You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

against players that will not fold

edited February 2011 in The Poker Clinic
i have been on the table for about 25 hands. about 5 hands in i stacked the villain and he bought his way back in.  Since buying back he has not folded any hand he has shoved about 8 times pre flop, about 5 times post flop and the rest were showdowns in which about 3 of these he played slow, but holding fantastic hands, the others he has lost quite big holding nothing or low pair. Against anyone else im playing this alot stronger on the flop and on the turn. How do you think i should have played and should i just give up on the river.
PlayerActionCardsAmountPotBalance
beeasyonme Small blind  £0.02 £0.02 £7.24
PokerPaul2 Big blind  £0.04 £0.06 £6.31
  Your hole cards

perry02 Call  £0.04 £0.10 £1.50
villain Call  £0.04 £0.14 £3.73
beeasyonme Call  £0.02 £0.16 £7.22
PokerPaul2 Check     
Flop

beeasyonme Bet  £0.16 £0.32 £7.06
PokerPaul2 Fold     
perry02 Fold     
villain Call  £0.16 £0.48 £3.57
Turn

beeasyonme Bet  £0.20 £0.68 £6.86
villain Call  £0.20 £0.88 £3.37
River

• K

Comments

• edited February 2011
    Snap fold preflop, but most importantly don't bluff at 4NL.
  • edited February 2011
    Playing against someone like that, I fold pre.
    Bide your time.
    As played, you've no idea where you are and only have a small pair. Check fold. You have all the information you need on him.
  • edited February 2011
    Fold pre, sit tight and make him pay when you hit a monster - take him down to value town!!!
  • edited February 2011
    flop the nuts or get Aces and bet HUGGGGGE
  • edited February 2011
    Folding pre with 68s and getting 8/1, even OOP, is unsound.
  • edited February 2011
    In Response to Re: against players that will not fold:
    Folding pre with 68s and getting 8/1, even OOP, is unsound.
    Posted by BigBluster
    Yea i agree with this.
  • edited February 2011

Pre flop call is fine.

Against these type of opponents, check raises are sometimes better in this spot.
    Puts them to a bigger decision, and if it checks through then getting a free card is not the worst thing in the world, given that you probs still get a call if you hit.
  • edited February 2011
    I probably let this go pre-flop and it saves you from this situation you find yourself in.

I think once you have decided to push the hand then i would be betting bigger to get him off it, your bet after the river should be pot sized plus to push this through but it is high risk if he is a serial caller.
  • edited February 2011
    thanks all for the advice my bf found me posting this rather amusing. I think i have to be calling any gapped suited cards here for 2p right, i dont think folding is much of an option. I think checking til i hit the right cards is the best thing to do and if anyone is curious he had K3.
  • edited February 2011
    thanks all for the advice my bf found me posting this rather amusing. I think i have to be calling any gapped suited cards here for 2p right, i dont think folding is much of an option. I think checking til i hit the right cards is the best thing to do and if anyone is curious he had K3.
    Posted by beeasyonme
    By calling with these cards out of position, you put yourself in a situation you were uncertain of and unfortunately it cost you. I would seriously reconsider your starting hands from this position and you will find that this type of situation does'nt crop up as often. You imply that it is only 2p but it cost you a bit more than that in the end. Play the same hand from the dealer button and it becomes easier.

I give you this advice as a 2p/4p player myself who is pretty much still a novice but i encountered very similar problems before i learnt more about position and starting hands.
  • edited February 2011
    In Response to Re: against players that will not fold : By calling with these cards out of position, you put yourself in a situation you were uncertain of and unfortunately it cost you. I would seriously reconsider your starting hands from this position and you will find that this type of situation does'nt crop up as often. You imply that it is only 2p but it cost you a bit more than that in the end. Play the same hand from the dealer button and it becomes easier. I give you this advice as a 2p/4p player myself who is pretty much still a novice but i encountered very similar problems before i learnt more about position and starting hands.
    Posted by DrSharp
    ok point taken but about 40% of the time im winning a flop like that and even more against better players i think as im playing this more aggresively. Its just a difference in opinion, most of the time im calling and losing 2 pence, but given a kind flop i can win alot more. My problem here was playing poorly post flop i think 

• edited February 2011
    In Response to Re: against players that will not fold : ok point taken but about 40% of the time im winning a flop like that and even more against better players i think as im playing this more aggresively. Its just a difference in opinion, most of the time im calling and losing 2 pence, but given a kind flop i can win alot more. My problem here was playing poorly post flop i think 
    Posted by beeasyonme
    How often are you hitting a flop like this? Even then you are still 2nd favourite if 40% is correct. Hey, i are'nt preaching to you as i am still learning the game and consider myself a beginner but i would think you lose this hand from pre-flop most times. Dont think it as 2p, think of it as half a blind. Every bit of advice i have got says throw those down pre-flop. Poker is a game where you have to have the odds/percentages in your favour and i am afraid that is'nt the case here. Saying that, depends on your table image!

Sounds like a difference of opinion that we wont get over. lol.
  • edited February 2011

If you have been advised to play tight from the SB then that's good advice.
    If this pot was raised then folding is fine.

However it's 2p into a pot of 14p, with the chance to win a bigger pot.
    Playing from the SB makes it harder to get value if you hit, but it doesn't mean we cannot play hands with good potential, when we can get in cheaply.