You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

low buy in tournies v freeroll?

edited February 2011 in Poker Chat
how do they compare?
i've done quite a few of the freerolls in order to "prepare" to some extent to having a go at tournies having concentrated on cash for the most.
If you can get past the initial free for all I tend to go quite deep and have cashed in a fair few even making the final table once. I do not rebuy.
I don't know if are comparable and if they are up to what sort of buy in - £2?

Any thoughts?
Thanks

Comments

• edited February 2011

Up to you, Mr Wales, but a pretty big "Freeroll Festival" will be starting on Sky Poker very shortly.....
  • edited February 2011
    They are not comparable im afraid, you get some players who will play the same but imo its totally different

if your looking to play low stakes, i suggests try the deepies but be aware they're people who will stack of with underpair & top pair which is a good thing but dont bluff early levels as your get called alot
  • edited February 2011
    In Response to low buy in tournies v freeroll?:
    how do they compare? i've done quite a few of the freerolls in order to "prepare" to some extent to having a go at tournies having concentrated on cash for the most. If you can get past the initial free for all I tend to go quite deep and have cashed in a fair few even making the final table once. I do not rebuy. I don't know if are comparable and if they are up to what sort of buy in - £2? Any thoughts? Thanks
    Posted by walesboy

Hi 'scotty'  :)

You have done the right thing IMO in playing these Freerolls to help you prepare for the proper tournaments. As you seem the sensible type of player who does not rebuy (good man), I suggest you look at some of the lower buy in deep stacks.( eg, 7.15pm DS @ £2.20.). I would also suggest you try some low cost sats into the bigger Tournaments (£1.05/£2.50 etc etc) which will only help to enhance your game and hopefully build up your BR to the larger games.

Best of luck at the tables! Go get em!
  • edited February 2011
    If you can master the art of bet sizing Walesboy, you will do very well in low stakes mtt's on sky imo.
  • edited February 2011
    In Response to Re: low buy in tournies v freeroll?:
    If you can master the art of bet sizing Walesboy, you will do very well in low stakes mtt's on sky imo.
    Posted by DOHHHHHHH
    LOL Dohhhhhh. I know!!!
    I'm doing post its for putting all round the screen and a BIG poster for the wall saying this!!
  • edited February 2011
    thanks for the responses guys
  • edited February 2011
    Have a try at the £1.10 'cheapstack's that are now running 5(?) night s a week at 7.45
  • edited February 2011
    I'd much rather spend my time in the low buy-in tourneys, the play is more enjoyable IMO and there aren't loads of away players. Also I know I'll win more money in the long run. I ignore the 4 daily freerolls, I'll only enter freerolls with the carrot of bigger prizes, Super 6, WPT mag, Santas Sack, things like that.

Saying that I like the freerolls being here and I hope they stay, there's no doubt in my mind that they're an ideal first step for new players thinking of coming over from playchip games. People who never deposit and only play freerolls will probably use any winnings to buy-in to other games, then lose it. So a fair bit of the prize money ends up being spread among the regs eventually even if they don't actually play in the freerolls themselves.
  • edited February 2011
    I'd much rather spend my time in the low buy-in tourneys, the play is more enjoyable IMO and there aren't loads of away players. Also I know I'll win more money in the long run. I ignore the 4 daily freerolls, I'll only enter freerolls with the carrot of bigger prizes, Super 6, WPT mag, Santas Sack, things like that. Saying that I like the freerolls being here and I hope they stay, there's no doubt in my mind that they're an ideal first step for new players thinking of coming over from playchip games. People who never deposit and only play freerolls will probably use any winnings to buy-in to other games, then lose it. So a fair bit of the prize money ends up being spread among the regs eventually even if they don't actually play in the freerolls themselves.
    Posted by GaryQQQ
    'But you still need poker points to enter the the majority of freerolls and once you have exhausted your original allocation of 500 points you will then need to play with real money to obtain more points'..........  

I hope I'm factually correct with the above statement, but I thought it's worth mentioning for the benefit of any new players on the site................ sorry to butt-in :)-..............Billy.

Ps; For any new players to poker it's so much better to play as many freerolls as possible first rather than risk losing your bankroll.  
  • edited February 2011

Details of a new Freeroll Fessie will be announced on Friday morning. It will start on Friday, too.
  • edited February 2011
    Details of a new Freeroll Fessie will be announced on Friday morning. It will start on Friday, too.
    Posted by Tikay10
    Thank you TK..............I'm out of points......I'd better start grinding quick.
  • edited February 2011
    my wife yidette9 cant access her sky account just now but she says ......

Hi walesboy. I find your thread very interesting and I do agree with YOUNG GUN and Maxally that the £2.20 deepies are a great place to start. A few of them to choose from each day, fab value for money giving LOOOOOOOOOADS of play. Even I (quite new to poker) have won the afternoon deepie 3 times now and cashed in several others!!!!

I do have a go at the freerolls and like yourself, never rebuy, I just tend to play these to work on the aggression in my game.

Check out the micro-satellites too, you can get a seat in the biggies for very little money and the play is serious poker cos everyone wants IN !!!

Regards
    Lorraine x