You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

The Key(s) to Success! ***OFFICIAL LIVE PRIMO-WITH-SPECIAL-GUEST-STAR THREAD***

edited February 2011 in Poker Chat
Is it Sunday again already?

Then it must be Primo!

It's Sky Poker's premiere weekly tournament - costing £55 to enter and starting at 8pm.  You can follow the action on channel 865 from 9pm.  It should be a great show tonight, as Ed and I will be joined in the studio by British pro James Keys.

James was at the final table of the first ever World Series of Poker Europe main event in 2007 (eventually finishing 9th for £61,500).  He's since cashed four times at the WSOP in Las Vegas, has taken down the £300 DTD Deepstack for nearly £30,000 and, last month, came second in the Aussie Millions main event for more than $1,000,000.  Nice!

He'll be analysing your play in the Primo and will be assigned temporary surgical status to help deal with some difficult dilemmas in The Poker Clinic.  Plus, James will happily answer your poker-related questions.  Clearly, when it comes to tournaments, he knows his onions.  So, this is your opportunity to receive some strategic hints and tips.

Please post your questions for James in this thread, or e-mail skyopen@bskyb.com

Comments

• edited February 2011
    has james won many shows with his onions,and does he sacrifice the size of his bulbs,to the qaulity of the taste
  • edited February 2011
    question. 

when you go deep in a live tournament (when the blinds are relatively big) how do you cope when you are completely card dead? do you just sit patiently and hope you pick up a hand soon, or look to pick a spot to maybe try and steal the blinds and antes to prevent yourself from being eaten away at. its happened to me on multiple occasions and frustration starts to set in. any tips on how to cope with it would be greatly appreciated.

cheers.

Hurst05
  • edited February 2011
    oh well guess i`m watching instead off playin, so close yet so far in sat for semi what makes it worse i even bubbled for the cash. have a good show
  • edited February 2011
    my hubby is in the viva las vegas final, and i'm trying to get there too, being spured on by sue (kidgirlgy) so any advice on that would be great, am a new player and i play very tight, oh and guys tonight viva las vegas semi is gonna be a big one, Sue and her hubby are battling to win a seat to the final, my hope is, seat for all 3 of us, assuming i get to the semi, fingers crossed xxx
  • edited February 2011
    In Response to Re: The Key(s) to Success! ***OFFICIAL LIVE PRIMO-WITH-SPECIAL-GUEST-STAR THREAD***:
    has james won many shows with his onions,and does he sacrifice the size of his bulbs,to the qaulity of the taste
    Posted by thejudge10
    What's that noise I hear...?  Is it the sound of tumbleweed blowing across the dusty ground...? ;-)
  • edited February 2011
    In Response to Re: The Key(s) to Success! ***OFFICIAL LIVE PRIMO-WITH-SPECIAL-GUEST-STAR THREAD***:
    my hubby is in the viva las vegas final, and i'm trying to get there too, being spured on by sue (kidgirlgy) so any advice on that would be great, am a new player and i play very tight, oh and guys tonight viva las vegas semi is gonna be a big one, Sue and her hubby are battling to win a seat to the final, my hope is, seat for all 3 of us, assuming i get to the semi, fingers crossed xxx
    Posted by NFEENEY
    gl gl gl!!!
  • edited February 2011
    In Response to Re: The Key(s) to Success! ***OFFICIAL LIVE PRIMO-WITH-SPECIAL-GUEST-STAR THREAD*** : What's that noise I hear...?  Is it the sound of tumbleweed blowing across the dusty ground...? ;-)
    Posted by J-Hartigan
    If you have tumbleweeds your obviously not watering enough:))
  • edited February 2011
    Apologies for spamming in my own thread, but...

Tomorrow is Week 3 of the All-Rounders' League.

Don't know what I'm talking about?  Read THIS.

Want to register for tomorrow night's tournament?  Do it HERE.

Right, back on topic!  More questions for James Keys, please...

• edited February 2011
    James what would you say is the difference between a top class tournament player and a top class cash player.
  • edited February 2011
    Perhaps James might like to give his views on the question posed by Maggiesdad on a separate thread on here? .....STUDYING POKER ACTUALLY MAKES YOU WORSE

It seems to have generated a lively discussion with opposing views !
  • edited February 2011
    Question for James.

When you think you've got a read on an opponent but you're not 100% sure if your read is correct, is it worth trying a certain move on him to test the read out ?

• edited February 2011
    Thanks for your questions so far.  Good stuff!

Here's another challenge...

We'd like to start the show with a really interesting hand for Ed & James K to analyse; something our experts can really get their teeth into.

So, if you'd like to share a hero call, cautious laydown, or difficult decision from the first three levels, please post the Hand ID ASAP!
  • edited February 2011
    this was in a deepstack i put up - you know but can`t hand id

Hand History #343212986

what would they do

edit my head said call my gut said fold do you with head or gut when playing these type off hands
  • edited February 2011
    or this one 5th hand into start what would you do ??

