You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

my first hand in my first tourney on skypoker.

edited February 2011 in Poker Chat
blinds 10_20 i raise to 120 in early posision with AK and i get 2 callers. The flop comes 10.J.Q with 2 diamonds. I put in a half pot bet both players call. The turn brings a 9 and i bet half pot  again both players call. The river comes a diamond :i can't remember which one: so i bet 500 the player to my left raises to 1200 the other player reraises to 2700 i fold and other player calls. the player to my left shows a king high straight holding K9 the reraiser shows A flush holding A8 diamonds. How much should i bet to stop people calling with marginal hands and to stop people chassing straights and flushes?

Comments

• edited February 2011
    In Response to my first hand in my first tourney on skypoker.:
    blinds 10_20 i raise to 120 in early posision with AK and i get 2 callers. The flop comes 10.J.Q with 2 diamonds. I put in a half pot bet both players call. The turn brings a 9 and i bet half pot  again both players call. The river comes a diamond :i can't remember which one: so i bet 500 the player to my left raises to 1200 the other player reraises to 2700 i fold and other player calls. the player to my left shows a king high straight holding K9 the reraiser shows A flush holding A8 diamonds. How much should i bet to stop people calling with marginal hands and to stop people chassing straights and flushes?
    Posted by DO_OR_DIE
    sorry i should have said it was a deep stack with 5000 starting chips
  • edited February 2011

Hey, why do you want them to fold?

You should only want them to fold if you are bluffing.

Here you have the best possible hand, so I would be looking to bet bigger to win more....

3/4 of the pot against 1 player, closer to 90% of the pot against 2, half isn't enough.......
  • edited February 2011

Hi Die,

Really, you WANT them to chase straights & flushes, up to a point! If they miss on the end, you will have got nicely paid if you had bet every street properly. MOST times they miss.

I don't think you did too much wrong, really. Maybe 3/4 pot bets on flop & turn, rather than the weak lead (though that could be argued as good play if they had missed....) but in that Tourney, they were never folding anyway, & so if they miss, you get paid more.

Keep doing what you are doing, you'll be OK.

PS - Welcome to the Sky Poker Community. Enjoy.
  • edited February 2011

Dohh's said it better than me, but a word of advice which may help.

Try to challenge the nonsense that populates poker forums from time to time. I could probably find for you, on ANY poker Forum, a 1,000 Posts which say "they are all numptys, I can't beat these idiots who chase straights & flushes, I give up". 

Now invert that argument, or at least, think it through.

Yes, we DO want them to chase! They miss more times than they hit, & we all know that all calling stations go busto sooner rather than later.

Challenge what everyone says, think outside of the box, think for yourself. You'll be surprised at how profitable the harvest is.

YBA, trust me.
  • edited February 2011
    In Response to Re: my first hand in my first tourney on skypoker.:
    In Response to my first hand in my first tourney on skypoker. : sorry i should have said it was a deep stack with 5000 starting chips
    Posted by DO_OR_DIE
    u should of betted more on the turn when some 1 calls u on the flop its obvious 1 of them has a flush draw so betting a half pot on the turn ya pricing them in i woulda just shoved all in on the turn
  • edited February 2011
    Hey, why do you want them to fold? You should only want them to fold if you are bluffing. Here you have the best possible hand, so I would be looking to bet bigger to win more.... 3/4 of the pot against 1 player, closer to 90% of the pot against 2, half isn't enough.......
    Posted by DOHHHHHHH
     but why not shove on the turn that guy is betting half pot bet on the turn ya pricing them in just shove all in i think
  • edited February 2011
    Yes ^^^^^^^

To win a poker tournament you need all the chips in play.

You're never gonna get all the chips if people fold everything you have a good hand. 

But if they continue in the hand, there's always a slim chance that the turn and river cards will help them overtake you. 

This will happen 'occasionally', and theres no amount you can bet/nothing you can do to stop it - no matter how good you are, if people are calling, they're calling!

What you can do is accept this, and use it to your advantage on the times that they don't get fluke a better hand!

How? if you would have bet 3/4 of the pot on the flop, rather than half, you have already made more chips when they fold on the river.

Also, the pot is now bigger on the turn.....

Therefore your turn bet of 3/4 will be much bigger, as the pot is already bigger from your big flop bet....

So already you're starting to build the pot massively, just by tweaking your bet sizes slightly.

They call the turn? - ok they have a 20% chance of hitting the river, you have 80% chance of scooping the pot when they miss.

If you play solid hands like this, you will win alot more big pots than you lose, and will cash in plenty of tournaments.

Be prepared to lose though, it's really hard to win a poker tournament, no matter how good you are. I've been trying to win a biggie on here for 18 months now and not even finished in the top 3!! Don't let it get you down.

good luck.
  • edited February 2011
    In Response to Re: my first hand in my first tourney on skypoker. :  but why not shove on the turn that guy is betting half pot bet on the turn ya pricing them in just shove all in i think
    Posted by IDONKCALLU
    The guy is a newbie, I don't think over-jammin the nuts is something you wanna get into the habit of doing, you're gonna lose too much value if you do it everytime, so probably best he learns the basics, then goes on to identify when and when not to under/overbet.
  • edited February 2011
    In Response to Re: my first hand in my first tourney on skypoker. : The guy is a newbie, I don't think over-jammin the nuts is something you wanna get into the habit of doing, you're gonna lose too much value if you do it everytime, so probably best he learns the basics, then goes on to identify when and when not to under/overbet.
    Posted by DOHHHHHHH
    Ty for your advice all the info helps. I'll make a finale table within a week lol ( i hope ). see you on the tables and gl.