You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Middle to late stages of tournaments

edited February 2011 in The Poker Clinic
Hi All,

Played a couple of live tournies lately, and keep getting stuck in the middle to late stages, where my well above average chipstack drops to below average within a couple of hands, and I am then in shove or fold mode.

These are £20-£50 tournies, with approx 40-50 runners. Below are two hands in particular where I could do with some advice:

My chipstack is approx 80,000, with blinds at 1.5k-3k, loose aggressive chip leader raises under the gun 2.5bb's, and then tight aggressive player shoves in cut off for £35k, I have AQ. Is there ever any reason for me to call this or am i Gambling too much of my stack on what is likely to be a race? Guy utg folded, so didnt get to sit the all in cards.

Second hand,

Im sat on the button with pocket 7's, with 75k, and call a utg raise for 12k (3bb's), the tight passive big blind flat calls the raise too. Flop comes 558, and is checked round to me, so I bet 18k, and after a dwell up the bb raises all in for 43k, initial raiser folds who obv had overcards, and I fold - the bb shows pocket 9's so was a good fold.

However my q is, should I have called/folded/3 bet pre flop against a tight table, and was I right to bet the flop, it meant that I lost 30k out of my 75k stack.

any thoughts would be much appreciated...

Comments

• edited February 2011
    in hand 1) I am calling with AQ...

my reasons,chip stack( i still have 10 bbs if i lose) and cutoff is pushing with a very wide range..with 11 bb 
     also the chips if won would give me a better chance of winning,

in hand 2)  i usually throw middle pocket pairs away to any raise at this stage of the tournement as he has put 12k into the pot thats 15% of your stack...there are not many kind flops for 77 three way,so dump pairs under 1010 id say...

toby
  • edited February 2011
    Toby... thanks, much appreciated - so basically i made the wrong decision in both hands! I think ur prob right tho, maybe thats y I ended up going out shortly after and not cashing!
  • edited February 2011
    I think the fold with AQ is fine.

I think shove or fold the 7's depending on how active the raiser has been.

• edited February 2011
    First spot...
    Think its probably a good fold. Calling not an option as you need the LAG out of there. Depends on your read on the other player. Is he good enough to shove with a marginal hand to pick up the blinds and the loose players raise?  With his stack of 10/11 BBs he would have to see it as a viable move. If he had the hands you really fear AA KK QQ AK, would he have shoved there ? With the relative chipstacks I would have been reasonably happy to take a race. Shoving or folding would not be wrong.

Second spot...
    I hate your flat call with middle pair preflop ! Its far too deep in a tourny to go set mining. What sort of flop were you looking for ? Its fold or raise, and it depends on how aggressive you are. I would be putting 36k in there and would suggest that it would have got through preflop. Having called and ended up 3 handed, the flop was about as good as it could be without a 7 in it, and I would have been confident I was ahead. (Wrongly lol !)

Your 18k bet from the button into that size pot from the button looks weak and got what it deserved. It was shove or nothing, but having limped preflop it was doubtful whether you could have convinced even a tight passive player you had a big PP, but he may not have risked his tourny on the chance you had a 5 or even 67 for the draw.

• edited February 2011
    In Response to Re: Middle to late stages of tournaments:
    Toby... thanks, much appreciated - so basically i made the wrong decision in both hands! I think ur prob right tho, maybe thats y I ended up going out shortly after and not cashing!
    Posted by jiggy40

just for next time,put in how many runners are left...

but middle to late stage is in my opinion,the hardest part of a tournement to play successfully,

and at some point you have to take a gamble to gain enough chips to win the tournement....

but, at the end of the day, you should have a feel for the table after a few rounds of blinds,

and use your own judgement for each situation.
  • edited February 2011
    I think the AQ fold is fine as long as you have the read that you do on your opponent, however to get to the final table of MTT's with a chance of winning you should be looking to accumalate chips when the opportunity arises. At this stage even looser players with attempt to steal blinds etc as they are worth stealing so if you pick your spots right and read you table well you will get big cashes.
     The 77 hand seems to be a good fold aswell as you were clearly up against a tight player on the BB so once you get your info and he re raises all in its the right move for that situation to fold.