buy-ins for those if I am 1-tabling, 30 buy-ins for 2 tabling (just to accomodate for the swings a bit more, basically). So with £30, I'd either one or two table the £1+10p SNGs.

Multitable tournaments

I'd actually only try these once you start closing out some sit and gos. All of the money in MTTs is at the top end of the payouts, so if you can't handle short-handed play too well you're rarely going to get all the cheese. The pay days become less frequent too just because you have so many more bullets to dodge in an MTT vs an STT.

That said, you could try your hand at some of the freerolls or Vegas Points Fest tourneys that are on at the moment as a way of testing the water.

Hope that helps and keep asking questions!
    Dave
  • edited February 2011

thankyou for thaat post

• edited February 2011
    i generally play sit and go. but also mix it up with cash and mtts. i played 10 sit and goes last night and won 8 of them,  loseing 2. got over confident put my money in cash and went bust. any advice on this as at one point i was at the 80 mark. plus i find my self relativly new to the game and it is very addictive, cant seem to stop playing once have started, this dosnt go well with work or my college corse lol. any advice on this?
  • edited February 2011
    What level of cash did you play to go bust ?

Was it just on one table ?
  • edited February 2011
    In Response to Re: Bankroll:
    i generally play sit and go. but also mix it up with cash and mtts. i played 10 sit and goes last night and won 8 of them,  loseing 2. got over confident put my money in cash and went bust. any advice on this as at one point i was at the 80 mark. plus i find my self relativly new to the game and it is very addictive, cant seem to stop playing once have started, this dosnt go well with work or my college corse lol. any advice on this?
    Posted by 3746
    Advice on the latter (which is part bankroll awareness, part tilt control) is a trickier one. I always set a rule for myself which is once I lose two pots worth a buy-in or more I sit out for a bit. I just think it stops me from even attempting to tilt off any profit, etc.

As for wandering to the cash tables, just stick with one discipline for a while until you start seeing some positive sessions go in the book. Once you've got that down, you can take some well-founded confidence to the table and move across to some of the other disciplines.
  • edited February 2011
    With a bankroll of £30 i would play 2/4p and multi table like Dan said (AcidMan)

I was just like you a month ago and i started with £20 and have worked that up to £65 just by playing 2/4p.

I would also recommend reading IRISHROVER's blogs on DYM's and 2/4p cash they are great!
  • edited February 2011

£10 in cash 2-3 tables. where do i find the blogs? ty all 4 the advice :)

• edited February 2011
    Posted by 3746
    +1
     Irishrovers blogs are great reading you'll find them in the community next to the forum tab or here   https://www.skypoker.com/secure/poker/sky_lobby/community/blogs and click on Rovers Return (on investment)

gl and run well
  • edited February 2011
    With a bankroll of £30 i would play 2/4p and multi table like Dan said (AcidMan) I was just like you a month ago and i started with £20 and have worked that up to £65 just by playing 2/4p. I would also recommend reading IRISHROVER's blogs on DYM's and 2/4p cash they are great!
    Posted by JIMMYMAD
    Ty jim .
  • edited February 2011
    In Response to Re: Bankroll : +1  Irishrovers blogs are great reading you'll find them in the community next to the forum tab or here   https://www.skypoker.com/secure/poker/sky_lobby/community/blogs and click on Rovers Return (on investment) gl and run well
    Posted by scouse_red
    Ty  Chris
  • edited February 2011
    Posted by 3746

Any question relating to  detail in said blogs ,
    pm me .

Denis

p.s leave a comment in blogs good or bad
    it keeps them alive for others to use .
  • edited February 2011
    In Response to Re: Bankroll : Ty  Chris
    Posted by IRISHROVER
    Denis you're very welcome they've helped me a lot already, and I mean that, as someone who was trying to find my Poker feet so to speak they've made me realise some of the things i was doing wrong
    Thank You
  • edited February 2011
    In Response to Re: Bankroll : Denis you're very welcome they've helped me a lot already, and I mean that, as someone who was trying to find my Poker feet so to speak they've made me realise some of the things i was doing wrong Thank You
    Posted by scouse_red
                               + 1,0000000000000000000000000.....................Top Top man is our Denis.
    He's the good Samaritan we all love and need...........ty Denis

• edited February 2011
    How could someones bankroll be 30 pound?

Do you live in the third world?
  • edited February 2011
    We all have to start somewhere maybe this is all they can afford not everyone is well off
  • edited February 2011
    thankyou for thaat post
    Posted by 3746
    see my recent post 'having taken a break'