You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

sky poker fees

edited February 2011 in Poker Chat
i find that the skypoker buyin fees are to exspensive who agrees with me

Comments

• edited February 2011
    they are standard have a look at a few other sites there wont be much in it
  • edited February 2011
    you can have  a £1.10 buy in a deepstack,4 hrs of entertainment,great value for money
  • edited February 2011
    Not Again.....  Sigh

(No Offense daiw, but I'm sick to death of this one ) 
  • edited February 2011
  • edited February 2011

the fees are the same here as every other site except sky plays in £'s and £'s only where as everywhere else is $'s and/or euros but i would say the fees on sky are fair and not over expensive obvously if you want to play the main events at 8pm you have to expect the BI fee to be higher the a normal sng or dym as the prize pools are a lot bigger but if you look on other sites you will see that some of them have $1000 BI's so compare sky to them skys BI fees are small

• edited February 2011
    sky mod; can jj please refrain from using such language as it could be seen as  though you are implying that sky are "screwing". your blogging rights will be terminated!! (if you did one)
  • edited February 2011
    In Response to Re: sky poker fees:
    Not Again.....  Sigh (No Offense daiw, but I'm sick to death of this one ) 
    Posted by JockBMW
    Not again.....sigh

(no offence jockbmw but im sick to death of this now)

In other words 15% on low level games for small bankroll players is NOT RIGHT

I await ure reply MR.BROWN NOSE
  • edited February 2011
    I assume you are refering to the rake.
    If thhis is the case here's my take on it............

Live TV, presenters, analysts and studio guests all cost money and i think we all agree that this is one of the plus sides to Sky Poker..............just a thought
  • edited February 2011
    exactly alot of the fees are 15% and it should be 10% because i play alotof the small buy ins and its not just worth it time you pay the fees
  • edited February 2011
    In Response to Re: sky poker fees : Not again.....sigh (no offence jockbmw but im sick to death of this now) In other words 15% on low level games for small bankroll players is NOT RIGHT I await ure reply MR.BROWN NOSE
    Posted by debdobs_67

The point I was trying to make is that this has been done and discussed at length.  No One is holding a gun to your head to make you play Sky Poker.  If the rake on Low stakes games is too high, then there are plenty of alternative sites to play on.

If the forum is the thing that makes you come to sky, then come to the forum.  You don't have to play poker here to use the forum.

I play on Sky because I like the TV, Forum, POker play that is combined into one package.  If it means that I have to pay 15% instead of 10% to play a game here, then so what.  If that is something that is important to you, and I can understand while it would be for some people, then don't play. 

As far as Brown Nosing is concerned, I play this site because I like it,  i don't always agree with some of the things Sky do, but I think the positives far out way the  negatives, if that makes me a brown nose.....  well I'm sure I'll still manage to sleep well at night ;o)

Gl on the tables 

• edited February 2011
    i like the site but the fees is something sky need to look into
  • edited February 2011
    Played a sng on stars just now,.....
    $5+30 to play....

Well under 10%
  • edited February 2011
  • edited February 2011
    Charging an extra 50% rake to low level players is .............. well, fill in the missings words yourself. 

While you all keep playing them Sky will do nothing ............ Kerrrrrchinnnng!
  • edited February 2011
    Party Poker rake is roughly on a par with Sky in low buy-in STT/MTTs. They seem to do OK.

Let's face it, people playing in 30p/50p/£1 DYMs and the like are not here to seriously try and make a profit, at that level poker is a recreational game.

Good old fashioned supply and demand will dictate the fees, if nobody ever sat at the tables that charge over 10% the rake would probably drop, but that's simply not the case, they all fill up quite quicky irrespective of what other sites are charging.

You pay your money, you make your choice. I play on several other sites too, but I play much more here than anywhere else, Sky Bounty Hunter tournaments that charge 15% rake are among my favourites.
  • edited February 2011
    It's insane that people continue to try and defend sky on this.

It's also krazy that everyone from sky refuses to comment on the real issue.

Instead they try and justify why they deleted a blog, yet completely ignore the whole point that the blog was trying to make.

I think they deleted to blog on purpose as they knew that it would be a massive issue amongst the forum regs who love to create a fuss over V little tbh.

It's much easier for them to justify deleting a blog, than it is for them to justify screwing the micro-stakers.

• edited February 2011

JJ says.....

"....It's also krazy that everyone from sky refuses to comment on the real issue.
    Instead they try and justify why they deleted a blog, yet completely ignore the whole point that the blog was trying to make......"

Would you like me to to comment on the issue then, Dohhhhh?

I'm very happy so to do, assuming the debate is civil, & not vitriolic, but I will not be replying or responding to any insults, or rude Posts.

