You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Poker Books

edited February 2011 in The Poker Clinic
Hi,all

Could you reccomend a good poker book for me to buy as I would love to improve my poker and was wondering if any books could help

Regards  MO

Comments

• edited February 2011
    In Response to Poker Books:
    Hi,all Could you reccomend a good poker book for me to buy as I would love to improve my poker and was wondering if any books could help Regards  MO
    Posted by dangermo27
    Good evening, I would suggest the little green and the little blue book by Phil Gordon. The green one contains lots of good info for people wanting to improve their game and the blue one contains actual hands that Phil has played. He goes through his thoughts about the hand and what he puts the opponent on etc etc.
    Regards Grevo  
  • edited February 2011
    In Response to Re: Poker Books:
    In Response to Poker Books : Good evening, I would suggest the little green and the little blue book by Phil Gordon. The green one contains lots of good info for people wanting to improve their game and the blue one contains actual hands that Phil has played. He goes through his thoughts about the hand and what he puts the opponent on etc etc. Regards Grevo  
    Posted by djgrevo

+1

I mentioned this on another similar-ish post. Phil Gordon doesn't have much credibility as a player (he's basically not one of the trendies), but Little Green Book is a cracking little read.

• edited February 2011
    Not gonna be massively helpful for improving your game but two books I found great and very readable were Hansen - Every Hand Revealed and Vicky Coren - For Richer For Poorer.
  • edited February 2011
    Thanks DJ, Dave and Dude much appreciated, is there a poker bible out there?
    Regards Mo
  • edited February 2011
    Thanks DJ, Dave and Dude much appreciated, is there a poker bible out there? Regards Mo
    Posted by dangermo27
    That'd probably be Doyle Brunson's book.
  • edited February 2011
    Not gonna be massively helpful for improving your game but two books I found great and very readable were Hansen - Every Hand Revealed and Vicky Coren - For Richer For Poorer.
    Posted by Dudeskin8
    This cost me about two grand in my first year of poker! I seriously recommend that you do not buy this book. This is for very advanced players and will get you into a lot of trouble. The book takes you through his thinking in the Aussie Millions - a light year away from sitting down with your 50 quid on a Friday night!

Buy 'Hold 'Em excellence' by Lou Krieger.
  • edited February 2011
    In Response to Re: Poker Books : This cost me about two grand in my first year of poker! I seriously recommend that you do not buy this book. This is for very advanced players and will get you into a lot of trouble. The book takes you through his thinking in the Aussie Millions - a light year away from sitting down with your 50 quid on a Friday night! Buy 'Hold 'Em excellence' by Lou Krieger.
    Posted by BigBluster
    I didn't say it helped me with the game, it was just a good read. ;)
  • edited February 2011
    Yeah i wouldn't recommend playing like Gus until you are pretty good!! Some of his plays are mental. I haven't personally read Harrington's books, but most pros say they are good too.
  • edited February 2011
    Yeah i wouldn't recommend playing like Gus until you are pretty good!! Some of his plays are mental. I haven't personally read Harrington's books, but most pros say they are good too.
    Posted by djgrevo
    Im thinking about getting Gus's book would you recommened it?
  • edited February 2011
    In Response to Re: Poker Books : Im thinking about getting Gus's book would you recommened it?
    Posted by JIMMYMAD
    I haven't read his book yet but just by watching him on youtube and TV you wouldn't suggest to anyone to play like him.
  • edited February 2011
    In Response to Re: Poker Books : I haven't read his book yet but just by watching him on youtube and TV you wouldn't suggest to anyone to play like him.
    Posted by djgrevo
    Yep same ive watched him play the 'High Stakes Poker' some of the moves he pulls off are unbeliveable
  • edited February 2011
    How to make a million from online poker - by nigel goldman. 

• edited February 2011
    How to make a million from online poker - by nigel goldman. 
    Posted by hurst05
    Good Hursty yh?
  • edited February 2011
    id definately reccomend it to both beginners and more experienced players. starts with a few profiles of professionals you may never have heard and their stories. then goes onto talk about valueing your pocket cards and explains how to calculate all the different kinds of odds of playing each hand etc. also goes into tells in online poker just simple stuff you may not have thought to think of before. tips on playing in position etc etc. only cost me £8 so great value for monies. it was a prize once to win for a comp on skypoker to so must have some stature among poker books.
  • edited February 2011
    Cheers Hursty lad, shall be purchasing just had a look on amazon only £4!
  • edited February 2011
    Thanks very much for all your reccys and for your time,
    Regards Mo