You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Missing a trick or just got lucky????

edited February 2011 in Poker Chat
Hi guys,

A wee while ago I posted that I had set myself a challenge of taking a £1 stake and getting it up to £100.  I chose to do this through STT's with the occasional MTT. It took me around 2 weeks but I eventually did it.

I then put a £10 stake in and took about a week and a half to get it up to £100, playing the same sort of games 

Last night I put £20 in and by midnight I was up to £109.  This time round I decided I would just play Cash PLO.  I found that with proper table selection I was able to play the PLO Cash game at a comfortable level and get good results.

I have heard it said by many good players that Cash is where they make their money,  I have tried playing Cash No Limit Hold'em with little success.  The question I have is this.. 

Is it possible for a player to be a good PLO cash player but rubbish at Hold'em Cash?  

I had great fun, never felt out of my depth and honestly felt I was able to get a good read on the tables I played, something I've never felt in No Limit Hold'em.  Obviously it was just one session but I'm tempted to stick to it, I'm just a bit concerned that it was all just down to luck and I'd be better sticking to the slower grind of STT.

Anyway,I would appreciate any comments, advice, regarding the STT to Cash transfer and also the Hold'em to PLO change

Cheers  

Comments

• edited February 2011

Well TK is obviously a good PLO and PLO8 cash player - but he never plays NLHE cash, I'm not sure if that's because he isn't any good at it, but that may be 1 of the reasons?

It's deffo possible to be good at 1 and rubbish at the other, as they're 2 completely different games.

Greghogg is useless at both.

Also if I give you 1 pound, can you turn it into 100 for me?????

I will give you 50 quid if you can.
  • edited February 2011
    In Response to Re: Missing a trick or just got lucky????:
    Well TK is obviously a good PLO and PLO8 cash player - but he never plays NLHE cash, I'm not sure if that's because he isn't any good at it, but that may be 1 of the reasons? It's deffo possible to be good at 1 and rubbish at the other, as they're 2 completely different games. Greghogg is useless at both. Also if I give you 1 pound, can you turn it into 100 for me????? I will give you 50 quid if you can.
    Posted by DOHHHHHHH
     If you give me £100 I can easily turn it into £1 if you like.
  • edited February 2011
    In Response to Re: Missing a trick or just got lucky????:
    Well TK is obviously a good PLO and PLO8 cash player - but he never plays NLHE cash, I'm not sure if that's because he isn't any good at it, but that may be 1 of the reasons? It's deffo possible to be good at 1 and rubbish at the other, as they're 2 completely different games. Greghogg is useless at both. Also if I give you 1 pound, can you turn it into 100 for me????? I will give you 50 quid if you can.
    Posted by DOHHHHHHH

Somehow I don't think you have any problem turing £1 into £100 on your own Dohhhhh  ;o) 

• edited February 2011
    think it's very possible that you can be a good PLO and not such a good NLHE player. It's all in the thinking. PLO requires much more concentration and knowledge of where you're at every each street. PLO is much more likely to change the outcome after the turn and the river, just because you hold more cards. In PLO there are so many hands that could possibly be beating you that the good player won't make that crying call so often. In NLHE, 7th and 8th hand to the nuts would win a lot more than the same holding in PLO.