You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Thursdays SKY SPORTS £220 Double stack BIGGIE show thread!!

edited February 2011 in Poker Chat
Strap yourselves in for the DOUBLE STACKING ride of your life folks!!

Tonight it's the BIG ONE.. No not another one of Orfords Baggy Jumpers... Or even one of Tikays enthralling cricket stories (Although I can't make any promises on this one).. NOPE. It's BIGGER!!!

It's the £220 Sky Sports Double stack!!

Just 60 players at most will sit down for their place in Sky Poker tournament history ...

Not only do I have my glamourous 'assistant' on hand (Well.. ok..Tikay. He is rather pretty but does go on about some strange things at times.. Just wait 'til he's sees I've put him down as 'assistant'!! ;)

We also have the Poker LEGEND that is Mr Paul 'Action Jack' Jackson!! He'll be on hand to analyse your plays and answer your questions so make sure you post any Qs on this thread Or 'Watch weep & gasp'!!

If you've never heard of the man then check out Tikay's previous post HERE

Paul once intended to play in the 2005 London Open event, but had already booked a holiday that coincided. He went on to call Iwan Jones, whom he knew from playing online and bought a third of his action along with Nick Gibson. Jones won the $750,000 first prize, resulting in Jackson making $250,000 whilst in a caravan in Dorchester.

Not too shabby eh?!!

It's going to be one rip-roaring rollercoaster show of some world class Jiggery Poker-y.. Where the Victors will take their share of a guaranteed 8K prize pool!

So get registered now if you fancy a piece of the action!!!

Join us on 865 at 8pm SHARP!!

And GOOD LUCK!!!.

Comments

• edited February 2011
    ANOTHER EXCELLENT SHOW I EXPECT
    looking forward to watching
  • edited February 2011
    when did they up it to 60 from 50
  • edited February 2011

2 or 3 months ago, I think, Tina.

I hope you & yours are well.

See you March 12th, in Luton.

xx
  • edited February 2011
    started last month, only got about 46 runners though. but they introduced the new satellite system for it at pretty much the last minute. so was unlikely to fill. no doubt it will max out tonight im sure. 
  • edited February 2011
    GOOD LUCK to all in the 5.30pm £48 satellite!!!
  • edited February 2011
    Hey guys and girls.....

Just to let you know that we will be having our usual splash of cash action during the show, and will be visiting the £1/£2 tables this evening.

Get your questions in for Paul by posting them here or by emailing skyopen@bskyb.com.

Enjoy the show!
  • edited February 2011

How long after "that hand" did Paul find out what Phil had?

Did he have to wait till it came on TV?

Did he ask Phil afterwards? 

---------------------------------------------------------------------

What advise would Paul give to someone who has just turned pro? - Not about the decision itself, but how to go about it? - in terms of Time invested? BRM?  or general advice?

When playing a random field of players online, does Paul "ALWAYS" expect to outplay his opponents?? Is he confident everytime he sits down at a table?

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Has he ever doubted himself enough to consider quitting the game? wether it be amongst a bad run, or after a period of tilt or anything?

What's the toughest fold he has ever had to make?

Was there a defining moment on his journey when he genuinely believed he could become one of the best in the world?

--------------------------------------------------------------------

Why did West Brom sack Di Matteo?

• edited February 2011
    This is going to be a great show with Paul and LM.

Shame about the other fella.

Gutted I'm not on with Mr Jackson who's a felllow Midlander and West Brom fan. Hope he enjoyed our last minute equaliser against Wolves the other day and looking forward to hearing his thoughts on the game tonight.

My question to Paul- 

Monte Carlo Millions: November 2005- your 6-5 versus Phil Ivey's Q-8.

Do you think there has ever been a better hand of poker played by anyone in history? And if so, what is it?

If no-one has seen this by the way- may I suggest the You of Tube...
  • edited February 2011
    HI GUYS CAN YOU PLEASE SAY TY TO ALL WELL WISHERS FROM THREAD POT KETTLE SEE YA - FOR ALL THE SUPPORT AND WELL WISHES ( HOSPITAL 2MORROWS- OP ON MONDAY ) AND CAN`T WAIT TO SEE DODGY GIDDENS HANDS LOL
  • ckdckd
    edited February 2011

well that didnt go well at all out in 45th still not to bad for a free game

just to say gl to all still in

also please come and post of the sky dave vs ckd post to name my forfit if i lose to him

can i also ask paul what got him started with poker and what level did he start at and how long it took him to get to where he is now
  • edited February 2011
    Loving the analysis so far.
  • edited February 2011
    Hand number 345410894.... only coz it got me back in it after making a couple of really poor plays early on !
  • edited February 2011
    how has this not been shown?

