You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

was this call really THAT bad?

edited February 2011 in The Poker Clinic
this hand is from tonights 15k BH. now, don't get me wrong i know i am behind when i make this call and the villain kindly "lol" in the chat box and was telling me what a poor call it was, but i have to disagree and would like other ppls thoughts on this. my thought process before making this call was:
1. i had 8bb's
2. the blinds were gonna change to 200/400 in less than 2 mins
3. the villain had 5.5 bb's and his shoving range will be a lot wider, he could have had an under pair, in fact all i don't wanna see is jj+ and obv hands that leave me dominated kq aq etc......i know if i have 2 live cards i'm at worst 40% underdog (i think thats right?) plus (athough unlikley) he could even have a hand worse than mine
4. the biggest factor was it was BH with an £11 plus head at stake

in a normal mtt i'm folding this hand almost everytime, but in this case i don't think my call was poor, a gamble i know but one worth taking imo,
so ur opinions please poor call or not??? if you think it was poor then i would appreciate some constructive criticism
Lex18 Small blind  150.00 150.00 2188.13
waller02 Big blind  300.00 450.00 2125.00
  Your hole cards
  • J
  • Q

giddyzoe Call  300.00 750.00 4015.00
Jigsey Fold     
 All-in  1780.00 2530.00 0.00
ROBBLYNCH Fold     
Lex18 Fold     
waller02 All-in  2125.00 4655.00 0.00
giddyzoe Fold     
waller02 Unmatched bet  645.00 4010.00 645.00
waller02 Show
  • J
  • Q

Show
  • A

Flop

• J

Turn

• A

River

• K

Win Pair of Aces 4010.00  4010.00

Comments

• edited February 2011
    Even though its a BH I'd still rather get my money/chips in first, when you call here you lose all fold equity as your just calling off and fairly sure your behind or at best racing.

With that stack I'm snap shoving any unraised pot but just feel calling off is the worst option.
  • edited February 2011
    I'm personally folding everytime here because I would prefer to get my chips in first. Having said that, with value of the bounty and the fact we only have around 7.5 BB's left, it's not a terrible call. QJ is an excellent shoving hand but not a great hand to call off for your tournament.
  • edited February 2011
    yeah i know the call wasn't exactly great but i think the fact i was short and it was a BH made me do it!, also these were the best cards i had been dealt in about 20 mins so i just thought oh well here i go! lol obv in a normal mtt i'm am folded everytime. it was the fact that the villain laughed and told me what an awful call it was made me post it! wound me up a bit! i've seen a LOT worse calls in BH's anyway
  • edited February 2011
    My opinion- it's not a bad call. And the logic of get your chips in first- I couldn't agree more, normally, but in a BH you need to take your chances ASAP and 8bbs is too late IMO, you're already in the stage where your fold equity is at an absolute minimum. People will need the most minute hand possible to call you- A high, even K high might work. If they have enough chips they may even call you with 7 high. So yea, if you're lucky enough to get a really legit hand then you can expect a big chance of a double through, but with your stack I don't think you can wait around for that.

It's one of those that could go either way depending on mood, calling or folding are fairly equal in my mind here.
  • edited February 2011
    yeah im making this decision entirely on what the average amount of each pot is, i dont see any point in fizzling out of a MTT, its depressing lol. If this is your best chance of getting back in why not.