You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

any good poker books on tournament play

edited February 2011 in Poker Chat
hi can anyone  recamend a good book on nl holdem tournament play.Any help would be great

Comments

• edited February 2011
    Hi Lurcha,

It depends on what kind of level you're at right now, to be honest. The one series I've always rated is 'Harrington on Holdem'. Might not be the best read for a newbie but if you've been on the tables for a bit and understand the basics (position, trap hands, bet sizes, etc), those could be a good set of books to look through.

Also worth considering if you're a little less confident in your game would be 'Little Green Book' by Phil Gordon. He gets a bit of stick as a player but some of the advice he gives in there is pretty decent.

Good luck!
  • edited February 2011
    I read the Harrington On Holdem books.

I love how they give you examples of hands and asks what you would do, then he explains what the best way to play them is.

Well worth a read.
  • edited February 2011
    As mentioned already the 3 Harrington on Hold 'em books are an excellent place to start, I read them when I first started playing MTTs, they definitely improved my game.

When I went off on my walk I didn't play any poker for 7 weeks, but I took Winning Poker Tournaments One Hand at a Time (2 books; Volume I and Volume II) by Eric Lynch, Jon Van Fleet, Jon Turner, and Matthew Hilger in my my rucksack and read them several times over. I recommend them highly, if you look at my sharkscope graph you can easily see the exact moment I started playing again; my results went through the roof. They are a bit more advanced and up-to-date than the Harrington books.

At the moment I'm reading Kill Everyone: Advanced Strategies for No-Limit Hold 'Em Poker Tournaments and Sit-n-Gos by Lee Nelson and Tysen Streib. This book is quite advanced and contains a lot of maths, but I like that, I'm very impressed so far.

To get the most out of any of these books you need to read the most useful sections several times over.

In my opinion anybody serious about improving their game should spend at least 25% of their poker time away from the tables studying books, videos, internet forums and reviewing key hand histories.
  • edited February 2011
    In Response to Re: any good poker books on tournament play:
    As mentioned already the 3  Harrington on Hold 'em books are an excellent place to start, I read them when I first started playing MTTs, they definitely improved my game.   When I went off on my walk I didn't play any poker for 7 weeks, but I took  Winning Poker Tournaments One Hand at a Time (2 books; Volume I and Volume II) by Eric Lynch, Jon Van Fleet, Jon Turner, and Matthew Hilger in my my rucksack and read them several times over. I recommend them highly, if you look at my sharkscope graph you can easily see the exact moment I started playing again; my results went through the roof. They are a bit more advanced and up-to-date than the Harrington books. At the moment I'm reading Kill Everyone: Advanced Strategies for No-Limit Hold 'Em Poker Tournaments and Sit-n-Gos by Lee Nelson and Tysen Streib. This book is quite advanced and contains a lot of maths, but I like that, I'm very impressed so far. To get the most out of any of these books you need to read the most useful sections several times over.   In my opinion anybody serious about improving their game should spend at least 25% of their poker time away from the tables studying books, videos, internet forums and reviewing key hand histories.
    Posted by GaryQQQ
    This is going on my wall. I can't bring myself to do the reading at the moment (esp re-reading bits!!!!) but I'm going to try harder now.