Up to you, but I am more than happy to comment.
  • edited February 2011

Your hands are tied, you can't give an honest opinion.

I would like a reply from the guy who makes the decision about the fees that are charged, not you.

You don't stand a chance in situations like this, and I feel for you, as you really aren't the person that should have to deal with such posts.

I suspect you agree with Dennis, and myself, but would never be able to admit it on here.

But if you can forward the thread/question to the relevent person/people, I would be appreciate it, and be interested to see them attempt to justify it.
  • edited February 2011

My opinion, fwiw

If Sky were to make the rake on the micro DYM's 10% I don't believe they would lose money through it, and they may even make a little more.

Why? By making it slightly easier for beginners to break even or make a very small profit it would encourage more of them to keep playing or to play more, which would then mean more rake for Sky.

It's not as if the sums of money concerned are going to encourage people to withdraw their cash or play elsewhere.

• edited February 2011
    Your hands are tied, you can't give an honest opinion. I would like a reply from the guy who makes the decision about the fees that are charged, not you. You don't stand a chance in situations like this, and I feel for you, as you really aren't the person that should have to deal with such posts. I suspect you agree with Dennis, and myself, but would never be able to admit it on here. But if you can forward the thread/question to the relevent person/people, I would be appreciate it, and be interested to see them attempt to justify it.
    Posted by DOHHHHHHH
    I don't know about "don't stand a chance" JJ, when they descend to abusing me instead of addressing the issues, it says so much.

When APAT was first announced, I got battered on every Poker Forum in Europe, one thread ran to over 70 pages. APAT is now a thriving organisation, never once charged Membership, or Reg Fees, & has Added Value for every single Event, as a result of which, tens of thousands of recreational players are totally loyal to it.

When "Poker Night Live" closed, ditto ditto, I got slated because I had moved to Sky Poker, & PNL closed after Sky Poker began. Ignoring the fact that latterly, the Televised Tourneys on Poker Night Live ended up with only 9 or 10 runners, because the Online Room was hopeless. 

I will debate anything, with anyone, I just don't respond to those that flame, are rude, or insult me or others. I see no need for the lack of manners.

I can't give an honest opinion, (as I am "onside"). Fair point, but I can make the case with FACTS, & without opinion. "Facts" & "opionions" are very different things.

If you'd prefer me to send the Thread upstairs, fine, I will, but I cannot promise they will comment, & I'm not sure why they should feel obliged to. They offer a range of products for sale. Customers can select those products they wish to buy, & ignore those they do not wish to buy.

Every single customer matters to Sky Poker, because it's a business. A good business perfects the balancing act of keeping the majority of it's Clients happy, & maximising the  return on shareholders funds. The latter is known as a "fidicuary duty", & is not a choice - that is why the business exists. The numbers suggest Sky Poker is ticking both those boxes, but it cannot please all of the people all of the time. Even the mighty 'Stars cannot do that!
  • edited February 2011

Well if you're looking to please the majoriy, charge £57.50 on £50 dyms, and £1.10 on £1 dyms.

Im sure more £1 games run than £50 games.

Theres probably only a pool of 30 regs max at the higher end of the dym scale, and hundreds of £1 and lower regs.

So is it really a case of trying to please the majority?? 

Or is it simply exploitation of the naivety of beginners, and poor players? - who will eventually come through and pay my wages. My motives for questioning the policy are obv entirely selfish ;)

Tempted to conclude this post by using the old "sky poker is doing alot of things right bla bla" - but there's no reason why they can't do everything right?

Man City will finish 4th this season, and it will be considered that they've done well. But having spent hundreds of millions, shouldn't they be doing even better???????

Sky poker can do a lot lot lot better.

• edited February 2011
    This subject seems always to take on a personal slant. Can Tikay comment without restriction ? - of course he can't, give the guy a break he works for the company. He can point out the facts true enough but that's probably as far as he can go without quickly updating and circulating his CV.

It's very simple, any company will charge the maximum they can realistically achieve from their customers. Fairness doen't come into it - it's not a charity. Good business is fully utilising capacity, minimising costs and maximising return. Sky are doing nothing different, so if you want the price to go down stop using the product - simples. We are all ''ripped off'' every day by scores of big companies who have made it an art form, at least with the rake it's there for all to see and choose to play or not.

While there are sufficient players paying the price it will not change.
  • edited February 2011
    Another point is the forward vision of the company. Is it to become the next stars? - I doubt it. Lots of very profitable companies exist in niche markets and they do that by exploiting their uniqueness to the full. Sky's has access to it's own TV station and the face to face and personal approach of the presenters. Maybe the forward vision is to have a relatively small poker site which attracts the cream of players playing high value, high quality poker that's good for TV.

