You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Heads up opponents losing internet connection

edited February 2011 in Poker Chat
Hi everyone

I was just wondering if there is an etiquette to follow when playing heads up against an opponent who keeps losing internet connection.

I was playing in a bounty hunter tournament and got down to the final two and my opponent was constantly losing his connection. Is the etiquette to fold your hands in these circumstances, check the hands down or just to take advantage and take their chips? Is there any way you can pause the game until your opponent is back?

The first time it happened I raised a few hands to take the chips but when it kept happening I folded a lot of good hands or just checked them down.

I eventually won the tournament but just wanted to know if anyone else has had a similar situation and what they done.

Thanks

Comments

• edited February 2011
    In Response to Heads up opponents losing internet connection:
    Hi everyone I was just wondering if there is an etiquette to follow when playing heads up against an opponent who keeps losing internet connection. I was playing in a bounty hunter tournament and got down to the final two and my opponent was constantly losing his connection. Is the etiquette to fold your hands in these circumstances, check the hands down or just to take advantage and take their chips? Is there any way you can pause the game until your opponent is back? The first time it happened I raised a few hands to take the chips but when it kept happening I folded a lot of good hands or just checked them down. I eventually won the tournament but just wanted to know if anyone else has had a similar situation and what they done. Thanks
    Posted by marengo
    I've been in your position a few times b4 but only in heads-up play, never at the end of a mtt. In my case I kept folding when I was sb with the hope he/she can get their connection back fairly quickly but it was not always the case. As long as I feel morally that I have given them say 10 mins to come back on, then I can't beat myself up about it and no one ever came back to me to moan.
    In your case I would I certainly would check it down for 10mins, esp considering it's a mtt and it's H.U. but that's only my opinion and I'm sure plenty of members will have opposite views.............my initial  reading of your post makes me think you're an honourable and honest player so don't feel bad....it wasn't your fault.

• edited February 2011
    if they are a forum reg i will slow it down and fold my sb for 5/10 mins, if i dont know them "fill ya boots!!!"
  • edited February 2011
    Not ALL of these players are losing 'internet connection' imo.cos i myself get 'disconnected' from the table BUT my internet is still running fine.
  • edited February 2011
    i`v had where oppo could only chat but not play, said i wait and keep folding till he/she could reconnect, after ten mins they told me to take the the blinds as blinds where getting bigger but said leave it 5 mins then i will, as it turned out they could not re-connect so even though i took it down, it still was bitter win, though i`m sure i would have won anyway as i was 3 to 1 chip leader
  • edited February 2011
    Rob him blind.
  • edited February 2011
    In Response to Re: Heads up opponents losing internet connection:
    Rob him blind.
    Posted by DOHHHHHHH
    +1
  • edited February 2011
    Rob him blind.
    Posted by DOHHHHHHH
    Definitely a contender for the fair play award post of the week!!!

• edited February 2011
    The blinds are going up all the time, you can't ignore that. 

You have to remember as well that you might win their big blind with cards you shouldn't when you have rags, but if you get dealt good cards - you could win the HU with them if your opponent was connected, if they're disconnected you're only going to win their blind still.

I'd say a fair compromise between being fair to your opponent and being sensible would be to leave a third of a blind level for them to reconnect. 
  • edited February 2011
    if they are a forum reg i will slow it down and fold my sb for 5/10 mins, if i dont know them "fill ya boots!!!"
    Posted by pod1
    This or anyone i play regular will slow down, i usually give a couple of levels although 1 reg i play on here didnt do same for me the other month which i was not impressed
  • edited February 2011
    In Response to Re: Heads up opponents losing internet connection : This or anyone i play regular will slow down, i usually give a couple of levels although 1 reg i play on here didnt do same for me the other month which i was not impressed
    Posted by YOUNG_GUN
    The rotten scoundrel,name and shame em luv ;o)
  • edited February 2011
    they dont really use the forum but on my friends list on here lol i did send a nice pm and played since
  • edited February 2011
    they dont really use the forum but on my friends list on here lol i did send a nice pm and played since
    Posted by YOUNG_GUN
    bet they only did it because they where ( blinded ) by the shirt and was mis-clicking
  • edited February 2011
    Depends on if u know the HU opponent for the amount of time but im generally giving a few minutes simply because I know how I would feel if roles were reversed.  

If there's any such thing as karma, the poker gods will shine favourably on u when they do return. ;)
  • edited February 2011

Hi everyone

Thank you all for your replies and advice. Most appreciated.

It seems the ethical thing to do is fold your small blinds and I will do that if I ever find myself in that situation again. I think debs may be right when she said he may just be disconnected from the table as he said he had to watch AA and QQ being folded when he got back on so he must have still been connected to the internet to see that. I don't know what the problem was but it must have happened to him at least half a dozen times if not more during the heads up play.

Anyway what goes around comes around. I was playing another bounty hunter tournament just last night with over 340 runners. I was 2nd in chips with 9 players left when my 5 year old son got out of bed as he was sick. I had to leave the table and by the time I cleaned him, changed his bed and pj's, wiped up the mess and got him settled back in bed again, I got back to the game to find I had still made it to the final table but I had lost a large part of my stack and was in 5th position. My first hand when I got back was A 10 clubs and I shoved and was called by AJ and was knocked out in 6th position!