You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

flush vs straight

edited February 2011 in Poker Chat
Does anyone know the odds of hitting a flush compared
to hitting a str8.
Years ago we usrd to play poker in the pub,games like brag
poker,stud and a game called toad and we always had a str8
beating a flush.
It just seems to me that its easier to hit a flush,i'm probably
wrong though.
We also had a str8 A-5 as the top str8 beating even 10-A,that
seems really weird now having played hold-em for so long,did
anyone else do this?

thx

Comments

• edited February 2011
    The odds post flop are better for hitting the flush draw but the rank of hands is determined by how many possibilities for each hand exist in a 52-card deck.

There are 5,108 possible flushes, and 10,200 possible straights. A flush is harder to get, and that’s why it ranks higher.

list showing each hand, and the number of possibilities:

Royal Flush: 4
    Other Straight Flush: 36
    Four of a Kind: 624
    Full House: 3,744
    Flush: 5,108
    Straight: 10,200
    Three of a Kind: 54,912
    Two Pair: 123,552
    One Pair: 1,098,240
    Nothing: 1,302,540

I nicked the figures from another site so they could be wrong but the principles right :)

• edited February 2011
    im not sure about a number of games your talking about but i know in brag a flush is beaten by a straight. As brag is a 3 card game id imagine that changes odds tho
  • edited February 2011
    In Response to Re: flush vs straight:
    The odds post flop are better for hitting the flush draw but the rank of hands is determined by how many possibilities for each hand exist in a 52-card deck. There are 5,108 possible flushes, and 10,200 possible straights. A flush is harder to get, and that’s why it ranks higher. list showing each hand, and the number of possibilities: Royal Flush: 4 Other Straight Flush: 36 Four of a Kind: 624 Full House: 3,744 Flush: 5,108 Straight: 10,200 Three of a Kind: 54,912 Two Pair: 123,552 One Pair: 1,098,240 Nothing: 1,302,540 I nicked the figures from another site so they could be wrong but the principles right :)
    Posted by RedHouse
    ok cheers redhouse,that clears it up a bit.