You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Folding aces twices in a night - never again!

edited February 2011 in The Poker Clinic
I've not been on the table long (doubled up on my 3rd hand I think)

Feel free to tear into my bet size on the turn as I know that was rubbish.

I don't know an awful lot about my oppo but get the general feeling that he isn't very good.

Is the flat on the turn correct?

Is the river always a fold?

If the river is a brick, and the villain still shoves is it a call?
PlayerActionCardsAmountPotBalance
joe12345 Small blind   £0.50 £0.50 £136.71
Forest1975 Big blind   £1.00 £1.50 £47.88
  Your hole cards
  • A
  • A

Landlord Fold        
CLIOKID Raise   £4.00 £5.50 £182.25
joe12345 Call   £3.50 £9.00 £133.21
Forest1975 Fold        
Flop

• J

joe12345 Check        
CLIOKID Bet   £6.00 £15.00 £176.25
joe12345 Call   £6.00 £21.00 £127.21
Turn

joe12345 Check        
CLIOKID Bet   £12.00 £33.00 £164.25
joe12345 Raise   £24.00 £57.00 £103.21
CLIOKID Call   £12.00 £69.00 £152.25
River

• J

joe12345 All-in   £103.21 £172.21 £0.00
CLIOKID Fold        
joe12345 Muck        
joe12345 Win   £67.20   £67.20
joe12345 Return   £103.21 £1.80 £170.41

Comments

• edited February 2011
    Seems like he's shoving hoping you have the jack, i reckon he flopped a set, the raise on the turn is uber strong.
  • edited February 2011
    given how he's played it his possible hands are JT/TT/22.  the min raise on the turn is massive IMO.

personally I'd be looking at betting more flop tho.

good fold sir.
  • edited February 2011

its a fold from me, even with a brick on the river if he makes the same play

The raise on the turn is the last thing you wanna see . you,ve shown strength throughout and yet he still raises - I,d be putting him on the same hands as Scotty has

• edited February 2011
    In Response to Re: Folding aces twices in a night - never again!:
    Seems like he's shoving hoping you have the jack, i reckon he flopped a set, the raise on the turn is uber strong.
    Posted by christiann
    i wish i could say more but this about somes up my thoughts.

\Good fold imo
  • edited February 2011
    i would say 4xing otb is bad 4handed but if the blinds are both bad then its super fine
    lol minraises
  • edited February 2011

forgive my inexperience but is re-raising the turn a bad play? by just flat calling are you not allowing yourself to be bluffed off on the river? i would have bet bigger on turn £18-19 when he min-raises is not a good move to go back over the top?-we do have AA.

reading a couple of comments, people say the min-raise on the turn by the opponent is very strong and looks like a set, if thats the case & thats what u put him on, then its a fold to the raise? just wondered if someone could explain the reason for calling the turn please.

as played i would fold on the river. it looks to me like maybe top pair (AJ,KJ) he called your button raise (your range is wide so has every reason to think tp is good, got another barrel out of you on the turn-picked up on the weakness on the bet and min-raised, and hit trips on the river---this is all probably wrong lol)

would he not value bet river with a set turned f/h? or even trips? could be a busted flush-id still fold river anyway lol
  • edited February 2011
    Bet bigger on flop and turn river is a fold without a read.
  • edited February 2011
    forgive my inexperience but is re-raising the turn a bad play? by just flat calling are you not allowing yourself to be bluffed off on the river? i would have bet bigger on turn £18-19 when he min-raises is not a good move to go back over the top?-we do have AA. reading a couple of comments, people say the min-raise on the turn by the opponent is very strong and looks like a set, if thats the case & thats what u put him on, then its a fold to the raise? just wondered if someone could explain the reason for calling the turn please. as played i would fold on the river. it looks to me like maybe top pair (AJ,KJ) he called your button raise (your range is wide so has every reason to think tp is good, got another barrel out of you on the turn-picked up on the weakness on the bet and min-raised, and hit trips on the river---this is all probably wrong lol) would he not value bet river with a set turned f/h? or even trips? could be a busted flush-id still fold river anyway lol
    Posted by ratedRKO

Only the villain in the hand knows mate, your thought process seems perfectly logical to me!
    Everyone's allowed to offer their two penny's so don't worry about how much experience you have :-D
  • edited February 2011
    forgive my inexperience but is re-raising the turn a bad play? by just flat calling are you not allowing yourself to be bluffed off on the river? i would have bet bigger on turn £18-19 when he min-raises is not a good move to go back over the top?-we do have AA. reading a couple of comments, people say the min-raise on the turn by the opponent is very strong and looks like a set, if thats the case & thats what u put him on, then its a fold to the raise? just wondered if someone could explain the reason for calling the turn please. as played i would fold on the river. it looks to me like maybe top pair (AJ,KJ) he called your button raise (your range is wide so has every reason to think tp is good, got another barrel out of you on the turn-picked up on the weakness on the bet and min-raised, and hit trips on the river---this is all probably wrong lol) would he not value bet river with a set turned f/h? or even trips? could be a busted flush-id still fold river anyway lol
    Posted by ratedRKO

What happens when we reraise the turn?

He will fold most one pair hands, which we are ahead of (although he may get stubborn with AJ).
    He calls / raises with two pair / set hands.

Therefore we are getting him to put more money in with better hands, and getting him to fold when we are ahead.

Raising only really works if he plays his draws  like this, but unless we have a read to say he min raises strong draws, it seems a weird line to take with a draw. (Either a call, or a bigger raise to try to get us to fold would make more sense).

• edited February 2011
    In Response to Re: Folding aces twices in a night - never again! : What happens when we reraise the turn? He will fold most one pair hands, which we are ahead of (although he may get stubborn with AJ). He calls / raises with two pair / set hands. Therefore we are getting him to put more money in with better hands, and getting him to fold when we are ahead. Raising only really works if he plays his draws  like this, but unless we have a read to say he min raises strong draws, it seems a weird line to take with a draw. (Either a call, or a bigger raise to try to get us to fold would make more sense).
    Posted by jakally
    really helpful post - cheers mate.