You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

AQ on button, showing signs of improvement or missing out on value?

edited February 2011 in The Poker Clinic
Ok - This hand is pretty similar to the one Sky Dave got and i was thinking alot of what people mentioned in that thread when playing it.

I decided just to flat the C/O raise with posision with the AQ. And obviously i flop the Ace with 2 hearts, the turn pairs the board competing the flush draw - should i bet here?

The river the flop donk better leads again and i feel i have showdown value so a flat was best rather than going crazy when any two hearts are beating me, AK and any 9 as well as houses.

Also to state this was pretty early in an MTT so no reads.

So opinions please. 

Game #57807822150: Tournament #407010254, $1.00+$0.10 USD Hold'em No Limit - Level I (10/20) - 2011/02/17 12:01:37 WET [2011/02/17 7:01:37 ET]
Table '407010254 77' 9-max Seat #2 is the button
Seat 1: radikish (3430 in chips)
Seat 2: the_donscott (2990 in chips)
Seat 3: mojosplace (2900 in chips)
Seat 4: 13Pirate (3000 in chips)
Seat 5: Jonwad1 (2980 in chips)
Seat 6: pato.pandek (3000 in chips)
Seat 7: hryger1 (3000 in chips)
Seat 8: salam2011 (2700 in chips)
Seat 9: Bolivarov (3000 in chips)
mojosplace: posts small blind 10
13Pirate: posts big blind 20
*** HOLE CARDS ***
Dealt to the_donscott [Qc Ad]
Jonwad1: calls 20
pato.pandek: folds
hryger1: folds
salam2011: folds
Bolivarov: calls 20
radikish: raises 80 to 100
the_donscott: calls 100
mojosplace: calls 90
13Pirate: folds
Jonwad1: calls 80
Bolivarov: calls 80
*** FLOP *** [2h Ah 9d]
mojosplace: bets 180
Jonwad1: folds
Bolivarov: folds
radikish: calls 180
the_donscott: calls 180
*** TURN *** [2h Ah 9d] [9h]
mojosplace: checks
radikish: checks
the_donscott: checks
*** RIVER *** [2h Ah 9d 9h] [5s]
mojosplace: bets 180
radikish: calls 180
the_donscott: calls 180
*** SHOW DOWN ***
mojosplace: shows [Js As] (two pair, Aces and Nines)
radikish: mucks hand
the_donscott: shows [Qc Ad] (two pair, Aces and Nines - Queen kicker)
the_donscott collected 1600 from pot
*** SUMMARY ***
Total pot 1600 | Rake 0
Board [2h Ah 9d 9h 5s]
Seat 1: radikish mucked [7h 7d]
Seat 2: the_donscott (button) showed [Qc Ad] and won (1600) with two pair, Aces and Nines
Seat 3: mojosplace (small blind) showed [Js As] and lost with two pair, Aces and Nines
Seat 4: 13Pirate (big blind) folded before Flop
Seat 5: Jonwad1 folded on the Flop
Seat 6: pato.pandek folded before Flop (didn't bet)
Seat 7: hryger1 folded before Flop (didn't bet)
Seat 8: salam2011 folded before Flop (didn't bet)
Seat 9: Bolivarov folded on the Flop

Comments

• edited February 2011
    Pre- Fine
    Flop i would re-raise 420, dont like flatting with the flush draw
    If we get called on the flop and heart comes down i would shutdown, either check/call or check/fold depending on reads etc

As played you have to call the river

• edited February 2011
    In Response to Re: AQ on button, showing signs of improvement or missing out on value?:
    Pre- Fine Flop i would re-raise 420, dont like flatting with the flush draw If we get called on the flop and heart comes down i would shutdown, either check/call or check/fold depending on reads etc As played you have to call the river
    Posted by YOUNG_GUN
    umm check/calling and check/folding out of the question im last to act mate.
  • edited February 2011
    In Response to Re: AQ on button, showing signs of improvement or missing out on value?:
    In Response to Re: AQ on button, showing signs of improvement or missing out on value? : umm check/calling and check/folding out of the question im last to act mate.
    Posted by The_Don90

yeah durrrrrr lol i mean checking and re-assess if they bet and how strong you think they are, but basically i would defo re-raise that flop
  • edited February 2011
    Preflop is perfect, you have position and get to see what they're doing. AQ isn't a hand to start 3-betting early in position in my opinion, it's only ever getting you in trouble.

Top pair with a flush draw on flop, definitely raise there. Your kicker is solid, and if you're scared of 2 pair/AK, stop playing tourneys. 1 bet, 1 call, I wouldn't ever be worried about being behind here. Raising there makes the hand play out very differently.

Turn is an ugly card, the checks are a little offputting. But if you've reraised the flop, you now have the initiative. Based on the preflop and flop betting I think you can exclude the first guy having a 9 or flush (unless you're really unlucky and he has A9). The second guy is the one who scares me most now, because he probably calls on the draw or with second pair, and the turn hits both. If you reraise the flop, you probably get rid of him. As played, I'd have to check and assess the river.

Obviously you have to call river for that bet. But all your problems of not knowing where you are stem from not raising the flop- there's times to raise and 'ask the question', and there's times to pot control. Here, with obvious draws out, is the time to get some money in and find out where you are- if he reraises, you fold and accept he probably has you beat. If he folds, happy days. If he flats, you know you're probably ahead, and you still have the initiative on later streets.
  • edited February 2011
    with it being a small donk bet and pfr flat calls would be raising flop also to ~700ish if the guy who leads out then jams on us i would fold, if the pfr jams on us id be calling, jam blank turns
  • edited February 2011
    with it being a small donk bet and pfr flat calls would be raising flop also to ~700ish if the guy who leads out then jams on us i would fold, if the pfr jams on us id be calling, jam blank turns
    Posted by LOL_RAISE
    Thanks mate these are the things im unsure of with advice given in the clinic sometimes so this clarifies a few different situations.