You can join them, it will just cost you a little more in rake to do so at the lower levels.
  • edited February 2011
    Well if you're looking to please the majoriy, charge £57.50 on £50 dyms, and £1.10 on £1 dyms. Im sure more £1 games run than £50 games. Theres probably only a pool of 30 regs max at the higher end of the dym scale, and hundreds of £1 and lower regs. So is it really a case of trying to please the majority??  Or is it simply exploitation of the naivety of beginners, and poor players? - who will eventually come through and pay my wages. My motives for questioning the policy are obv entirely selfish ;) Tempted to conclude this post by using the old "sky poker is doing alot of things right bla bla" - but there's no reason why they can't do everything right? Man City will finish 4th this season, and it will be considered that they've done well. But having spent hundreds of millions, shouldn't they be doing even better??????? Sky poker can do a lot lot lot better.
    Posted by DOHHHHHHH
    Oh baby baby baby, yes yes yes. Sky Poker MUST & NEED to keep getting better, a LOT LOT better. All that is true, & I hope they or I have never denied that

It's also true that it IS getting better, bit by bit, week by week. Not fast enough better, we are all impatient souls, but nobody can deny it is improving.

Each time there is what is known as a "Scheduled Maintenance Outage", the sarcastic comments soon follow. But what do you think "Scheduled Maintenance Outage" really means? It means they are adding a bell or whistle, adding bits & pieces, tinkering with it to improve it. How frequent have those irritating Scheduled Site Maintenance Outages occurred recently? Weekly, more sometimes. Every time it happens, it's another little improvement being tested or implemented.

We don't need to have opinions on this - the facts tell the story. Online Poker, industry-wide, is in decline. Sky Poker's uniques* & MPU** are continuing to show huge year on year increases. This allows the Promotional spend to rise in line with the increased activity. It's why they are offering better Freerolls, better SPT, better structures, better TSP, better VLV, better Total Player, better 865 Guests, better Promotions,  da de da. 

* "Uniques" is a standard online industry term for the number of different individuals who visit the site each day. 

** "MPU" is a standard Online Industry term for Margin per Unique. Margin is the amount of fees generated by each player. 

If "uniques" & "MPU" are both heading north, the business is perfoming it's function. And it cannot do that unless the majority of it's customers are pleased with the Site, & it is adding - NET adding - new customers all the time. It is.

Low-Level DYM Reg Fees. Traffic at the lower limit DYM's is up year-on-year in line with the rest of the business. So why would the business reduce the fee? How much extra traffic would it need to generate to justify the reduction in fees?

If the reg fee on these were to be, say, halved, do you really think the effect would be to double the amount of them played? Because it would need to do that to justify it.

It is hard to say this without it coming across wrong, but the fact is, it's a business.

"....is it simply exploitation of the naivety of beginners, and poor players?....."

I'm note sure what that has to do with the price of eggs. It's nothing to do with "poor players", "naivety", or "exploitation". A product is offered at a certain price, with an added reg fee. That Reg Fee is CLEARLY shown.

To enter one, you....

Select it in the Lobby, where it says, say £0.60.  Alongside, to the right, it says "Buy-In, £0.50 + £0.10". Now you have to CLICK that bit.

Click "Register" & it says "Buy-In + Fee = £0.50 + £0.10". Now you have to CLICK again.

Is it being suggested people cannot read that? They choose to buy the product. They do not have to - one must assume they choose to. Or not. It's their choice. Nobody makes them CLICK. But they do, in ever increasing numbers,

Do we care about "lower buy-in players"?. Hell yes - read this Forum, or my PM's, FB Messages, TSP, (which ANY LEVEL PLAYER can get in to) - or watch Poker Clinic, Poker School, etc. I doubt (opinion, not fact) that ANY Online Site has a bigger % of "smaller buy-in" players than Sky Poker. Name me a Site where the "regular" nightly Main Event is as small as £22 or £33. Do 'Stars do "Poker School" & "Poker Clinic", or even have a Community? (Rh).

Finally, yes, I may, or may not, get in trouble upstairs, but if so, so be it, what is there to hide? All of the above (except where stated) is factual.

• edited February 2011
    Another point is the forward vision of the company. Is it to become the next stars? - I doubt it. Lots of very profitable companies exist in niche markets and they do that by exploiting their uniqueness to the full. Sky's has access to it's own TV station and the face to face and personal approach of the presenters. Maybe the forward vision is to have a relatively small poker site which attracts the cream of players playing high value, high quality poker that's good for TV. You can join them, it will just cost you a little more in rake to do so at the lower levels.
    Posted by elsadog
    Yes, a tall order to become "the next 'Stars", but then again, Sky Poker insist upon operating strictly within the law, & only in the domains it is licensed to, so that makes it a bit awkward, as they will not operate outside of their License juristiction.

