You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

What to do with 2nd Pair

edited February 2011 in The Poker Clinic
Hi guys I wonder if you could help me out with a weakness in my game.

Whether to check or bet with 2nd pair?

I know this will depend on the setup, so here's an example. Blinds 300/600, we both have 15,000 chips

I'm on big blind with QT, the cutoff raises to 1800, he's an aggressive player and been taking blinds so I call.

Board shows rainbow flop KT3. The pot is now 3900, should I check or bet? How big should the bet be? If I bet and he calls, how should I act? If he min raises how should I act? If I bet less than 2/3 pot would he smell weakness?

This is an area of my game that I fall down on, so any feedback would be greatly appreciated. I know if I check he is likely to bet into me.

Many thanks, Graham (STAYORGO)

Comments

• edited February 2011
    This depends alot, are you button, SB or BB?

if your SB or BB you should either be 3-betting or folding pre imo too. Button you can call and take a flop.

Now if ive called OOP im check calling to see the turn, if im the button and he checks im betting 100% of the time.

The reason why i dont donk bet the flop is because a donk bet screems ive got second pair or a draw. This makes it easy for your opponent to raise light or float to turn when i rekon 90% of players will check and he bets and you have to fold.

There fore OOP its either best to check/call or check raise.
  • edited February 2011
    Every situation vaires, player/blinds/position/stage of tournament etc etc...

In this situation I would take a gamble, the key is you said he is very aggro and tries to steal the blinds alot. I would smooth call pre like you did as I don't want to get into a battle with Q10. Once you hit the flop vs 1 oppo and only 1 over there is a good chance your ahead. I would check / raise shove. Like I said its a gamble as your only being called by a better hand, but if his raising range is that wide then just cos he bets pre and Cbets doesn't mean he has to have a hand.

Taking this hand down this way your probs making 5k chips which is an extra 1/3 of your stack. Thats how I play at the buisness end of MTT's anyway....
  • edited February 2011
    In Response to Re: What to do with 2nd Pair:
    Every situation vaires, player/blinds/position/stage of tournament etc etc... In this situation I would take a gamble, the key is you said he is very aggro and tries to steal the blinds alot. I would smooth call pre like you did as I don't want to get into a battle with Q10. Once you hit the flop vs 1 oppo and only 1 over there is a good chance your ahead. I would check / raise shove. Like I said its a gamble as your only being called by a better hand, but if his raising range is that wide then just cos he bets pre and Cbets doesn't mean he has to have a hand. Taking this hand down this way your probs making 5k chips which is an extra 1/3 of your stack. Thats how I play at the buisness end of MTT's anyway....
    Posted by FlashFlush
    Thanks FlashFlush, appreciate the feedback!

Cheers Graham
  • edited February 2011
    Thanks for all the feedback guys. One further thought, how would you views change in the following situations, all at mid stage of tournament blinds 300/600

1) He was a very tight player.
    2) Two other players were still in (I am first to act).
    3) Three other players in (I am first to act).
    4) Two other players in I'm last to act, they both checked.
    5) Two other players in, first checks, other one bets 3/4 pot.

Sorry for the barrage of scenarios, you comments so far have been really useful.

Many thanks,

Graham (STAYORGO)
  • edited February 2011
  • edited February 2011
    In Response to Re: What to do with 2nd Pair:
    Thanks for all the feedback guys. One further thought, how would you views change in the following situations, all at mid stage of tournament blinds 300/600
     1) He was a very tight player. Fold pre
     2) Two other players were still in (I am first to act). Check / fold
    3) Three other players in (I am first to act). Check / fold
     4) Two other players in I'm last to act, they both checked. Check to improve
     5) Two other players in, first checks, other one bets 3/4 pot. Fold

Sorry for the barrage of scenarios, you comments so far have been really useful. Many thanks, Graham (STAYORGO)
    Posted by StayOrGo