You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

People sitting on all the big cash tables and not playing each other.

edited February 2011 in Poker Chat
Why the hell do 2-3 players sit on all the big cash tables on there own instead of sitting with other people who are sitting on there own, and have a game........... Maaaaaaad

Comments

• edited February 2011

Not mad, really, wanna, "Table Selection" is extremely important if you want to win at the Cash Games.

All competent players do it, or should.
  • edited February 2011
    big fish eat little fish, they struggle eating fish the same size as themselves
  • edited February 2011
    What ever you do Wanna dont go and sit at those tables :)
  • edited February 2011
  • edited February 2011
    In Response to Re: People sitting on all the big cash tables and not playing each other.:
    In Response to Re: People sitting on all the big cash tables and not playing each other. :    incorrect ,sometimes they just chew07 up ,then spit them back out :)
    Posted by TENOFSPADE
    FYP
  • edited February 2011
    In Response to Re: People sitting on all the big cash tables and not playing each other.:
    In Response to Re: People sitting on all the big cash tables and not playing each other. :    incorrect ,sometimes they just chew ,then spit them back out :)
    Posted by TENOFSPADE

The old ones are the best ones :)
  • edited February 2011

something i posted in december (sorry if you've read it before) ...

isn't there an amazing similarity between the Red Light District in Amsterdam and the high stakes cash tables where single players are just waiting for passing punters?  You can almost hear them tap on the windows.

wander around just looking..  thinking no way... but friendly smiles beckon you ... you check your money and enter, putting your chips down ... sit down wanting to sit on your hands,.. should really just sit and go ... the action starts ...  you get checked almost immediately  ... after a couple of hands you see a pair.. you raise ...  the response is to put you all in.  you exit after two minutes with £50 less...  premature speculation.  

• edited February 2011
    something i posted in december (sorry if you've read it before) ... isn't there an amazing similarity between the Red Light District in Amsterdam and the high stakes cash tables where single players are just waiting for passing punters?  You can almost hear them tap on the windows. wander around just looking..  thinking no way... but friendly smiles beckon you ... you check your money and enter, putting your chips down ... sit down wanting to sit on your hands,.. should really just sit and go ... the action starts ...  you get checked almost immediately  ... after a couple of hands you see a pair.. you raise ...  the response is to put you all in.  you exit after two minutes with £50 less...  premature speculation.        
    Posted by aussie09
    lol   lol
  • edited February 2011
    Not mad, really, wanna, "Table Selection" is extremely important if you want to win at the Cash Games. All competent players do it, or should.
    Posted by tikay1
    Hi Tikay, 

You'll have to explain how sitting by yourself at a table waiting for random player(s) to sit down & play you is "Table Selection" - Could these random players not be using "Table Selection" to more effect?

All the best, Sherlock
  • edited February 2011
    There two type of players high stakes, Pros and recreational depositing players. You need a big edge in poker to make money as you have to not just beat the player but beat them by a good margin because of the rake. So playing another pro even if you have a small edge over them is no good. So they sit on a heads up tables waitin for a rich guy who was just watching his tv saw a advert for sky poker and thought i will have a game. He then goes and deposits a grand (as he wants a meaningful game for his financial position). He then sits with one of them and 9 times out of ten loses it.

Why do they sit heads up you ask?

Cos they are greedy and dont wanna share the grand with anyone else. Simple

Do I do it?

Yes occasionaly, I just cant be bothered waiting all day so for a suitable player. So I normally just play 1/2 6 max.
  • edited February 2011
    something i posted in december (sorry if you've read it before) ... isn't there an amazing similarity between the Red Light District in Amsterdam and the high stakes cash tables where single players are just waiting for passing punters?  You can almost hear them tap on the windows. wander around just looking..  thinking no way... but friendly smiles beckon you ... you check your money and enter, putting your chips down ... sit down wanting to sit on your hands,.. should really just sit and go ... the action starts ...  you get checked almost immediately  ... after a couple of hands you see a pair.. you raise ...  the response is to put you all in.  you exit after two minutes with £50 less...  premature speculation.        
    Posted by aussie09

First Class Post lol
  • edited February 2011
    In Response to Re: People sitting on all the big cash tables and not playing each other. : Hi Tikay,  You'll have to explain how sitting by yourself at a table waiting for random player(s) to sit down & play you is "Table Selection" - Could these random players not be using "Table Selection" to more effect? All the best, Sherlock
    Posted by Sherlock
    I think AJS has answered that, fully & with great clarity. "THIS", as they say.

Mr AJS will be on tonight's Live TV Show, by the way. I think he'll be very well received. He is a strong advocate of simple common-sense. 
  • edited February 2011

• edited February 2011
    In Response to Re: People sitting on all the big cash tables and not playing each other. : I think AJS has answered that, fully & with great clarity. "THIS", as they say. Mr AJS will be on tonight's Live TV Show, by the way. I think he'll be very well received. He is a strong advocate of simple common-sense. 
    Posted by Tikay10
    Hi Tikay

How does the one(s) sitting & waiting know the fella who DECIDES to sit down isn't a pro? It's random to the one sitting there waiting & not random to the one who CHOOSES to sit & play.

All the best, Sherlock
  • edited February 2011
    Sky has very few high stakes players Sherlock and hence when an "unknown" does sit then thats normally a very good spot.

Predatory. yes, but essential for the HU pros.

I am a little similar to AJS in that I'm not one to wait around all day for someone to sit and hence would much rather play the biggest ring games that are running...
  • edited February 2011
    In Response to Re: People sitting on all the big cash tables and not playing each other. : Hi Tikay How does the one(s) sitting & waiting know the fella who  DECIDES  to sit down isn't a pro? It's random to the one sitting there waiting & not random to the one who CHOOSES to sit & play. All the best, Sherlock
    Posted by Sherlock
    The pro will know within 10 hands whether the opponent is any good or not
  • edited February 2011

A couple of weeks ago I sat at a hu table, elrupert arrived with a full stack. I didnt recognise the name so I started to play, I played 8 hands with him.

I typed no ty in the chat box, he called me a nit, I lol'd, he said gl. end of match.

• edited February 2011
    A couple of weeks ago I sat at a hu table, elrupert arrived with a full stack. I didnt recognise the name so I started to play, I played 8 hands with him. I typed no ty in the chat box, he called me a nit, I lol'd, he said gl. end of match.
    Posted by ajs4385

Good read Rupert.
  • edited February 2011
    A couple of weeks ago I sat at a hu table, elrupert arrived with a full stack. I didnt recognise the name so I started to play, I played 8 hands with him. I typed no ty in the chat box, he called me a nit, I lol'd, he said gl. end of match.
    Posted by ajs4385
    I wasn't so smart and proceeded to get raped for 3 buyins. Quite a player. Hopefully he gets bored and goes back to iPoker or whereever he came from :P