Hand History #342824722

• edited February 2011

Evening Guys,

The mensa team tonight, well now James K has arrived.

Did James know there are  368 people named James Keys in America.,  19 (8.1%) earn above $100,001 and none of them pay poker.

My question is:

When interviewed James always admits to playing low pot poker  - Is this true?

Dave AKA Kidgrimsby.

• edited February 2011
    im in tonight,so hopin for a good run,any advice along the way would be apprecaited
  • edited February 2011
    Hi all, could you look at this one!

Hand History #343926883Should i even think about the call here?? I did, because I couldn't work out what ace he would have that he'd limp with after the original caller and then call my decent raise..couldn't help but think he had a hand like QJd!

Also, can you make the flop stop coming Ace high when I have kings? :-)
  • edited February 2011
    Hello there, please congratulate James on a very good result. He must have played well.

I have one question, why if he was going to do so well did he sell pieces of himself? Wasn't that a tad silly.....

:P lol
  • edited February 2011
    also a part sensible question, what price markups on peices for the WSOP ME do you think is fair relative to skill level?  Is there anyone you'd buy a piece of for 1.5+?

and what bankroll would be required for a reasonably cautious shot at the WSOP ME? is it better to have a BR for sats or just play lots of the smaller buyins etc?

xx
  • edited February 2011
    Apologies for spamming in my own thread, but... Tomorrow is Week 3 of the All-Rounders' League. Don't know what I'm talking about?  Read THIS . Want to register for tomorrow night's tournament?  Do it HERE . Right, back on topic!  More questions for James Keys, please...
    Posted by J-Hartigan

This is a great league (more so as I am currently second)

Unfortunately I am out playing live tomorrow night so will miss the rebuy (my worst element!)

Question for James

Can you give me a top hot tip for tomorrow night's £15 freezeout + bounty tournament 10k chips 24 min clock, whats my main focus to win it!!

Dave
  • edited February 2011
    hi guys is it possible to show this hand?? just wandering if i made the right fold... i know this time it was a good fold but is it the right fold over a period of time?? is it a - ev fold or should i have called??

343956882!!!!
  • edited February 2011
    This is the sort of hand I hate playing early stages of a tournament- any advice on how you'd play this? Had to raise preflop ofc, but then postflop is where I get in trouble often when I miss- I always convince myself if they had top pair they'd raise, and proceed to triple barrel bluff 75% of my stack, to find they have top pair or can't fold second pair. Thoughts?

• edited February 2011
    lol cracking story gidzo, such a lie :P have a good one
  • edited February 2011
    Interesting thoughts guys- what I'm curious is, at what point in early stages (where standards are really bad, and most players are unlikely to let go of any pair and you don't know who's good and who's bad) do you give up and chalk it up as a missed bluff? It's a very deep structure, and obviously patience is important, so how willing are you normally to continue to bluff unknowns? The point on confidence is a good one, and a lot of my early moves have been running into hands lately and could be affecting me slightly, but I see it currently as trying to fix a leak in my early game by bluffing too much, and trying to tighten up. Do you stop as soon as you miss the flop, or do you fire 1/2/3 barrels out of position?

Later on, I have no problems attempting these bluffs, and if I run into made hands it's no bother really- these things happen and you have to deal with it, the structures aren't deep enough at that stage to get too fancy.
  • edited February 2011
    How many Eggs can you put into an empty basket?
    Posted by JDBieber
    Depends how big your basket is :)
  • edited February 2011
    is it me or not ? does james keys look like james hartigan, is j keys - j hartigan oldest son ?
  • edited February 2011
    In Response to Re: The Key(s) to Success! ***OFFICIAL LIVE PRIMO-WITH-SPECIAL-GUEST-STAR THREAD*** : Depends how big your basket is :)
    Posted by Sky_Claire
    And how big your eggs are :)
  • edited February 2011
    In Response to Re: The Key(s) to Success! ***OFFICIAL LIVE PRIMO-WITH-SPECIAL-GUEST-STAR THREAD*** : Depends how big your basket is :)
    Posted by Sky_Claire
    Huge!
  • edited February 2011
    Hi James & Ed, I would be interested in your thoughts on the thoughts in the thread "Studying poker actually makes you worse.....discuss"

Cheers, Mike (Maggiesdad)
  • edited February 2011
    Good grief...... 6th in chips......  3bet the table clown with TT and he shoves...... I instacall and he ofc flips over A9o.... he had like 6-7k chips lolol.  How do some people manage to dress themselves in the morning?
    Very next hand i wake up with QQ and 3k chips left or so....... Ofc i'm up against AA..... GG Primo.

I'm still staring agape at the A9o play....... Feel free to show it on TV and lol in my direction

:(