• edited February 2011
    ran bad in this for the 6th consecutive time. go figure. set vs set. siiiiiigh.
  • edited February 2011
    Paul do you think it is a good idea for someone who is trying to improve their poker skills to invest time and money by employing a poker coach.There are loads of poker coaches online who claim they can improve anybodys game (well they would say that of course)
  • edited February 2011

hi lml, tikay, paul,

you mention that cash players are better than tournament players... i agree totally

i am now considering moving from mtts to cash having played only mtts for two years, which particular skills (or aspects of my game) do i need to strengthen most?

thanks
    rob
    aussie09
    edinburgh

• edited February 2011
    Great show, great analysis ! But not many more of mine I think. Bit of a cooler. Good luck all !
  • edited February 2011
    a question for paul who`s the best looking either side off you ????
  • edited February 2011
    Top guest, must not waste this opportunity...

Paul, what is best - the Clifton Suspension Bridge or the No. 4468 Mallard?
  • edited February 2011
    wow, peg1 has had 2 hands where hes coolered 2 of us. run better
  • ckdckd
    edited February 2011

paul how did you get into poker

what levels did you start at

how long did it take you to get where you are now

also please can you mention the sky dave vs ckd hu post please 

please let us know a forfit for me if i lose

if dave loses he will be the tealady for the pressenters for alive show lol
  • edited February 2011
    Q.  How do I get my finger to do what my brain is telling it?
  • edited February 2011
    Great show and analysis by Paul. Just a quick question as tikay has mentioned previously(a la caravan when on holiday & winning £££'s) do you still regularly stake players? And my 2nd question is who is caroline cave?(think thats what you said?) who nearly made an old man blush!!!!!!!! Cheers Dave.
  • edited February 2011
    Hi LML, Paul and  Tikay.
    Great show as always
    Just like to say a big thank you to Sky Adam and Tikay for sorting out the prize for the forum DTD (sorry about the un-ashamed plugging).

• edited February 2011
    In Response to Re: Thursdays SKY SPORTS £220 Double stack BIGGIE show thread!!:
    ran bad in this for the 6th consecutive time. go figure. set vs set. siiiiiigh.
    Posted by hurst05
    top set vs flopped straight for me :)

gg us
  • edited February 2011
    evening guys,

Pretty dissapointed tbh, but i do have a question. I must of had a run at the end there where i had 50 or so hands of absolute rubbish, hardly any spots to put my chips in, no luck at all on my bb, so basically just had to bluff with rubbish out of position. Is there anything i can do at this stage? I mean i was tempted to be aggressive, but with my stack it was all in or nothing so raising wasnt an option and bluffing was risking my tournament! Is There nothing i can do here, or shall i bluff for my tourney more but just do it in the best position possible?

• edited February 2011
    Many thanks to Action Jack and the guys.

I have been playing tourneys for a year or so now recently have had a massive downswing over the last couple of months.  I was staring to doubt my (limited) ability and was debating whether to give it up.

Action Jack has just restored a bit of my belief with his explanation of the larger variance in tourneys caompared to  cash.  His description of the bad aggressive players hit home to me as it always seems to be those players that I bust out to (trips on the flop losing to someone shoving for his gutshot or four to the flush draw being a typical one).

Thanks guys, brilliant show tonight.....awesome guest and LML and Tikay are legends :)

Cheers

Stew
  • edited February 2011
    In Response to Re: Thursdays SKY SPORTS £220 Double stack BIGGIE show thread!!:
    hi lml, tikay, paul, you mention that cash players are better than tournament players... i agree totally i am now considering moving from mtts to cash having played only mtts for two years, which particular skills (or aspects of my game) do i need to strengthen most? thanks rob aussie09 edinburgh
    Posted by aussie09
    thank you paul for your answer. absolutely brilliant.

• edited February 2011
    Just got to say Paul is a superb analyst. His explanations are thorough, yet put in a language that is easy to grasp by the listeners.
    Crikeys sake sign him up for a regular spot SKY lol.
  • edited February 2011
    I can only agree with the discussion about cash games I find most cash play very hard to read