I happen to be a tremendous admirer of that Company, & their approach to Excellence, so yes, I'd love to be as big as them, but it ain't gonna happen, so we need to be successful in other ways. "Believe in Better" says the little Trophy on my Desk, awarded to me by Head Office, because that's the Company Motto - Believe in better.

The 2nd part of your Post I have enboldened is not right, really, but does hint at the business model. The clue to that is at the top of this & every single page on any "Sky Betting & Gaming" site - those "insta-links" to other parts of the Site - Vegas, Bingo, Bet. The abilty to move around the different arms of the site easily & quickly, using a "Common Wallet", meaning cross-migration & cross-sell is easy-peasy, is the key. And that cuts both ways, it works for the Customers, & it works for the business.

It is a very complex business, & poker is like a gear cog within the whole thing. It serves other gear cogs, & they serve us, too. None of it works unless all of it works. The convo has now come a long way from the 10p Reg Fee on a 60p DYM, do you not think?  
  • edited February 2011
    Funny, or not, how the rake, registration fee, charging model pops up every fortnight or so.

If you were to walk into a supermarket and they charged one price for butter and one price for margarine then the buyer has the choice to purchase or not.  If people don't buy at the current price then the pricing model gets adjusted.  I can only assume enough players are happy with the current Sky Poker pricing model that they keep paying the price and playing.

I can't believe it's not better.
  • edited February 2011

Guys, quite frankly, the debate is boring.

Moaning is not getting anyone anywhere it just blocks the forum up with drivel.

The price is the price, take it or leave it is my stance.

If you feel that strongly vote with your feet!

• edited February 2011
    In Response to Re: sky poker fees : Yes, a tall order to become "the next 'Stars", but then again, Sky Poker insist upon operating strictly within the law, & only in the domains it is licensed to, so that makes it a bit awkward, as they will not operate outside of their License juristiction. I happen to be a tremendous admirer of that Company, & their approach to Excellence, so yes, I'd love to be as big as them, but it ain't gonna happen, so we need to be successful in other ways. "Believe in Better" says the little Trophy on my Desk, awarded to me by Head Office, because that's the Company Motto - Believe in better. The 2nd part of your Post I have enboldened is not right, really, but does hint at the business model. The clue to that is at the top of this & every single page on any "Sky Betting & Gaming" site - those "insta-links" to other parts of the Site - Vegas, Bingo, Bet. The abilty to move around the different arms of the site easily & quickly, using a "Common Wallet", meaning cross-migration & cross-sell is easy-peasy, is the key. And that cuts both ways, it works for the Customers, & it works for the business. It is a very complex business, & poker is like a gear cog within the whole thing. It serves other gear cogs, & they serve us, too. None of it works unless all of it works. The convo has now come a long way from the 10p Reg Fee on a 60p DYM, do you not think?  
    Posted by Tikay10

This was always going to happen.

Sky could cap their rake at 1.81 in cash games, and not 1 player would leave the site because of this - No1 would even notice.

It would increase profits massively.

If £5.50 dyms became £5.55 dyms - would less games run? I don't think so.

So why micro games?

Is it something to do with the actual cost of sky setting up and running a game? - Does it cost money for sky to run a sit and go? like it costs them 54p to run a sit n go, so they have to charge 10p rake on the 50p games to cover costs? Thus making 4p profit per game?

I am clueless with technology, but that's the only semi -reasonable justification.

• edited February 2011

Lol @ "I can't believe it's not better"!
  • edited February 2011
    In Response to Re: sky poker fees : Yes, a tall order to become "the next 'Stars", but then again, Sky Poker insist upon operating strictly within the law, & only in the domains it is licensed to, so that makes it a bit awkward, as they will not operate outside of their License juristiction. I happen to be a tremendous admirer of that Company, & their approach to Excellence, so yes, I'd love to be as big as them, but it ain't gonna happen, so we need to be successful in other ways. "Believe in Better" says the little Trophy on my Desk, awarded to me by Head Office, because that's the Company Motto - Believe in better. The 2nd part of your Post I have enboldened is not right, really, but does hint at the business model. The clue to that is at the top of this & every single page on any "Sky Betting & Gaming" site - those "insta-links" to other parts of the Site - Vegas, Bingo, Bet. The abilty to move around the different arms of the site easily & quickly, using a "Common Wallet", meaning cross-migration & cross-sell is easy-peasy, is the key. And that cuts both ways, it works for the Customers, & it works for the business. It is a very complex business, & poker is like a gear cog within the whole thing. It serves other gear cogs, & they serve us, too. None of it works unless all of it works. The convo has now come a long way from the 10p Reg Fee on a 60p DYM, do you not think?  
    Posted by Tikay10

I never thought it would be - just a bit of fun to get the bigger picture across.

btw if Sky use that now I will sue :o